Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1 week character

Magnussen
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Magnussen polycounter lvl 10
Hey everyone. New to this site, and to low res characters (game characters).
I'm a student at Danmarks Designskole (Danish School of Design) and we're preparing for a game production in march. Here's the result of the previous weeks effords. Right now I'm learning to rig with character studio, so I might post some animation as well. I usually work with hi res models, but I hope to work with games in the future, so I'll might as weel start now. I'm posting a bunch of wip images as well.

Concept
bemag_char_web.jpg

Low res (max)
max_lores_front.jpg
max_lores_wire_front.jpg
max_lores_back.jpg
max_lores_wire_back.jpg

High res (max)
max_hires_front.jpg
max_hires_back.jpg

Details (mudbox)
details_front.jpg
details_back.jpg
closeup_front.jpg
closeup_back.jpg
closeup_feet.jpg
closeup_shoulder.jpg

face_front.jpg
face_side.jpg
face_back.jpg

max_lores_normals_front.jpg
max_lores_normals_wire_front.jpg

max_lores_normals_back.jpg
max_lores_normals_wire_back.jpg

max_lores_normals_texture_front.jpg
max_lores_texture_normals_back.jpg

characer_diffuse.jpg

front.jpg
back.jpg
front_straight.jpg
right.jpg
head1.jpg
head2.jpg
bandana.jpg

TURNAROUND

The model (and texture) has a lot of issues. I hope to do something to his unnerving stare. I'm still learning, so be gentle.

Replies

• Sir Gimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Gimp polycounter lvl 17
    Welcome dude... nice work grin.gif
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    First of all, the proportions of the face are all wrong. Use reference when in doubt, if only to place the features where they are supposed to be-ish.

Second, you have a TON of wasted uv space. (I vote for making every 3d artist learn to unwrap the old-school way before even being allowed to touch pelt mapping!) And why does the bandana have 3 times as much texture space as the face? It should be the other way around, really.

//edit: I made a little liquify paintover for you, since i'm feeling extra nice today. :P Its a suggestion on what you could do to make the face a little more human.

phoenix_paintover.jpg

PS: check out how a bandana is really knit, that thing on his head doesnt look convinving enough.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    His body in lowpoly is pretty cool, but it doesn't look like your normals are contributing much at all. You have some little details in them, but for the most part it's a very boring, plain, smooth normal map. The clothing/armor/bandanna is okay, if under detailed, but his arm anatomy really needs some work. Just from a glance, I think his bicep goes way too far out into his arm, and definitely doesn't connect properly. Other than that, his arms just lack an awful lot of detail, which I think you could have built up in mudbox.

I think his head needs a lot of work, too. Try and get some more proper reference (especially from the side) before your next character. Just from looking, his brow is odd, his eyes are too big, his entire face has an odd backwards slant to it, and his mouth doesn't flow properly into the rest of his face at all.

On top of all that, I think you could use more work on your spec map, if you have one at all.

I'm sure someone else can offer some more detailed critique on a few of those areas, anyway.

Overall it seems you're off to a pretty good start. Keep it up. smile.gif
  • Magnussen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magnussen polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, thanks for the critism. I know, there's a long way to go, still. I think the reason for the porportions of the UV layout is mainly because I wanted the same scale to everything - making detailing a bit easier.
    Let's see if I can project some of your advice onto my next character. Should be starting one soon, as our Lead Artist (for the march production) has begun on the games visuals.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Hey welcome aboard! I wondered when some danish design students would show up here. I agree with a lot of the above crits, specially around the eyes. Be careful not going too dark around them, make the eyeball darker and paint in the shadow from the eyelid. I'm looking forward to seing more smile.gif