Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Al Pacino

polycounter lvl 11

Replies

• Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Looking sweet Dejavoodoo, a little on the characterized side, but like the direction. Could you post some more turnarounds on this?

Spark
  • Dejavoodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dejavoodoo polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, I hadn't actually viewed him in orthographic views like this until now. I def. see many areas for improvement. Damn perspective view has really thrown off my shapes frown.gif
    Pacino_Orthos.jpg
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Dude, what do you mean by orthographic view? I always work in perspective view. Does that mean that I do something wrong? And what view is important if I want to know what the model is going to look like in game?
  • Dejavoodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, with any camera there is going to be perspective and distortion. Just like when you view a box ... it tapers off into the distance. Well, there are just some shapes that 'seemed' to be what I was intending to create, but once I viewed the mesh in the front and side orthographic viewports, I realized that the shapes I thought I created were not there.
    Does that make any sense?
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, but why do you care about orthographic views when it´ll be shown as perspective view? Does it really matter in this case?
    I´m sorry if I misunderstood something.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    personally, I hate orthographic views. if you get some resemblance in orthographic it usually looks totally out in perspective..the face is always too wide and the wrong shape. try and match the camera the reference is taken with using your perspective camera
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally somebody shares my pain... I also hate orthographic views for the same reasons like you, rooster.
  • Dejavoodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, its just personal opinion ... everyone likes to work differently. I don't disregard perspective at all. So far on this model, thats all Ive used. I just found that shapes i 'thought' were created certain ways, stood out as being incorrect when viewed without perspective's distortion. So, Its just a process of going back and forth to get a better feel for what I'm doing ...
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I just wanted to know the reason why. First I thought that it´s not good to work in perspective view, so I got scared a bit as I always use this view.
    I don´t dispraise perfectionists smile.gif

Keep us posted. I work on Al Pacino too (on younger version) so I´d like to see your one finished.
    Btw. looks great so far.
  • Dejavoodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice. Have you posted any of your progress ghost-d? I'd like to check it out!!
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It´s all here:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=204607&an=0&page=0#Post204607

Unfortunately I´m not very skilled in Mudbox, so I don´t have any highrez model. This time I think that I will have to leave all the details on the textures... Unfortunately I´m not very skilled in texturing... laugh.gif
    This is going to be my first serious texturing attempt.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    I kinda feel the same way about working in perspective ghost-d. I often ask myself, when in life do we see something that is truly orthographic? Perspective is always there unless we're looking at a drawing/schematic right? That being said it's important to work in orthographic views if you're modeling something that is drawn from orthographic views, which is quite often.

Dejavoodoo: Good work so far. You're headed in the right direction. I think at this stage it might be a good idea to take some screengrabs of your model at as close to the same angle as your references as possible and then overlay the images over them in photoshop so you can see exactly whats different. Keep us posted!
  • Dejavoodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Normal mapped version ... I feel like I regressed a little in the likeness, hopefully I can make up for it with the texture.
    Pacino_05.jpg