MGS4 Realtime Demonstration

Uly
polycounter lvl 15

Replies

• dnorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dnorth polycounter lvl 18
    Looks totally awesome. For me, seems to live up to all the movies we've been seeing for the past couple years. The bit with the men's magazine was kind of a mysterious feature, but I guess how can you complain about that? In fact, more games should have a built-in men's magazine.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    another link here

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22703.html

enjoy kids smile.gif

EDIT: oh damn, the gametrailers vid seems to end abruptly frown.gif
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, I laughed my ass off all the way through that shit was awesome when he camo'd to the statue display...wow

I wanna play it now, damn it!
    Btw, his boots don't camo sort of stick's out that way but eh minor thing really.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    hahah yeah i love the cock grab.. that will definitely keep the other soldiers from spotting you if your clenching on to statue dong.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    It's like they included every feature they ever thought of, and never cut a single one of them for reasons like, we dont have time, or its too hard, or its too weird. They fucking kept EVERYTHING.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    MGS was always a franchise that kind of blurred realistic with hollywood action and lots of weirdness and humour.

It's the kind of game that doesnt take itself too seriously.

Per: try the gamevideos link again, i wasnt able to get through at first .. but now it loads, albeit a bit slow.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    just got done. looks fucking hot.

fuck i hope it comes to the 360. don't want to buy a ps3 to play it...
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    damn that game is pretty!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTcNUoxCmHI

off-topic, but slightly related.. apparently MGS composer Harry Gregson-Williams was inspired by a classical russian composer ... Kojima is so surprised smile.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Ok yeah that looks freaking hot... I really hope it comes to 360 as this still isn't enough to get a ps3 for yet.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm... the game trailers one was the only one that worked for me, but it seemed to be very... unexciting? I dunno, looks very nice and has some cool little features, but it all looked so sort of... just going through the motions, like it lacked challenge or excitement. But then, maybe that's cause the guy playing it knew what he was doing.

Either way, it looks perdy. I've never played an MG game, but hope to try this one some day. Not enough to get me going based on the video I saw there though.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome. I love how even with all this new tech, they still keep in touch with the clean, MGS visual style. It looks like they still UV and texture as if they're using low res textures.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    It looked nice but the gameplay didn't look fun at all. Part of the problem may have been that they demo'd it with God mode on - so there really was no pressure to the situations but the action aspects of the game felt very lacking compared to western 3rdps/fps.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mother...... FUDGER!

but it'll come to the 360.... it has to! with exclusive content right? right? RIGHT?!

never liked the isometric/top down style view of MGS, but this new camera angle, and interactivity looks uber-cool! however, i HAVE been screwed over by gameplay videos before, so i will pretend i haven't seen this.....
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah my pants are soiled
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm i like the research they didn't do...

"this takes place in the middle east" and naked statue don't go together... In Italy and the close areas around there sure but not the middle east.
    I really wish they would have put more thought into the game, where did the oil drum come from; and all his guns? The bad guys only drop what you can see why would your guy be different? I don't mind it when were talking about small arms but the big shit being pulled out of his ass just kills it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Konami made another statement recently that it is coming out for 360, some 5-6 months after it's PS3 debut.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nono vassasgo, konami just said [unsurely] that it will be only for ps3. hinting very indirectly that it'll be for 360 aswell. or at least that's what i heard!

as for not doin the research properly, good point godzero!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bah, either way, it's sexy smile.gif
    I'm VERY pleased to see they not only increased texture resolution, but the framerate increased a lot.
  • Needles
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Man the moment Mgs4 is announced for 360 is the day ill join the "next gen" crowd.
  • Fuse
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    Great, now I have to find a way to get a PS3....
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

I really wish they would have put more thought into the game, where did the oil drum come from; and all his guns? The bad guys only drop what you can see why would your guy be different? I don't mind it when were talking about small arms but the big shit being pulled out of his ass just kills it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking those things out would have pretty much destroyed the character of the Metal Gear games. Snake always has an infinite inventory, and some fairly absurd items (such as, like, six different cardboard boxes.)
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hot damn, I knew the wait would be worth it. Everything looks superb. You could definitely feel the tension build just from watching the video, as the battle began to heat up.

The OctoCamo looks like it could lead to some very interesting gameplay. Posing as a statue was pretty amusing, and it has that trademark Metal Gear humor about it.

