Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

mikes art thread

hi, this is my first post, most of the images are created in 3dsmax and photoshop for doom3/quake4.
Cool site BTW im seeing some great artwork here.

broken03no6.th.jpg broken02oi9.th.jpg broken01az8.th.jpg

arch04po6.th.jpg arch03wg3.th.jpg arch02hn7.th.jpg arch01um9.th.jpg

citymike83jy.th.jpg citymike61pj.th.jpg citymike33zr.th.jpg

unmkrskulls122nk.th.jpg unmkrskulls6.th.jpg unmkrskulls4.th.jpg

http://www.esnips.com/doc/3d8c5d1c-0061-4242-b9ba-e6124b3ae596

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff, Mike!
    I love how detailed you get your highpoly models. I'd be interested to know how you made that ivy growing on the walls in 3dsmax.

The colour of the ivy in the first screenshots seems a bit odd, I think it's too light and green, and there's not enough contrast between the bricks below and the ivy on top (maybe needs a some shadow there to pull it out a bit).

Some of the City screenshots look a bit blurry? Are those in-game shots of the buildings, or renders? If they're renders, it looks like you need to play around with your filtering settings to get a sharper render.

Nice work all round though, I look forward to seeing more! smile.gif
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    hey mike,

cool stuff! These are nice environments.. the texturing really bothers me, I agree with MoP on the contrast and color choices. Honestly, it's just that Normaly Doomy3 look, not enough baked in light/contrast info in the texture. I'd encourage you to keep playing until you find a good balance, the rendering of normal maps is nowhere near perfect yet, so you still have to fake a bit.

The highpoly 3d however, in my opinion, is just great. That blown out arch is very volumous, and just *feels* like you could reach out and pull a brick out. Some crits though, the detailed scrolly work around the arch seems arbitrary, a bump here, a bump there. Infact, all the of the scroll work seems arbitrary. I'm no master at victorian style scroll work, but it's been around long enough for almost anyone to recognise wether or not it looks right.

I really liked the last city shot, with the white BG. I actually liked it more before I read the filename, it feels other-worldly, and is very interesting to me. It has interesting shapes, but also just seems to have a lot of character to me, as in, on what kind of world you might see those things, what the geographical and world history might have caused something like that. Tons of ideas come to mind immediate, and that's what makes me like that shot the most. It's not incredibly clear and concise, but there's still a very inspiring aspect of it to me.

Cool stuff, definitely keep posting your work here smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice stuff!

MoP, I could be off but it looks like the ivy is just splines with leaves scattered along them. At least that is what I do. I use the advanced painter script to paint random ivy, then use the same script to scatter leaves along the surface of the spline.

I only wish max would let you set the radius to different values along the spline. using extrude along spline lets you taper it, why they don't add that functionality to a regular spline I have no idea...

Back on track
    The one thing that stands out mostly in this shot. Is the lack of unifying grime/char marks. It all depends on how long the building has been like this and what type of object struck this building but you would expect to see, burn/scorch marks if it was a projectile, brick dust scattered on the white tiles regardless of the type of object, and weather grime if it has been left unattended long enough for ivy to start growing. You have to think about all the bricks and mortar that where pulverized, some turned to dust and settled, that dust when mixed with rain would leave stains and streaks.

Adding unifying grime would help tie each of the separate pieces together. Just don't go too over the top with it as it will start to hurt each piece rather than tie them together.

In this shot you have what used to be glass doors/windows but there are no remnants of glass? a force so strong that it removes all the glass would serriously mess up the frame of the glass also. A few alpha planes of glass would also help cover up and break up the black void behind the frames.

Adding some simple rubble or a broken support beam behind the glass doors would also help fill up the void.

Is any of this stuff normal mapped/lower poly? Or are the high poly assets in game?

Just some stuff to think about. Really great stuff, top notch work! I can't wait to see more!
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much everyone for the feedback, Ive never had better from any other forum smile.gif. what you guys have said in 4 posts realy opened my eyes, very helpful stuff, ill definitly keep posting here, cheers.

