Home General Discussion

Working in Canada?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Hito interpolator
For the people who have done this. What papers do I need to file? How long does the application process usually take? Do I need both Work Permit and Visa? or just Work permit? What differences are there for Quebec and rest of Canada? Anyone had experience working in Canada under NAFTA? What about doing Freelance work for foreign employers?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• indian_boy
    if ur a foreigner, i think u need a work permit. i shouldn't be replying here, cuz im diplomatic and the process is slightly different, but u need to have a work permit and a SIN number..... i THINK.... i dunno why im replying.
  • Rwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    try cgtalk forums too, there's more of a international face there.
  • spacemonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Your employer should handle the paper work. The time it takes to get a work permit depends on the province you are going to be working in and how bad the back log is there wink.gif
    You just need a work permit to work there. If you want to apply for residency I think you can do this after 6months of working/living in the country. Citizenship requires a greater length of time.
    Quebec has more complications than the other provinces afaik

Freelance work for foreign employers - what context do you mean?
  • indian_boy
    spacemonkey, where do u stay? esriously speaking, are u in the atlantic ocean? cuz ur Location says UKanada, which i'm guessing could be 'in-between uk and canada.' Atlantic Ocean strikes my mind first. seriously though,,, where?
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    do some math... He works at bioware.. Location in Ontario Canada... Comes from ol' Blighty.. Unless he's a ukrainian in disguise!
    UKanada!

• indian_boy
    wait wait.... bioware is in ontario? which city?!
    please say toronto!

oh, and do i still qualify for the following trump card:
    'im still new to the country, sorry if i didn't know'? laugh.gif!

i actually didn't know that bioware is _only_ in canada lol.
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Ontario? Hell no! Bioware is in the great land of Alberta, Canada. Specifically Edmonton. laugh.gif

[edit]Oh, and Bioware is also in Austin Texas, and are partnered with Pandemic, which is in Australia and LA I believe.
  • indian_boy
    [ QUOTE ]
    He works at bioware.. Location in Ontario Canada...

[/ QUOTE ]
    now im confused.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Biowares Canadian studio is in Edmonton Alberta, Canada.

Not Ontario.
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder was mistaken, Tim lives in Edmonton with all the other bioware employees. No need to be confused. smile.gif

[edit]Oops, Adam beat me.[/edit]
  • indian_boy
    a] oh okay
    b] darn! is anything good in ontario? toronto more specifically? or am i gonna have to go to vancouver/montreal/quebec city etc. etc.
    c] sorry for the thread-jacking i've just commited smile.gif!
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    haha, yeah I was thinking of Digital Extremes xD
    YAY for not being bothered to check.
    It's still Canada :P
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.candevs.net/ for all your canadian developer needs
  • kary
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Fuse, handy link.
  • indian_boy
    can't thank you enough atm Fuse.
    guess that toronto is a starting point?
  • spacemonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I'm confused where do I live ? :O
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm confused where do I live ? :O

[/ QUOTE ]

In my basement. Now be quiet and get back in your cage. :|
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    thanks for the link Fuse!
  • indian_boy
    wait. so now he's in vancouver with Tulkamir? argh!

[yes yes... this _was_ just a joke]
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I'm still trying to figure out what I need to do to get my internship up there.

Here's a document I found online about the process:

WORK PERMIT AND HRSDC CONFIRMATION REQUIRED:
    • Work (remunerated or not) in situations that do not fulfil the conditions above.
    • Any activity which might be considered ‘competitive’ within the Canadian labour market, even if unpaid. For example, if the work might be a valuable work experience for a Canadian student (for example, an internship with a television station or with a high-profile NGO, even if unpaid). For cases which don’t conform to the guidelines allowing for confirmation exemption (above) HRDC is prepared to offer a labour market opinion.
    • The work is “normal” work in the labour market: i.e. it competes with other jobs in the Canadian labour market. For example, if a foreign student is doing an internship that is not a requirement for the completion of the academic course of study, whether paid or unpaid, that fulfils the definition of “work,” an HRDC confirmation is required.

