Home General Discussion

Source/TF2 Facial Animation

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
doc rob polycounter lvl 19
I have no idea about the tech or whether this is just a really well animated short, but this is the best facial animation I've ever seen in a game.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/788/788389p1.html

At the very least they have a very nice animation rig.

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    actually source has a very versatile face system. I believe all the expressions and phonemes for lip syncing are done with blended morph targets.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Damn This Game looks like the mutts nutts.
    I love it... so much.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    DAYAM!
    I never really played the first TF game, but I'm really looking forward to the second one!

-caseyjones
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    If I remember correctly, that was one of the main things they were advertising about hl2...
    But god, I love how this game looks, and feels
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    seems like the music is a ripoff from venture brothers or something
    the russian brute voice made me lol however
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    its a good advert for the game smile.gif I think they'd do really well if they had ads like this on TV. Really give the game personality rather than the typical montage of footage/cinematics.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    these people know what style and good design is ..
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    actually source has a very versatile face system. I believe all the expressions and phonemes for lip syncing are done with blended morph targets.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is some new technology that they are adding into the engine with TF2.

And yes, that is an awesome short, probably the best real-time animation I've ever seen. Valve's eyes shader is the best I've seen in any game too. It's what adds so much believability to their characters and animations. This goes to show what a talented animator can do with it. Very nice stuff.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    This is some new technology that they are adding into the engine with TF2.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, it's always existed.

Face animation tech isn't anythnig new nor practical for gameplay, anyway. TF2 is just going to play the same as before, just with a new engine smell gimmick. The novelty will die and everyone will go back to TFC (if they have it)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Cheap, do you know anything about the game?

[ QUOTE ]
    "The novelty will die and everyone will go back to TFC (if they have it) "

[/ QUOTE ]

That made me lol.

[ QUOTE ]
    "Face animation tech isn't anythnig new..."

[/ QUOTE ]

no but intuitive tools that are more user friendly than a 3Dapp + rig setup is what makes the facial animation different, and new.

Also, they've updated the facial technology since HL2's release (which is what I believe e_x was touching on) something most companies ship and forget.

[ QUOTE ]
    "TF2 is just going to play the same as before"

[/ QUOTE ]
    Really? Even though only 2 of the batch of maps being release will feature CTF style of gameplay - and even those 2 maps (2forts and well) are getting major gameplay overhauls with the way they're laid out.

As well, they're introducing an all new gameplay mechanic where the layouts within the map change randomly as a team captures a control point. And also updating older maps with more streamlined mechanics than what would be found in TFC.

I was a HUGE fan of Team-Fortress (Quakeworld), TFC and am looking forward to TF2. Will it be the same thing? Sure, class based objective multi-player - the vaguest description all three releases will share. However, TF2 will be far from the experience you had playing either of those games. lol, "new engine smell gimmick". Right.
  • Sinistar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sinistar polycounter lvl 17
    I can't wait for TF2.. And I also need to work on my facial animation skills. smile.gif

steady, and the music reminds me more of NOLF than the Venture Bros.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    feel free to crawl back into your hole at any time, cheap.

personally i thought the "Meet the Heavy" is the sharpest thing Valve has ever released--the timing, animation, and voice acting come together as primo entertainment. i agree with spacemonkey--though Steam is designed such that they don't even have to deal with traditional outlet, i see shorts like these working very successfully as commercials. at least on channels like G4 at any rate.

TF2 is looking interesting with semi-randomized map features and map scaling to accomodate different player loads--everyone who played BF2 knows that makes a huge difference. And certainly it will be nice to play a fun, cartoony style game like TF2, with more and more games falling into the semi-realistic modern warfare category. which is funny, since of course that was the style that TF2 was originally gunning for, and since then they've gone with something completely away from current trends, which is possibly the best move they could make.

edit: CRY SOME MORE!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Wow, that was one of the best things I've ever seen. The game just has great style. GREAT style. I wasn't a huge fan of the first game but I am looking forward to this a LOT
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    looks like they have hired someone either very tallented, or stolen people from pixar. In any case, this form of natural progression for games is only a good thing, halo3 looks tired and cold by conparison.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I applaud whoever gave the green light to go with this kind of visual style. In a genre FLOODED with games that try to be "realistic", TF2 will stand out, simply because of how it looks.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, it is a breath of fresh air. But for some reason these games still don't do too well. Remember Psychonauts? Awesome game, awesome style, but it just didn't do well in the market.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Remember Psychonauts? Awesome game, awesome style, but it just didn't do well in the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends on marketting. Of course the fact that TF gets bundled with Halflife2 et al on xbox360 will help boost sales, as will the fact that it comes with episode 2 and portals on pc.