I really can't wait for this. I had best start saving my pennies now, because I intend to pick up a PlayStation 3 just for this game.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    They fucking kept EVERYTHING.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, except for here's betting that MGS4 features the continuing adventures of one of the world's premiere worst legacy control schemes. as in MGS3, i'm sure you'll have to hold down roughly 3 buttons simultaneously in order to aim a weapon ironsights in firstperson.. and then, of course, release a button, not hit it, in order to fire.

get ready for the 7 button combo (with 4 button simultaneous press) in order to throw a grenade while on your back!

i know i'll probably end up playing it at some point, but MGS4 looks like it's keeping all its dirty little habits. so very desperately in need of a control overhauls; these days it beats out the old Tomb Raider games and RE games for holding onto horrible control schemes.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    They fucking kept EVERYTHING.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, except for here's betting that MGS4 features the continuing adventures of one of the world's premiere worst legacy control schemes. as in MGS3, i'm sure you'll have to hold down roughly 3 buttons simultaneously in order to aim a weapon ironsights in firstperson.. and then, of course, release a button, not hit it, in order to fire.

get ready for the 7 button combo (with 4 button simultaneous press) in order to throw a grenade while on your back!

i know i'll probably end up playing it at some point, but MGS4 looks like it's keeping all its dirty little habits. so very desperately in need of a control overhauls; these days it beats out the old Tomb Raider games and RE games for holding onto horrible control schemes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, by the looks, it did receive an overhaul. Aiming looks exactly how Splinter Cell handles it, and rolling onto your back I'm pretty sure is simply tilting the controller, and then tilting it again when you want to be on your stomach. Also has the Splinter Cell / Gears grenade toss too. (Thank fuck. Metal Gear's grenades were shit.) Seeing as he said you could play the whole game in first person... (Moving was not possible in first person the previous MGS's, unless you were playing Portable Ops.) I'm guessing that's been changed to toggle rather than hold. Toggle is so much easier on the hands in nearly every case.

This isn't completely ruling it out though, you're absolutely right in dogging its former control schemes, but I smell change, and damn does change smell gut.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    So, his name is Solid Snake, he’s supposedly “choking” some dude on the ground.. I dunno looked more like spooning to me. Then he proceeds to do the camo ground hump crawl. Also holds onto a statues genitals for dear life, and gives the baddie more than just your standard pat down. Of course he’ll also be hanging with Raiden his ambiguous sidekick. Frankly, I’m just really surprised it was a girly mag which he pulled out. haha what a game. Impressive none the less.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Nah, the controls were fine, Like every metal gear games, The first 15mins u get used to thoses backward japanese controls, sure, then Easy, Of course Some people have problem using more then 1 buttons BUT HEY! each is own! lol
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    So, his name is Solid Snake, he’s supposedly “choking” some dude on the ground.. I dunno looked more like spooning to me. Then he proceeds to do the camo ground hump crawl. Also holds onto a statues genitals for dear life, and gives the baddie more than just your standard pat down. Of course he’ll also be hanging with Raiden his ambiguous sidekick. Frankly, I’m just really surprised it was a girly mag which he pulled out. haha what a game. Impressive none the less.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, although if i am not mistaken, the crawl is sourced from a real stealth technique used in the military when in camouflage/ghillie suit..
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I dunno looked more like spooning to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

jealous! wink.gif
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    hahah
    Looks awesome
    old perverted guy in a stealth game? During a war?
    What the hell could be better?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    LOL, awesome looking game/video, but damn, Snake needs to get laid.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I really liked the video, and the game is looking sweet. I'm glad they've got rid of the alert timer and made stealth an option rather than a forced "you need stealth or you get enemy respawning constantly until you evade" type gameplay. The PS3 is looking more and more tempting all the time.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    the only thing that looks like ass in this is the first person view. you just don't put the gun in the middle of the bloody screen
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"dont ask, dont tell...but you can watch"
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the only thing that looks like ass in this is the first person view. you just don't put the gun in the middle of the bloody screen

[/ QUOTE ]

He looked through the sight so yes it would be in middle of your view...
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but it's in the middle of your view through one eye... so maybe it would be better if a semicircle covering about 25% of the left side of the screen was blacked out (to simulate the left eye being closed), and then the rifle would be centered within the remaining 75% of the screen (so it would be about 12.5% to the right of absolute center).
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not true, actually, snake has two perfectly functioning eyes, and can quite obviously see through the solid eye system normally, when he's not activating any of it's special vision modes.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but it's in the middle of your view through one eye... so maybe it would be better if a semicircle covering about 25% of the left side of the screen was blacked out (to simulate the left eye being closed), and then the rifle would be centered within the remaining 75% of the screen (so it would be about 12.5% to the right of absolute center).