Working temporarily in Canada: How to apply
    This page describes how to apply for a work permit.
    Remember that in most cases, you have to apply for a work permit from outside Canada, and that your employer also has a role in the application process.
    If you are applying to work temporarily in Quebec, you must meet all of the federal requirements and you must get a Quebec acceptance certificate (CAQ) from the province. See the Related Links section at the bottom of this page.
    1. Check the application processing times.
    2. Obtain an application kit.
    3. Determine where you will submit your application.
    4. Determine if you need a passport and a temporary resident visa.
    5. Include the correct application fee.
    6. Submit the application form.
    1. Check the application processing times.
    Go to Check How Long it May Take to Process My Case in the Quick Find section on the right-hand side of this page to get an idea of how long it will take to process your application.
    How long it takes to process your application varies depending on where you applied. You can check application processing times in the Quick Find section on the right-hand side of this page.
    You can speed up the process by
    • including all the necessary information with your application
    • notifying the visa office of any changes to the information on your application
    • avoiding unnecessary enquiries to the visa office
    • providing photocopies and documents that are clear and legible
    • providing certified English or French translations of documents, where required
    • applying from a country where you are a citizen or permanent resident
    Your application will take longer to process if the visa office has to take extra steps to assess your case. For example, extra steps are required if
    • there are criminal or security problems with your application
    • your family situation is not clear because of an event such as a divorce or an adoption that is not yet complete or child custody issues that have not been resolved
    • the local visa office has to consult with other CIC offices in Canada or abroad
    • you require a medical examination
    2. Obtain an application kit.
    You can access the application kit from the Related Links section at the bottom of this page, or you can contact a Canadian visa office. For a list of visa offices, go to Locate a Visa Office in the Quick Find section on the right hand side of this page. If you are eligible to apply from inside Canada, you can also obtain an application kit from the Call Centre (see Contact Us at the top of this page).
    Before you fill out the application, you will need the following:
    • A written job offer from your employer.
    • Proof that you meet the requirements of the job (for example, proof of certain education or work experience).
    • The positive labour market opinion on your job offer from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC), if one is required. In some cases, you can submit your application while you wait for the positive labour market opinion. See Concurrent processing in the Quick Find section on the right-hand side of this page.
    If you need an HRSDC opinion, it is up to your employer to get it and send it to you. For more information about HRSDC opinions, go to Frequently Asked Questions in the Related Links section at the bottom of this page.
    Remember, even if HRSDC has given a positive labour market opinion, there is no guarantee that you will get a work permit.
    Some jobs do not require an HRSDC opinion. For more information on those jobs, go to Work Permit: Eligibility in the Related Links section at the bottom of this page.
    • Proof of identity in the form of a valid passport or travel document that guarantees that you will be able to return to the country where it was issued.
    • If you are not a citizen of the country in which you are applying, you must also provide proof of your present immigration status in that country.
    After your employer gets confirmation that you can be offered a job, he or she will send you the labour market opinion confirmation letter. You must provide the detailed job offer with the application.
    Now you can apply for a work permit at a Canadian mission abroad.
    3. Determine where you will submit your application.
    You must submit your application to the visa office that is responsible for the country or region where you live. You must have legal status in your country of residence. For a list of visa offices, go to Locate a Visa Office in the Quick Find section on the right hand side of this page.
    In some cases, you can apply for a work permit when you arrive in Canada, or from within Canada. For details, go to Work Permit: Eligibility in the Related Links section at the bottom of this page.
    4. Determine if you need a passport and a temporary resident visa.
    If you want to work in Canada, you must meet the requirements for a work permit. You must also meet the general requirements for entering Canada. This means that you might also need a passport and a temporary resident visa.
    A temporary resident visa is an official document that is placed in your passport. To find out if you need a visa to enter Canada, see Visiting Canada on the left-hand side of this page.
    If you require a temporary resident visa, you do not have to apply for it separately or pay a separate fee. If your work permit is approved, the visa will be issued at the same time as the documentation you need to enter Canada as a worker.
    If you are a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States, Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon or Greenland, you do not need a passport or a temporary resident visa to enter Canada. You must, however, provide proof of citizenship or permanent residence, such as a national identity card or an alien registration card.
    5. Include the correct application fee.
    There is a fee for applying for a work permit.
    For current rates, go to Pay a Processing Fee in the Quick Find section on the right-hand side of this page. In many countries, the fee can be paid in the local currency.
    Check the website of the visa office that is responsible for the country or region where you live for more information on fees, including how to pay them.
    Your fee will not be refunded, even if your application is not accepted.
    6. Submit the application form.
    Once you are sure that your application form is complete, sign it and date it, and check that you have included all of the required documents and fees. Make sure that you have the right receipt for the fees.
    Remember, your application will be returned to you if it is not properly completed or if documents are missing.
    Hito interpolator
    Yeah, its a lengthy processes unfortunately and small outfits typically won't be able to assist you in the paperworks. At best you have to wait 3 or 4 weeks to get the approvements from Canada and Quebec, then apply at a port of entry like buffalo and possibly get approved the same day. There's still relocation issues like funds, apartments, transportation, to sort out.

it's probably longer than employers can afford to wait, especially if they're looking to boost staff to meet a milestone.