I think the fact that valve arent trying to make it a standalone game shows some concern over commercial viability. However that might also be because its a team orientated game and doesnt have a single player afaik.

It would be interesting to see the game sold in the same way that Pixar sells its products, I think these vinquettes would certainly be the way to go but I doubt we'll see this pimped on tv - which is a shame. It would be really interesting to see if a standalone game, made in this style could make itself a commercial succes. smirk.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I cannot wait for this game, it just oozes style and cool. That facial stuff is badass... yaaaaaaa coolness.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    imagine teh possibilities

crazy machinima here I come
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You do have to wonder how useful that fancy face rig is going to be in a multiplayer only game, particularly one as fast paced as Team Fortress, but I guess if it makes for Machinema of this calibre then I shan't complain.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Whoa - that looks sweet. If the game is only half as much fun to play as it is to watch then I might even reinstall Steam.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    You do have to wonder how useful that fancy face rig is going to be in a multiplayer only game, particularly one as fast paced as Team Fortress, but I guess if it makes for Machinema of this calibre then I shan't complain.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHO CARES its face tech it makes it obviously the best most timeless game ever !
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Jackablade, (and CheapAlert I suppose): The facial technology they used for the video is being rolled out to the entire SDK and all the licensee's.

The game will include animations used with this new technology to show what the updates are capable of. Will it make or break THIS game? No, probably not.

However having this widely available to those who wish to
    develop with the engine (professional or mod) is one of the reasons I like Valve as a 'developers company'.

spacemonkey: Did you ever give the 'No One Lives Forever' series a go? Or Evil Genius? Both had a similar cartoon/60's style to them with the high-tempo jazz soundtracks, comedy, and such. Very good games, NOLF being one of my favourite all time FPS's.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Sourceengines facial animation and nice eye materials were used VERY well in bloodlines, and I've yet to see more games do it that well, except for TF2 now smile.gif
  • Husch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Husch polycounter lvl 18
    Isn´t Valve using Softimage since the development of HL2? Maybe they also use Softimage Face Robot for animating the face. I would like to know if the face animation is made by hand or motion captured before it was imported into the engine. This kind of animtion seems to be much more advanced than the morph targets that were used in HL2:
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Character_Facial_Animation_Shapekey_Set
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Ok that settles it, I guess after all these years I will finally buy a Steam game (when Ep2 comes out).

TF2 looks great, Steam/source games supposedly run really well with WINE on Linux, and this MOD:
    http://www.zombiemaster.org/
    looks soooo awesome that I have to try it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks very cool, they really nailed the style there, awesome expression and comedy timing.
    The look on his face when he's firing like mad near the end is tops.
    Seems like it's shaping up to be a fun game smile.gif
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Maybes we will be able to name our weapons like in video, yes?
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Maybes we will be able to name our weapons like in video, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

In Soviet Russia, weapon names YOU!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    A fun game with cool features, I believe you mean sirre
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    who touched sacha ??
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

I think the fact that valve arent trying to make it a standalone game shows some concern over commercial viability. However that might also be because its a team orientated game and doesnt have a single player afaik.

It would be interesting to see the game sold in the same way that Pixar sells its products, I think these vinquettes would certainly be the way to go but I doubt we'll see this pimped on tv - which is a shame. It would be really interesting to see if a standalone game, made in this style could make itself a commercial succes. smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Really enjoyed HL2 back then but still no fan of Steam or
    this episode thingie, but HL2:Episode 2 i get for sure and
    only for TF2 and Portal looks so much fun. Atm i wonder if
    these little two "addons" are the mainselling point here.
    I know many people who think the same.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Love it, its like a FPS version of Evil Genius, with the sound track to go along with it hopefully.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Won't you be able to buy the products seperately over steam?
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    ohh style. mannn I would of love building thoses sexy character. ya SEXY I SAID IT
    YAOOOUUU
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I think Bay Raitt works at Valve now, so they might be using a Gollum-like combination sculpt system as an extension of the old system. Sorry I should have said this in the original post.

