Home General Discussion

Japan Photos

StrangeFate
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
Was there last year for the Tokyo game show and visited Tokyo and Kyoto (company paid for the trip), which were both awesome. I just managed to get myself to start a flickr account a few days ago.
It's not reviewed so my stuff doesn't show up without a direct link yet (or something like that).

Took over 300 images, but only got a few up, they're there with the full original res.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7581606@N08/

445542611_a127c1a29e_b.jpg

Replies

• Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    They are beautiful, it's hard to believe a professional photographer didn't take these. They are great references too. You've really captured Japan, Thank you for sharing.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that wilderness is beautiful stuff. Makes me wanna craft a timber house smile.gif
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was there spring 2004 and loved it.

I should be there this year for TGS. Wonder how many polycoutners will be there.

I'll also be there a lot this fall (Osaka area).
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome stuff Strangefate, thanks for sharing!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Great photos Strangefate! Thanks for sharing.

I read an article about lines and architecture yesterday. I found it interesting how horizontal lines give a feeling a peace since they are parallel with the horizon and work with gravity.

In eastern architecture I've noticed lots of strong low horizontal lines. Very Zen =)

anyway just an observation.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks all smile.gif

The 'wilderness' are all gardens around the different temples in Kyoto, they were all incredibly gorgeous. None of them had grass, just that moos that looked like out of a fantasy movie with all the exposed tree roots.

I was there with some people from work, and they were so terribly impatient everytime i wanted to take a picture.
    The result was a lot of awesome snapshots either missed or ruined, oh well.

I took a lot of less pictoresque images for references, like close ups from temple details and everyday's tech polution they got there... and some fun stuff... and girls in costumes tongue.gif

Tokyo was broken down in districts, there was an electronics district, shopping district etc, each of them with a completely different feel and architecture. I missed so much awesome stuff because they wouldn't wait 5-10 bloody seconds to let me get a good shot :/

IronHawk, that's some interesting stuff to think about smile.gif
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    God, I need a camera. There isn't much scenery where I live, but i'm sure I could find something to take pictures of.
    Nice picture, seriously.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great pics, thanks for the photos. /saved

I really love some of the random architecture you found. Around here, its tall, boxy and covered in glass, woopie..
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    The pics are great, SF, but I'm more interested in the captions. What's up with the Babelfish multiple personality disorder? tongue.gif
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, i think i wrote something about that in my flickr description.
    I do speak 5 languages and none of them properly. English, spanish and swiss german are the ones i think in usually, and i always wanted to write things down the way i think them up.

It's not as bad nowadays tho, when i think i keep entire sentences in the same language now but well, it was fun to write them like that. The captions are more or less how my head worked a year ago. My spoken english had a lot of holes still so i filled those holes with the right words in whatever language i they pooped into mind first. I've been moving too much.

Vig, the architecture was pretty crazy there, from your standard boring glass buildings to almost Sci-Fi town districts with shiny tall buildings with interesting shapes down to older and very anime-industrial stuff with pipes and ventilators everywhere. I'm still so frustrated that they made me skip so many interesting shots.

It's not better here, London (in canada) is officially the most architecturally boring town i've been to in my life, you're better off just sinking your head and counting the bubblegum patches on the asphalt.

**edit: gonna be uploading more photos in a few mins, mainly ones i took as source, so, not as pretty but more usefull for work.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    added a new set with 90 photos of all kind and added 3 new ones to the original set tongue.gif

447440048_21b2ea48d0_b.jpg
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome stuff SF. Glad you had a good time over there as well.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    Funny, I was actually looking through my pics of Tokyo just today. My photos are all non-digital though frown.gif

I went when I was 14 with my Grandpa. He took me to Seoul and the DMZ in South Korea, then 10 days it Japan. I only wish I was older when I went. If I went now, I could enjoy the night life so much more. Plus, I love sushi now and hated it back then hahhaha. I still carry a 5 yen coin on my keychain, supposed to be good luck. Thanks for sharing your photos.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    dude I know what it's like.

I went to Okinawa recently and my camera needed a new battery (I've got 4 but they only last about 60 mins each), this ended up with a huge argument with my lady, a taxi driver, and local people who were watching.

Taking shots is a very private thing I'm come to realise. Although if your co-workers left you, you may never find you way home wink.gif

I see this batshit crazy stuff everyday and it's become normal for me, it's good to see it thought a fresh pair of eyes.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
  • chinups
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chinups polycounter lvl 17
    O man, i love those, i really want to go to tokyo one day. Ever since i was like 10, so beautiful.