Home General Discussion

Soul Calibur IV Screens

Replies

• SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    What's in the art book? Just renders of the characters?
    Can you scan some pages for us?
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    SouL wrote: »
    What's in the art book? Just renders of the characters?
    Can you scan some pages for us?

the artbook is kinda small. It has a small comic book section and then it has some pages showing all the character sketches and final character drawing with color. Ill try to scan some pics of it when i can.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Coolest combo I've found so far:

Siegfried:
    -> K, <- <- K

He kicks them in the face, and while they're stunned he drop kicks them across the stage. It's even cooler when a naked Mexican does it.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    I got it and so far it's very nice. Not really a huge step forward or anything in terms of innovative gameplay, but it's quite immediately fun and most of the time really wonderful to look at.

It's nice to have an awesome looking HD game that's this vibrantly colored (not gray and brown) and doesn't involve pinatas.

That said, if I had the option to play as a Horstacio I would.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    got it last night, Loving it so far.

it's drop dead gorgeous, I think I've played more with the character editors so far than the actual game. It's insane there's a bunch you can do with the actual characters that it took me a while to even get to starting my own from scratch.. don't get me started then either!

it's going to be so interesting playing online against other premade characters. it's awesome what you can cook up. made myself an evil samurai (mitsurugi) chick. boyaaaa
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Picked it up yesterday and played through story mode with a few characters to try and unlock stuff.

So far only got 2 of the bonus characters and enough money to buy the rest of the roster.
    I like it. I think it looks great. Nice anims, too. I know they use a lot of old animations from previous games, but it feels like they've cleaned it up a bit. Unlike Tekken where the animation is totally untouched.

I wish it had the same story mode as in SC2 where you do different missions and gain items.
    Or at least tell me what I've unlocked. Instead of saying something vague like "New item available for purchase" or "new level unlocked"
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just played it online and it has no lags. awesome, but I got ownd. Ill play it on my own first and get some good practice before i jump online..
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Picked it up yesterday and played through story mode with a few characters to try and unlock stuff.

So far only got 2 of the bonus characters and enough money to buy the rest of the roster.
    I like it. I think it looks great. Nice anims, too. I know they use a lot of old animations from previous games, but it feels like they've cleaned it up a bit. Unlike Tekken where the animation is totally untouched.

I wish it had the same story mode as in SC2 where you do different missions and gain items.
    Or at least tell me what I've unlocked. Instead of saying something vague like "New item available for purchase" or "new level unlocked"

I totally agree with wishing the story mode from SC2 was there.
    I'm not a huge fan of "secret item is here and we're not going to tell you what to do to get it".
    That aside, I couldn't put it down last night. Loving it. I created a big beefy male dude with Ivy's moves. Soo cooool. Even though he has a bit of a feminine vibe.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. I'm trying to unlock characters and The Apprentice just handed my ass to me several times over when I tried to run through arcade with Vader.
    What happened to being able to set the difficulty?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Wow. I'm trying to unlock characters and The Apprentice just handed my ass to me several times over when I tried to run through arcade with Vader.
    What happened to being able to set the difficulty?

Strafe over to the edge, and just throw him off.

Dude's cheap as shit. Once he gets you on a run he'll take off most of your life.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Great game but very cringe worthy - the story and dialogue get cheesier every sequel, one of those games you feel embarrased playing around non-fans
    and including yoda in the intro movie made me groan

and what's with wall-o-text intros in story mode, that's just lazy!
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    I always switch the voices to Japanese, it helps quite a bit, as far as annoying cheesiness goes.

Loving it so far, it's damn good looking, online is smooth as butter and the create a character is fun to mess around it.

Yay for being able to make the main character from your own game (well, a reasonable facsimile i guess):
    sc4.jpg
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Picked up the regular 360 version yesterday (I'll wait for a proper art book), and sooooo glad I did. This game's a blast. The Apprentice has become my new favorite character, but they're all fun to play. I've only fiddled with the character creator slightly (made a slightly tweaked Mitsurugi), but have been going through and buying up all the items I can as I earn money. I'll probably go crazy with the creator once I've bought everything up. Can't wait to take on some of my coworkers with this.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody know what to do with the card that you get in the limited edition soul calibur4? Theres a code digit on the card. Are you able to unlock a special character with this? And where do you enter it at?
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i found out that the card code entered in the playstation network account lets you get all the downloadables and latest patches for free. It also lets you customize your characters and weapons with more variety.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, Jedi are waaaaay over powered. Who'd have thought? lol Though I do use The Apprentice for the Tower. :D

Balance on everyone else seems really good. The bonus anime characters are okay except Angol Fear... she stands out so bad compared to the style of the other fighters. I like Kamikirimusi though. She is cute and a friggin BEAST. Giant metal bat + Nightmare fighting style == DOOM!

Custom characters are nice. Lots of good options. Would have liked to see a Height option though. And to be able to switch some weapons between styles would be nice as well.
    I have a few customs that I enjoy playing and love tweaking. :) Game needs an online custom viewer or something to show your friends who don't have the game.

