Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

mikes art thread

Replies

• mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks eq, I got everything on the top story onto a 1024 map except for the window frame, most of the textures are on the bottom.
    All up, including the ivy the building model's using about 150mb of textures blush.gif, so hopefully when they're optimised it will run ok, unless the amount of overdraw from the alphas slows it down.
    Im not too sure whats better for textures in d3, i'll ask around about it, I heard somewhere crytek are using lots and lots of small maps for there buildings, but the the ones i've seen dont seem to be very complicated.
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Less draw calls should help a bit, but i dont know, its been so long since i used the d3 engine, and it seemed like just rendering a single large texture onscreen would kill performance. So what i'm saying here might be backwards =)

[/ QUOTE ]

No, your right about that EQ, ive just been talking to jlamb from the D3:Ground Zero mod about making it fully destructable and thats something he bought up, so ill have to group as much as I can onto the same map to reduce draw calls.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its all in how you do your lighting, if you're using something like deferred shading where you do your entire lighting calc in one pass, you can probably get away with lots of materials and such. But in a system like doom3, where you have 1 pass per light that touches every material, if you have a building with 16 mats, and you have 8 lights touching it, you're rendering 128 seperate passes. Hope that helps explain to anyone who dosent get the advantages of using less textures/materials.

[edit] 8 lights touching all 16 materials, not just 8 lights in your scene.
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome, got it.
    thanks man smile.gif