Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP...um...villain?

technodookie
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
technodookie polycounter lvl 17
I haven't done any 3D work in a long while, so decided to make a model based off a random character I sketched recently. Before continuing I'd like to get some critique/feedback from da' pros! I'm at 1726 tri's now, and don't really want to go too high poly. I want to learn how to get more power out of fewer polys. Thanks!
wtf_concept.jpg

wtf_reference.jpg
wtf_front.jpg
wtf_back.jpg

Replies

• dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting design.

I think your top sketch is great, but when you took him into an isometric front view, you lost the feel, and the pose is stiff, legs to close together. When you modeled directly from this image, it hurt your model.

try sketching a side view, and model against that as well.

Your poly distribution is uneven. I would take some faces out of the horns (reduce to 4 or 3 sided) and put more details in the but and back, its really boxy lookin right now.

db
  • technodookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    technodookie polycounter lvl 17
    Dabu, thank you for the feedback! I reduced the horns down to 3-sided and am working on the general distribution of polys. I also started to define the butt and back more.

I did use a side reference from the start, although in terms of the stiffness you talked about, I don't think it's much better than the front. To compensate, I'm adding more of a rib cage and also pushing the angles a bit to give more dynamics...

One quick question as well: with the thigh pads, they are pretty much flat, and not supposed to bend much when rigged, so can i delete a bunch of those edges on it? I'm not planning on doing a mesh smooth, btw.

progress shots:
    wtf_front_2.jpg
    wtf_back_2.jpg
    wtf_reference_side.jpg