[/ QUOTE ]
    ... This post made me roll my eyes.
    But at the same time, I do like that attention to detail, which most likely will be in the final version.

If you played MGS3, your character loses an eye at one point in the game, and wears an eyepatch for the remainder. After this point in the game, whenever you enter first person, the effect is similar to what you just described.

On the other hand, you're supposed to be able to play in this view throughout the whole game, so I wouldn't count on it. And on another note, in previous MGS's, you could aim in first person with, and without the ironsight. Things will probably change, these guys pay closer attention to details than any other studio in existence. (Don't mean that in a bad way, but Kojima goes up and beyond beyond beyond the call of duty.)

Edit: @ Suprore. Yes, that's true. But you still look through ironsights with one eye. : )
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Edit: @ Suprore. Yes, that's true. But you still look through ironsights with one eye. : )

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true, most people value the ability to see around them in combat -- at the very least, a legendary mercenary should be capable of it.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    you guys are arguing realism in a game that involves giant walking robots who shit green feces.. characters that are half cyborg half human and part ballet dancers, infinite inventory, crotch knockouts etc, ... and a villian who is taking over a character's body and mind via the grafted arm that's been attached to the host...

just putting it all in perspective...
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Things will probably change, these guys pay closer attention to details than any other studio in existence. (Don't mean that in a bad way, but Kojima goes up and beyond beyond beyond the call of duty.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno about that. look at some of the logic flaws already pointed out. Not saying they aren't pretty good, but from an outsider's point of view (Very neutral on the whole MGS thing) that doesn't seem right to me.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you played MGS3, your character loses an eye at one point in the game, and wears an eyepatch for the remainder. After this point in the game, whenever you enter first person, the effect is similar to what you just described.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I didn't realize that... I've only ever played the first MGS on the original Playstation.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true, most people value the ability to see around them in combat -- at the very least, a legendary mercenary should be capable of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever even shot a firearm? It's impossible to line up iron sights with binocular vision (which is why you have to close one eye). There are certain types of sights that allow you to aim with both eyes open (ie red dot sights), but it just doesn't work with iron sights, no matter how "legendary" of a mercenary you are.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    right or not, it is still paying attention to details.

he just doesn't care if the particular detail detracts from the overall realism. I've always liked that about the MGS series... I like fighting fatties on rollerblades, psychic gimps, and vampires in a stealth game. Hell, MGS 2 was about a character who was semi-self aware that he was, in fact, a shallow game character.

I look towards these games for video-gamey fun - not strict adherence to realism. Hooray for cardboard boxes!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything I've ever heard has said it's perfectly possible to aim with both eyes open in iron sights. As far as I understand, the US military trains soldiers to fight that way -- I'm pretty sure, actually, most optics (like red dot sights), or at least older ones, need to be fired one-eyed, but otherwise you should use both. I could be wrong, but everything I've ever heard points to using both eyes, if you can.

Plus, Snake can hit a target from a mile away without using the sights on his weapon, so, it doesn't really matter if he's doing it wrong or not. tongue.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    FFS i want it NOW!!! D:
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTcNUoxCmHI

off-topic, but slightly related.. apparently MGS composer Harry Gregson-Williams was inspired by a classical russian composer ... Kojima is so surprised smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's quite eerie. There are actually several phrases in the Sviridov composition which sound like they are straight out of the MGS2 theme. This isn't unusual though. Composers borrow from other pieces all the time. Perhaps Harry Gregson-Williams had heard the piece before and it subconsciously influenced the MGS2 theme. The trick is to cover your source cleverly by sufficiently altering the borrowed segment. After studying the these two themes side by side however I can definitely see a clear semblance in more than one place.

Edit: My bad. Apparently the original theme was composed by Tappi Iwase (TAPPY). Harry Gregson-Williams just re-arranged the piece.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    MGS4 + RE5 == me sold on a 360
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    MGS4 + RE5 == me sold on a 360

[/ QUOTE ]

But MGS4 hasn't been confirmed for the 360 yet, has it?