Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Dominance War II - JFletcher

Replies

• JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    OK, i officially cant upload any decent images to the main site, they say to keep under 200kb for all shots, thats impossible without losing decent quality, anyone else having to really optimize their images?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    its possible.. you loose some qualy but its not that much

and if you want to show the images with full qually you can include a link in the entry-info-text to eg. a html side with the 100%-qualy-jpg´s
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, i got by it, not too bad, i just find even the slightest quality loss to be a pain grin.gif

ok, before i submit my final images, everythings uploaded and what not, here is what im using for my winning pose:

32-game-3d-art-387-1174867952-pose.jpg

i know it should be my decision, but is everyone cool with this? can anyone point out anything that may need change? etc.

i will submit everything when im convinced, or just tommorow

thanks for the support guys, this has been a really fun project grin.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looks sweet man! nice job smile.gif. If I remember correctly though the images should be 800x900, not sure if they'd like other dimensions? correct me if I'm wrong
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    everything ive uploaded is fine with them, i think they mean up to 800x900 grin.gif
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    its good that you took some time to tweak the proportions, it looks great, nice job.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    The thumb on the right hand (the one with the mini energy beam coming out of the palm) looks kinda whack! Like its disjointed or something. It's probably too late now anyway. Great entry though and good luck.

-caseyjones
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, updated:

posehiur5.jpg

also made the render a bit larger

as you may have noticed, i lost the pose so had to try and get that one again, but it still looks nice
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    His head is GLOWING!? Your texture work is amazeing but it gets lost because of these bright glowing stuff!
  • Dread_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dread_Reaper polygon
    It just keeps glowing and glowing and glowing...

I think I like this pose better than the original one, it kind of gives him that tortured, pissed off look. Other than that, I think this is fantastic. Great work dude!

-Dread_Reaper
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe i should have toned down the lighting a bit, or brought it around to the back, ah well smile.gif

thanks for the comments, i'll post the texture sheet soon
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Knives across the chest belt = awesome. Moar please. I also like the gloves and his hand effect is quite nice too. Good work.

poop.gif
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks!

here's the texture sheet i submitted, spec map is...meh, im still learning all this crazy stuff and i think i could have been more flat on the diffuse, although im custom to always painting in lighting, I'll get used to it sooner or later grin.gif

mapsjt9.jpg

and some real-time shots:

shotshw8.jpg

unfortunately i couldn't get your custom shader working, unrecognised symbol or something

i know it sounds pathetic to ask, but you've had your share of experience in the industry so your words are valued, but do you think i could get an in-house job on a commercial title? i realise without any shipped titles, im not the most convincing candidate, and that i should also build a steady and diverse portfolio with evidence of game optimizations and such, what would your advise be in trying to get some first experience?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Hmm, what error did you get? Can you email me a screenshot and I'll try to trouble shoot it for you?

As far as working on a commercial title, just produce a few more pieces of this quality and I think you'd make a good candidate for an intro position on a character team. This is definitely industry quality, as good as a lot of the art being put into games, I think you just need a larger portfolio. After looking at your portfolio, I think faces are your biggest weakness right now. Definitely try to work on getting more natural proportions. I think you should also do some diffuse/specular tests. Right now your specular is just a hue shifted version of your diffuse. You should probably take out a lot of the highlights from your diffuse, and have a more even overall application in the specular per material, only slightly exagerating edges and forms with more intense specular. Right now it has a weird feel where you've painted in highlights to the diffuse, and then theya re highlighted even more with the spec map.

I think you're on the right track, just try to work up your weaknesses and add to your portfolio. Being willing to move can also open up a lot of studio doors.

poop.gif
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the tips, im always pushing myself to try new methods and get them right as best as i can, and i realise now that what ive done with the specular map is an obvious and foolish mistake. grin.gif

i will certainly experiment more with specular mapping and try to cut back on the painted lighting. aswell as brush up on my anatomy

ive sent you an email with the error grin.gif