I posted a summary of the Gollum system a couple of years ago, but I can only search back one year, so I'm not sure how to find the link.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Select the blank top option in the search to search all posts ever, instead of day/month/year. So you're essentially selecting 1 "blank".

poop.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Bay Raitt works at Valve now? That's crazy. I used to visit his forums regularly, and read his tuts when he was still the mad Mirai wizard. That was a great app, too. Sad it never caught on really. There are other ones like it though, so no big D smile.gif

AMAZING TF2 video though. The facial animation is outstanding.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    He was the one who pushed valve into including normal maps in Half Life 2, and done most of the detailing
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Bay works @ Valve, but when we were there last he wasn't working on the facial animation stuff.

New gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEBGl_nA1Uk
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how fast it is at parsing speech, I doubt it works in real time, but imagine if it did... I would spend hours just making my character talk, and if they modulated the voices so if you are playing the heavy weapons guy you talked like him, that would be a hoot too.

I've watched it 4 times, time to go back for a 5th =)
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    "who touched sasha!" I cannot wait for this! facial animation is outstanding!
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    wow.. super impressed. Easiy the best facial animation i've seen in a game. But it does leave me wondering about one thing. Isn't this a fast paced multi-player FPS? I mean, I might from time to time, catch a glimpse of your awesome facial expression right before my rocket slams into your head. Seems like a lot of work for that type of game. maybe they have some super cutscenes or othe game types.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Jay! Read what I wrote above about the facial animations before I swim the river and kick you in the junk!
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    haha.. ya ya.. I forgot about licensees.. Who licenses Source anyway… I thought everyone and their dog, and their pet goldfish had a U3 license these days. :P

Valve gives the best facials to their licensees:)

all kidding aside.. I have never seen animation like that in a game. Valve ftw.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice work. Excellent facial animation.

With that being said, as a fast paced multiplayer shooter fan, it usually takes me six months of playing before I even take notice of characters' faces in most games. Shoot and move. As fast as possible.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    (salivate)

As excellent as that demo video was, what really gets me stoked is the knowledge that they are going to be updating the Source SDK when Team Fortress 2 comes out. For anyone who hasn't been following Source development, last October Valve made their SDK compatible with the Visual C++ Express compiler. That means...of course...that you can legally produce your own Source mods without purchasing any software aside from Half Life 2. I've already compiled a trial mod, and it worked without any issues. By including this compatibility, Valve has truly opened up the Source engine to everyone.

Before now, I hadn't dappled in Source very much, since I couldn't create my own mods. But I had played around with the tools a little. Face Poser is ALREADY the most effective in-game facial animation system available. Define the necessary vertex keys in the XSI mod-tool, and you're off to the races. I'm actually surprised that more of the forum regulars here haven't been importing their models into Half-Life 2.

I'm going to be attempting to produce my own little level soon, in order to experiment with a little machinima that's been in the back of my mind for a while. If it goes well, I'll try to post some tutorials on how to effectively get a basic Source mod going.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    it never gets old! aaaah

a friend of mine told me a while ago he accepted a job there (Blue Sky animator)- his site isnt updated, waiting to get a hold of him first :P
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome animation. It felt very similar the the incredibles, especially the teaser and character introductions.

I'm only curious to how much of this was actually hand animated, because it's easily possible to create a rig for any game that supports morph targets that allows this much detail. he question is how much easie rvalve's tools make it to make something look this sweet (and why the fuck no feature animation studio thought of doing a system like this).

Apart from that an incredibly impressive animation, the solid direction and impressive camerawork (on top of a near cinemascope proportioned aspect ration) really made this shine. Again, I doubt we see much of the actual animation system shine here, but rather a very talented animator with some very solid tools.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I <3 Valve, and everything they're doing to push the industry in the right direction.