For the building model in the top 3 pics; its a low poly model with diffuse and normal maps baked from a highpoly model using the projection modifier in max and then the specular has been taken from the diffuse.
    Its my first proper go at working in this way, meaning from highpoly models, I knew I had a few problems with the textures but they were produced quite quickly, and havent been touched in photoshop, except I made the mistake early on of using the Nvidia normal map generator on the diffusemap (and didnt use it properly btw) and then overlayed it over the normalmap and it blew out alot of the detail, I think thats why it looks so flat, I should of used a bump map in max wich I later found out gets added into the baking of the normalmap.

When I go back to it i think ill kind of start over and try and improve it and recycle what I can, im finding alot out about the projection modifier in max, its a great tool I realy enjoy experimenting with it.

Ive put this little project on hold while I do some work on 'the dark mod' a theif style mod for doom3 id love some feedback on these models and textures, Ive basicly made them in the same way as the building but ive spent more time on the materials in max wich are used for the high poly models

shot00087eo6.th.jpg shot00085ru9.th.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
    hey mike,

cool stuff! These are nice environments.. the texturing really bothers me, I agree with MoP on the contrast and color choices. Honestly, it's just that Normaly Doomy3 look, not enough baked in light/contrast info in the texture. I'd encourage you to keep playing until you find a good balance, the rendering of normal maps is nowhere near perfect yet, so you still have to fake a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats interesting that you should say that about faking light/shadow detail into the diffuse, I here so often that diffusemaps in doom3 should only contain colour information, maybe thats the way id software did it, I dont know but im seeing a whole lot of great looking 3d game work coming out with fake detail on the diffuse especially from textures made from photos.
    Thanks for pointing that out about the scrolling, Ill definitly fix that up by spending some more time on the model, im not all that happy with it either.
    The old city shots are, well.. realy old, and at the time I didnt know how to produce a decent render from max I think I found out shortly after those shots were taken, then I lost the origional max file somehow I think it was a virus or something it was a while ago, but its all gone frown.gif

Thanks for the descriptive feedback Vig, ill keep those ideas in mind
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thank you so much everyone for the feedback, Ive never had better from any other forum smile.gif. what you guys have said in 4 posts realy opened my eyes, very helpful stuff, ill definitly keep posting here, cheers.

For the building model in the top 3 pics; its a low poly model with diffuse and normal maps baked from a highpoly model using the projection modifier in max and then the specular has been taken from the diffuse.
    Its my first proper go at working in this way, meaning from highpoly models, I knew I had a few problems with the textures but they were produced quite quickly, and havent been touched in photoshop, except I made the mistake early on of using the Nvidia normal map generator on the diffusemap (and didnt use it properly btw) and then overlayed it over the normalmap and it blew out alot of the detail, I think thats why it looks so flat, I should of used a bump map in max wich I later found out gets added into the baking of the normalmap.

When I go back to it i think ill kind of start over and try and improve it and recycle what I can, im finding alot out about the projection modifier in max, its a great tool I realy enjoy experimenting with it.

Ive put this little project on hold while I do some work on 'the dark mod' a theif style mod for doom3 id love some feedback on these models and textures, Ive basicly made them in the same way as the building but ive spent more time on the materials in max wich are used for the high poly models

shot00087eo6.th.jpg shot00085ru9.th.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
    hey mike,

[/ QUOTE ]

thats interesting that you should say that about faking light/shadow detail into the diffuse, I here so often that diffusemaps in doom3 should only contain colour information, maybe thats the way id software did it, I dont know but im seeing a whole lot of great looking 3d game work coming out with fake detail on the diffuse especially from textures made from photos.
    Thanks for pointing that out about the scrolling, Ill definitly fix that up by spending some more time on the model, im not all that happy with it either.
    The old city shots are, well.. realy old, and at the time I didnt know how to produce a decent render from max I think I found out shortly after those shots were taken, then I lost the origional max file somehow I think it was a virus or something it was a while ago, but its all gone frown.gif

Thanks for the descriptive feedback Vig, ill keep those ideas in mind

[/ QUOTE ]
    can you upload some of your textures? i'd be interested in examining them more closely, if that is ok wiht you.
    freaking great work so far.
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah sure, hope these help. Ive sized them down to 512 for the forums sake smile.gif
    texturesig8.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That's a really nice normal-map on the wall texture there. The diffuse is also good but feels like it could do with a tad more detail and noise. Some more sharp dark spots to imply cracks in the mortar would be great.

