Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Primal Productions - Help Wanted

Team name:

Primal Productions

Project name:

Project X (Development Name)

Brief description:

A cross between an MMO and a Space Simulator, Project X is an attempt to push the limits of science fiction space gaming further that just humans flying ships 500-1000 years from now. Try more like 5 billion years from now, when our galaxy has completely merged with the Andromeda and Canis minor galaxies and the human race as we know it no longer exists. Play as the descendants of human kind as well as a host of other alien races.

Target aim:

In my personal opinion, (not that this is the motive of the entire team) our efforts will be focused on offering a free entertaining game to attract attention to ourselves and pad resumes.

Compensation:

Our efforts at Primal Productions are purely to establish ourselves. Our members donate their time in order to help the company succeed, although once we have a product that produces capital any profit will be divided among the contributing member of that product. (If they so choose.)

Technology:

I believe C++, opengl, visual c, and who knows what else.

Talent needed:

.User Interface Artists
.Concept Artists
.Texture Artists
.3D Artists
.Writers
.Voice Actors
.Documentation Lead
.All manner of Programmers
.Play Testers

http://www.gamersarcade.com/devforum

Contacts:

Jayecifer@aim.com

Previous Work by Team:

TheUmpteenth - http://david-farrell.000webhost.com
RooftopBen - http://rooftopmusic.com/
Jayecifer - http://theuniversal.net , http://www.jayecifer.com

Additional Info:

We plan on starting additional projects if the amount of team members willing to work exceeds the amount we require. So come one, come all.

A little of the story:

An experimental deep exploration starship pioneered by Rad`Ni scientists has the ability to jump galaxies instantly via their experimental start drive. While out exploring the far reach of distant galaxies they end up coming across a massive shell like structure that seems to be made of metal conglomerate's. The nearly boundless curiosity of the Rad`Ni draws them closer, inspecting this amazing find when they become engulfed by these vacuum Mullusk drones, which pull them against the hive and begin consuming their ship(That's what they do they eat asteroids and just about anything they can find to build their shell structures), in a panic the radni active their drive to return home. Sooner rather than later they realize that they have brought this menace with them into our galaxy. The hive mind of the vacuum mullusk realizes that he can no longer feel many of his drones, nodes, or sister hives and concludes that he must have been transported away from the rest. Gathering it's limited intelligence the hive mind orders his remaining drones to conceal the remainder of the experimental ship with in its hive. Literally sealing it in with the very metal the drones had consumed...(Read More on Forum)

Here is some of our recent concept art.

Unfinished Dranaar
l_ab121b1a29ff6c842ed8f0031a5110e9.jpg

Vacuum Mollusk Drone sketch
l_2d3cb637c1bb07784a39d051d80fc49b.jpg

Vacuum Mollusk Hive sketch
l_0ac65760c51acb65b1eb76ab2b45a79f.jpg

Replies

• Monochrome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why, why do people still want to add one more game to the already saturated market of MMORPGs?

I mean, you guys created DoD. You're closer to win and god than most indie game companies ever been. Cmon, dont waste your time on creating another unsuccessful MMORPG that will only end up getting played by a bunch of 13 year olds.
  • Jayecifer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Am I to believe that nothing is worth doing if someone else is already doing it? I mean what part of the market isn't saturated with a specific type of game? Seriously man, realize what your saying.
  • Monochrome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thing is, not only the MMORPG market is a particullary contested area while it is also currently monopolized by the giants of the gaming industry. Every month we see new MMORPGs getting released and suddenly being backstabbed by the same media who originally promoted them. Besides this fact, creating an MMORPG is an extremely exaustive process and perhaps the most time consuming in therms of development. That only makes it a bigger disappointment when most developers who tried so hard realize they spent so much effort in creating a game that will probably be forgotten in less than 6 months (take Two Worlds, Sword of the New World, etc) and to be honest, it seems the only way to succeed in creating a popular MMORPG is to explore an already popular franchise, like world of warcraft, or most recently Warhammer or Lord of the Rings.

I didnt meant to insult your work, I was simply trying to warn you. I know you guys are experienced developers and such, but come on, you can waste your time on something more worthwhile! Be innovative and explore less saturated genres while giving people what they want: a game to play for the rest of their lives, like you did with DoD.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Saturation of marketplace is not a concern comparable to keeping an mmo running.

What kind of costs do you think go into the infrastructure to running an MMO? As in servers, support, etc. just to keep the game running 24/7. Hard to figure dollar amounts but it's going to be huge. We're talking tens of thousands per month if not low to mid six figures.

If you're small enough to run a single server, volunteer support players it could be possible. Unless you're able to spend a good deal of your own funds, you'll likely end up running the equivalent of a quake server. Unfortunately, anytime the server goes down everybody quits. So if you can afford 1-3k a month for multiple servers, you may be alright.

It IS proven possible that the small guys can run a mmo. Some pirates set up Lineage 2 servers that had around 50 to 100k people on them that they collected money from here in the US. They were busted of course, but still able to run the servers.

As for the development and creating a fun product that works; that I can't vouch for.