Story mode is kinda lame.. I do not like 6 paragraphs of text introduction and a vague ending movie. No sir, I don't like it. I do like all the different custom characters that appear throughout it.
    That's a good use of the custom generator. I don't get bored of fighting the main characters all the time.

And boo to 100 MS points for Nightmare and Astaroth's old helmets DLC. (More boo to having to buy in increments of 500 pts than the actual price.)

I won't be playing random people in the online though. I don't like people giving me bad rep cause I'm better than them. I get enough of that in Halo3. -__-

8.85 out of 10
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also heard that there is a way to unlock Yoda on the PS3. There is actually one slot right next to darth vader and apprentice that is empty. I have purchased and unlocked all the characters in the game so that has to be it.. Let me know if any of you guys find out anything about it.
  • Asherr
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Probably future DLC content after the initial buzz of the game has worn off.
    I picked up the extra content tonight. The extra helmets give me hope that maybe they'll release all the old design iterations of the characters.

Trying to do the tower runs and getting the items. Kinda fun. And kinda frustrating at the same time.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 wrote: »
    I also heard that there is a way to unlock Yoda on the PS3. There is actually one slot right next to darth vader and apprentice that is empty. I have purchased and unlocked all the characters in the game so that has to be it.. Let me know if any of you guys find out anything about it.

Same space is open on the 360. Most likely DLC for Vader. (Since it is between the two other Jedi.) I would love to see multiple Jedi released in a pack. Kit Fisto, Ki Adi Mundi, Aayla Secura, Darth Maul, etc... :D

I would also like to see more unique weapon styles with new characters. *shrug*
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr wrote: »

Quotes like that are pretty meaningless these days. I'd say there's a very good chance of acquiring each of them for your respective systems in about 3 months.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I saw a video somewhere that showed Yoda fighting Vader.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just out of curiosity, who is everyone's main?

I have been trying to learn Hilde but I fear she is too tricky with her reliance on charging and verticals for an unskilled player like myself.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like playing as Ivy or custom with her moves.
    Though for Tower play and quick cash I use Nightmare based characters.

I really like Hilde but she is indeed hard to use. I need more practice. :)
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Ivy or Maxi.

Yeah..that's right...I rock "The Pad"....got beef? >:]
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    My main right now is probably The Apprentice, but as I learned from playing against Keg over netplay, the lag at the end of a quick approach makes his speed pretty useless... course, Keg is on canadian internet, which is like AOL .01 :P
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My main character is Mitsurugi. Has always been since the first soul calubur. I just made a custom female character with mitsurugi's fighting style. Man the customization possiblities are so awesome. She is hot now!! Feels so nice to kick ass online with her.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Usually I'm a Mitsurugi or Astaroth guy...but Lately I've been using Sophitia and she is quickly becoming one of my favorites.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Just picked it up. The SC series is definitely one of the best button-mashing fighters out there. It's easy to learn, and not too difficult to master. I like it because unlike Tekken everyone at least has a chance whether you know the character inside out or not.

I play usually Astaroth. Cervantes fighters give me such problems though!
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone know what kind of special downloadable content comes if you have the soul calibur4 limited edition? I entered the code into the account and it said that now i can download special contents that only comes available to limited edition copies...
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Cassandra. It doesn't look like they've changed her too much. She was PERFECT in 3.

Now that I've played it a bit, Sophitia also looks good.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    talim is my girl
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Its all about mitsurugi. hes a badass with a heart of gold.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Yun-seong for me
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    is it just me or are people using kilik, cervantes, astaroth and mitsurugi a lot?

frankly, i have the most problems with kilik. cervantes and mitsurugi are tough as well but kilik is just plain annoying. maybe i need to learn to play :P
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Kilik is cheap. I haven't played people online yet but playing as Kilik, it's pretty easy to keep people at a distance and smack em around.
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    It's funny I used to play SC2 with Yun Seong, and though he was considered bottom tier he was a hell of a lot of fun to play. For some reason Namco has raped him of a good portion of his move set lot of his fake outs and wake up games are gone. Since I started playing ranked matches I switched over to Nightmare and I love him, he hands everyone a nice shiny Ring Out. I feel the same about Kilik as i do Yun Seong but with Kilik, his bread and butter is still awesome and once you get the timing for his stances you can guard impact most quick characters at close range, cept for Taki, damn her and her outrageous boobage!!!
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talking about cheap characters and moves.. I played this one guy who was using Argol, all he ever did was constantly shoot his bubble gun, until u died. Cant even reach him, or barely dodge them. Thats the worst Ive seen so far..
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I use Nightmare/Siegfried. Well different characters, really... but similar enough to where I can use both. They're all I used in the previous games. I used Cervantes for a bit in SC2 alongside Link... but kinda forgot his stuff.

A bit hard to use, though. They're too slow for some of the quicker characters. Quick character + button mashing = me getting raped online.
    But I suck, so...