About painting or baking lighting into diffuse textures when normalmapping... a little bit usually helps a lot, as long as it's not "directional" light - ie. don't highlight the tops of every brick, or the texture will look weird in certain situations.
    A subtle GI or ambient occlusion lighting bake multiplied over the diffuse texture is usually enough, and then you can pick out any sharper edges by painting more darks in.

For example where I think this would benefit your textures, is to add a little shadow under the ivy leaves when they overlap one another - this'll help separate each leaf, and will result in a deeper, more 3d effect. At the moment your ivy diffuse/spec is looking very flat, some dark outlines where leaves overlap would help this a lot, I think.

BTW I'm interested as to your approach to modelling the highpoly for stones/bricks - I noticed a lot of the brickwork has tiny chips and cracks which look awesome, but must have taken a long time to create... do you make a set of a few different broken bricks, and use some sort of array or scatter to lay them out into the wall shape? That stone wall almost looks like you positioned them by hand. Either way it works well, I'm just wondering how time-consuming it is.

Keep up the good work, I like where this is all going! smile.gif
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all the bricks and stones have been positioned by hand, I modeled 1 stone/brick and copied it, flipped it, turned it, resized it and manipulated vertexes. The walls are tileable in all directions, it took me about a day to build the walls and ive used the same wall model and cut doorways, windows, etc... out of it. So I guess theres a bit of ground work to do at the beginning but once its all there you can pump out textures quite quickly because alot of it gets recycled, I think I just need to work on the finer details like you've all suggested, the fine cracks and things like that.

this is a basic tutorial of how these models were built
    http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=17688
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff Mike, thanks for the tutorial too, interesting to see the workflow smile.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I'd say completely kill the specular on the bricks! It might look so much cooler!
  • shape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shape polycounter lvl 17
    Interesting technique and some really cool work! I can't help but think you're restricting yourself by rendering out your diffuse as a single sheet though - either rendering out separate maps for each surface type or as separate flat colours would help you make some decent masks. Using these masks could be really helpful in PS to add dirt build up on top of each brick, and for the mortar cracks MoP mentioned.
    Also tapering in each brick slightly would help give the NM some depth, at the moment (and the AO render would help here too) the bricks seem almost flush with the mortar.

Thanks for sharing smile.gif
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the masking idea shape, ill definitly experiment with that it sounds easy enough to render out a map in block colours then select the colour range in PS.
    Some of the bricks are pretty much flush with the mortar I thought it had an interesting effect at the time, kind of a patchy look but I agree, it dosent look realistic
    Thanks again for all the comments guys smile.gifand cheers for clearing that up about the painted shadow/light detail on the diffuse MoP
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive just been working on a few urban graphiti textures, I'd realy appreciate some critique's.
    Ive been experimenting with the material editor in 3dsmax. Ive multiplied several images into one material, then rendered them to texture to get diffuse, spec and local maps and then added final touches like the tagging, I still think it might need a bit more though.

edit: deleted links, you can access the images from the 2 thumbnails below
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    U have done amaizing work. Ur normals are really great and combination with light and specular looks very impressive.
    I didn't see it in posts higher, but maybe i missed some, the shots are from doom3/quake4 engine or from max?? They are look like from engine but i'd like to be sure 'cos i have always problems with lighting in max and here it looks awesome.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I like the top grafitti texture quite a bit, the second one, it may just be personal taste, but I think there's a little too much paint on it. I'd like to see more brick poppin through that paint in places. The stuff up top looks really nice, keep it up.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    damn man, cool work!
    but i couldn't see all images, cause they are TOO heavy.
    can u compress it somehow?
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the replys, the two textures above are rendered in max but they should look pretty much the same in the doom3/quake4 engine and with the lighting I just used 1 target spotlight.

im not too sure about the second one either I like the colours but I think maybe they take up too much space, its hard for me to tell what it will look like until I put it in a scene, thanks for being honest smile.gif

