Home General Discussion

mp3 problems...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
Ok, this is a long shot, but I thought I'd ask around here to see if anyone has heard about something like my problem.

A couple weeks ago I noticed my iPod seemed to be skipping back at the start of some songs. I thought my iPod was fucked, but then I noticed my 360 doing the same thing. I checked those songs out on my PC and yes, the actual data (mp3's) seems screwed.

They play like this now:

1234 <skip to start> 123456789....

some are worse:

12 <skip> 12 <skip> 12 <skip> 12345....

It fucking maddening! It seems all the affected files have nearly the same modification date. I'm not sure what it could be, possibly when I used tuneSleeve to add album art to all of the albums? But I'm pretty sure it crashed before it finished because it never added any art.

I'm really not looking forward to digging 300+ CD's out of my closet, re-ripping them, re-tagging them the way I like, re-adding the art, and most of all re-rating all the songs. Not to mention the other 200+ albums I ripped from friend's CD's (shhhhh), or downloaded.

I'm not sure how easy it is to edit the songs either, I wouldn't want them re-compressed and losing quality. And going through 8000 songs to see which skip and fixing them will be extremely painful as well.

Sooo... any magical answers out there? Anyone heard of some virus that does this, and have a fix for it? Or am I stuck in a world of pain for several months fixing my database of music? ooo.gif

Replies

• bearkub
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    The first and probably dumb answer I would offer is stuff all those MP3s into one folder, run a chkdisk on that folder and see if repairs any errors.

I have a reeeeeeally bad feeling that running that tuneSleeve (no idea what that is..) and it crashing half-way through jacked up your files. Dunno though. Good luck and let us know if you do fix it
  • Eric Chadwick
    You could also try scrubbing them through a MP3-WAV converter, then back to MP3s. You'd lose all the metadata, but it might work. Also recompression isn't a good thing, might get a bit hissy.