Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Spug" Williams Portfolio

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Spug polycounter lvl 12
Here we go...gotta get the kinks worked out and add new stuff but here it is...

Portfolio

Replies

• pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Not bad, just thought it;d be much easier to figure if the character art and environment work were seperated and not bunched up like it is now...

Can't open resume and contact.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    nice page.. but a lot of "untitled page"-pages smile.gif

also think some kind of seperation between 2d and 3d would be good..
  • Spug
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    This is def a WIP so let me know what you guys think. Thanks for the crits so far
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18

Put working links to Contact and Resume at top. Also contact information (at least email) should be listed on each page in some fashion.

Organize pieces that go together. For example, I noticed there's concepts for a character and a scene, then models for both of those somewhat scattered about. Also, it's tough to judge what's a concept and what's 3d.

Lots of wips and finished 3d spread out to look like more work. It's tough to tell if any of these concepts are complete or idea sketches. They mostly look good, but say "quick sketch" instead of "portfolio material". You've got the box and generator on page one, but then again in a larger scene on page two.

Basically, instead of having 30 thumbnails over two pages, you should only have about 10 on one page. With improved organization and more final pieces this should be strong. The layout is fine.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    your drawings are great. yea, group them together.

the 3d cube has very dark shadows. against the white background its very hard to see (and my monitor is fine).

u dont need more than 1 frontal facial close up

finish 1 or 2 of the upper-torso-front-view pieces and scrap the others. quantity < quality

some pages dont have the next/prev arrows, i like them.

in practice i think that, despite ur skills, ur folio isn't focused enough. it doesn't show enuf consistency on various fields or high skill in one in particular. u need 2-3 great pieces of each skill u'r selling, and that's it. 1 of a kind is nice but u need more. ur drawings are top but what you show don't sell too much in our commercial terms. so, tighten up the folio, opt for a stronger more decisive impact.
  • Spug
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    I def agree with both of you guys cholden, and shotgun, thanks so much for the crits. I will break up the site, by having finished work in one area, rather than having sketches and finished work mixed. Thanks agian guys. This is why i joined polycount!
  • tremulant
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Yeap, I agree with most everything shotgun said...Would be nice to put the concepts that have finished 3d in sets together from idea to finished 3d art...You've got some really nice drawings in here, just finish some of them...maybe that sweet beast dude in your profile...just color him in..done! Take off the human guy, he looks odd in a lot of ways, and isnt really finished...as he is pretty much a base mesh...

Heny way, nice start dude, you'll get a job no problem.

Dave
  • Spug
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    yeah i was plannin on taking a lot of the unfinished work down, I just have most of this up for school reasons.
  • Divide By Zer0
    something you could try is a sidebar navigation frame. With a link to an update news rss feed, a link to your individual 2D and 3D works, with links on 2D concept work to the 3D final and vice-versa. Add a contact link on the navigation bar with your info, and, if you want, add some links to places where you get inspiration or information. tutorial links are always good.

good luck with your online portfolio! I'm in the process of doing that myself. feel free to take a look for layout design. its in my signature. also check out www.poopinmymouth.com for a good online portfolio layout, Spark's is really nice too.
  • TWilson
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty good overall. A note about yourself somewhere outside your resume would be nice. As someone who's been looking at portfolios since I started, one of the first things I often look for is the location of the artist. I don't want to fall in love with someone's work who is in Brazil when I'm in Vancouver.

Also an AOL email address might not be something that you'll stick with forever. I would get a gmail account or other free email that you see sticking around for a while. That way if you move or switch to shaw or what have you, you'll still get your job offers.
  • Spug
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    I updated my site, this is not the final version, it is still a wip. I still want to re arrange the thumbs with wip 3d on one, finished 3d on another, wip 2d and so on.
  • Armanguy
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    About your resume i hate clicking on resume and having to download them i know im just really picky if i have to download anything froma website im get really annoyed why dont you make a page for it?
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    looks good

like everyone else is saying- I know your going for a clean/simple look, but you really should have more "at a glance" type info right up front, or on a separate page. Employers like sites that make their jobs easy, because employers are lazy :P Dont make people who could potentially be payin your bills down the road have to dig too much.
  • Spug
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    armanguy, what if an employer wants to download my resume...and cant(like your resume)then forgets what my website name is later on, and is too lazy to go to my email. I like the idea of having it on a page, and a option to dowload it, thanks for the crit.

konstruct: thanks for the crit, and I do need that loot!
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    clear, and simple. The content is the focus. I like it. Lots of great work on display as well.

for the resume, a simple solution would be to provide a link to a PDF version.
  • bounchfx
    I think it looks great.

Only thing that bothers me is that I can't click on your email on the bottom and have it open up