Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spartan Warrior

Replies

• Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'd be better off building a new cage for sculpting and getting rid of your cadaver muscle guy.

Also, the sword is entirely fictional. Hoplites generally used a Xiphos (a straight leaf-shaped blade), or the Kopis (a recurved sword, which the 300 sword is based off of, as badass and spikey as it is). The sword you have is distinction Migration/Viking. Just use the same blade and do a new hilt for something more 'authentic,' since there's really no reason NOT to use an authentic sword if you're just going to use something historical.

BTW, a Spartan I did a couple weeks ago: http://www.robg3d.com/images/spartanRender.jpg
    There are some historical licenses I took (the helmet specifically), and some issues with the model (the shoulder, and his feet have no real texture), but I needed to pump the ENTIRE thing from scratch to rig in 10 days, and I wasn't as thorough and deliberate as I should have been.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Muscle man still just looks like muscles. I'd actually model a new character, converting him sensibly will take you ages.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i dont really understand the body, but ok. His torso seems just a *tad* long, and arms feel slightly short. That may be from the lack of hands on the mesh however.

His big toe is huuuge, id put the rest of the toes in there so you have a frame of reference to base their scale off of, seems like its proportionately off.

the eye sockets on the head look too high up, doesnt feel like there is enough brow room. There is no distinction between cheek bone, eye socket, and brow, and its transition into forehead and skull. From a profile, its all one curve. Guess it doesnt really matter since there will be a helmet. The face itself seems a little boxy as well, but again, may not matter with a helmet on.

the traps look like they're too far back, there is nothing covering the upper collar bone area. I dont think the obliques need to be that defined in the front, or at least detailed where they are detailed (seems off and wrong). The arms feel the same way, the muscles dont look like they continue from the upper arm to the lower arm, and instead are two seperate entities.

What is the line going across his leg above his knee? looks like a strap.. but there shouldnt be a muscle line there.

I guess it is confusing because you have detail that suggests skin, but its all muscle, and no bone or flesh, yet there seems to be detail that suggets it is skin, but doesnt make sense for the forms. If its supposed to be metallic or something, but a chrome or brass shader on it so its easier to read as such.
  • merlyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys, i don't think it would save time remaking the anatomy as i would then have to spend an equal amount of time making his overall shape look right again, so i will just simplify it in areas.
    Moose- Great crit, you seem to be thinking down exactly the same lines as me, those will be the areas i will be working on next. The upper and lower arm is not attached atm so that is why the muscles dont look like they continue from the upper arm to the lower arm. The line going across his leg above his knee is a part of the anatomy that i see in some anatomy drawings but not others, it usually is white and is not a muscle but follows off a muscle, I plan on removing this part as i think that it probabley confuses most people.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    It as no layer skin? Just muscle tissus? Lol
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    merlyn: I'm glad you show no prerogative to correct the very critical and serious issues that were brought to your attention a month ago and are STILL the biggest issues with your model. I'm also glad you ignore the advice and suggestions of most people in this thread except when they are "down exactly the same line" as you. Why am I glad? Why? Fuck 'em, that's why.
  • merlyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am just another artist Professer420 i dont see why you need to get so worked up about me not immediatly acting upon c&c, if i dont and i make a mess of it from a portfolio point of view then hopefully i will learn from it, no big deal. I like crits and suggestions but unless they are coming from somebodies wallet i am under no obligation to address them at all, this is my commisions piece and he gets the final say, bare in mind that he chose me for this job as my anatomy model even though it was not finished was his favourite. I have not had this thread running for a month and i ask that you wait untill i am done before accusing me of ignoring peoples crits.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I have to back up Merlyn here. This is just a contract piece, and as long as the client is happy, he should focus on delivering the finished product rather than going back and fixing things.
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    As much as I disagree with Merlyn's way of handling the crits I do agree in the end with Merlyn and Ninjas in that if this is what he is getting paid for and this is what the check is saying make. Then thats what he should make.

As for Merlyn though. why ask for crits if you know you aren't going to use them? you say wait until the end before we say you didn't use them but if you are going off of what you're employer wants then in the end you will have completed what your employer wants ultimately ignoring any crits any way.

Normally professional work of any kind is not posted while being worked on due to some kind of NDA so basically you are posting work that can not take crits because ultimately we are not the ones allowed to critique it. So really you are just saying "look at my work" so if the end is what you are really waiting for. Then wait for then end and just pimp it then.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People have spent alot of time giving you suggestions which you have no intention of taking, so why ask?

You're right, this thread hasn't been running for a month:
    Original post was: 06/01/07 01:03 PM
    Its now 7/01/07 1:00 AM
    I cheated you 12 hours.

Yes, the final OK comes from your client, so don't ask for crits in the first place. Also be aware that most clients you find won't be as... unique... as this one.

But what my gripe comes down to is, you have at best ignored people's crits, and at worst told them their crits are wrong or invalid. Its not a good way to improve, and its certainly not a good way to post a WIP thread with "Crits would be much appreciated" in the first post.
  • merlyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's really quite simple, first i will do the job as my commision asks(this is for a nutritional suppliment company so it want's to look like a 3d gym muscle chart man), then afterwards i will use the crits i have been receiving to make a realistic human portfolio piece out of it. Sorry professor, you were right it is nearly a month,(Going to have to put more time into this now).
  • merlyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The base topology model for the figure is allmost done now bar a little tweaking. I had a revelation the other day, I have decided to make the face a likeness of Woody Harrelson so shaping the topology for the head will come next. Afterwards I will remove any unneccesary geometry to make a topology model for a realistic Spartan. This however is how the anatomy will look for the company logo, the realistic version would be for my portfolio, right now the model looks uber toned with clingfilm for skin, which is the right look for a nutritional suppliment companies logo. Can't wait to take this into Zbrush. I wan't him to look tall btw, does this come accross?

spartanbeforeheadwiresfront.jpg

spartanbeforeheadwiresback.jpg

spartanbeforeheadtopfront.jpg

spartanbeforeheadtopback.jpg