Askhat; do you mean they're too big? sorry mate, heres some thumbnails.
    snakcity01qf0.th.jpg painting01lm3.th.jpg
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    detailpi9.th.jpg arch01fullcy0.th.jpg archwe3.th.jpg

some more HP stuff, Ive been spending alot more time on textures lately and also trying to find the right balance of using bump and normal maps combined with geometry rather than just modeling everything like in my previous attempts at this method.
    and ive been having some fun with the LP ivy there too smile.gif
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arch01fullok6.th.jpg rosery01po8.th.jpg

spent a bit more time on the lighting and added the rosery thingy.
  • systmh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i love those groups of collapsed towers you've made, they look very natural and entropic. i think that's the word i want. anyway, i scrounged through your imageshack stuff and i found the sketch for it (or at least something similar. it was called plantcity.jpg i believe); that sketch is really something, i think you should show it.
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks systmh, heres the scetch smile.gif

plantcityfa0.jpg
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres some more concept sketchs some of them are pretty old;
    9copyed0.th.jpg10copydl7.th.jpg12copyup3.th.jpg
    7copywe3.th.jpg6copyev1.th.jpg5copyam6.th.jpg
    4copyhw9.th.jpg3copyvp7.th.jpg2copygd4.th.jpg
    1copysh2.th.jpg[11copyca4.th.jpg8copy.th.jpg
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivyblendblackmh2.th.jpg

Ive managed to create (with some help with the shader) a good solution for current gen foliage using vertex blending for shadow in doom3/quake4.

You can also see below how I set up the model for lighting and projection, it basicly follows the same principals as this tutorial, except its been reduced to a plane and your working with alpha channels instead of solid geometry.

The black sheet in between the projection plane and the model (wich must be full black) is used to insure that your alpha channel is solid without any unwanted white bleeding through.
    I then extracted the full black area in photoshop by 'select', 'colour range', 'sampled colours' and then copied the black background and paste it into the alpha channel.

projectionkv1.th.jpg

I just thought it might be useful to anyone making foliage for trees, if you want to know more go here: http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=18834
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been doing a bit more work on the new building its still high poly but im gradualy converting everything to low poly atm, critiques welcome smile.gif

shopfrontxd1.th.jpg
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Brilliant work man...I would put a slight variation in the color of the exposed bricks.
    like so

bricks.jpg
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks low odor ill definitly do that with the bricks, heres some more shots and a wireframe of the ornament on top, hi poly = 39891 tris, low poly = 1454.

ornament01wiresqx0.th.jpg ornamentcompare01cv8.th.jpg
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its all low poly now, apart from the broken glass which needs a texture, im hoping it should all be under 2000 polys when its finished, its about 1700 at the moment. Ive also changed a few things with the bottom story I removed the tiles and widened the windows.

these are max renders just two omni lights, one with area shadows.

shopfront02qj1.th.jpg
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL U are devoted. No, U are mad laugh.gif
    Thats awesome works man. If U wanted to depress us , U did it wink.gif Your work for sure will be in my reference folder. They are great. Keep us updated, and if here will be stars or something like in other forums for sure U deserve for all of them.
    P.S. This will be a big trouble to show us a wireframes, especially with ivy?
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah I have to admit, that's some really awesome stuff there. I'd like to see a wireframe of the ivy too. Sometimes getting insight on other people's workflow and methodology really helps you fine-tune your own smile.gif
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the encouragement, some of the feedback and crits I received early on in this thread gave me a big wake up call, if I hadent posted my work here in the first place... well, It just would'nt be the same, Also seeing all the quality work here is a big insperation for me too, I've learnt alot from this forum, cheers:)

I've just kind of been chipping away lately, i've added some new tiling ivy textures, they're good for covering large surfaces or for wrapping around framework, anything pole like. The Ivy is a really easy system to use, and at a very small poly cost.

heres some renders and wireframes:
    thanks again smile.gif

wireframe02fk6.jpg

wireframe01px0.jpg

plantsivy01dsd1.jpg

ornament04render01il9.jpg

ornament04render02au2.jpg
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a a small update.

If anyone recognises what these plants are please let me know, I just spent about 1hr on google trying to identify them but couldnt find their name, it would be nice to name them something other than weed01 smile.gif .

bricktest03pv9.jpg

bricktest02cg4.jpg

bricktest02wiresjb5.jpg
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn it, your every work only impressing me more.
    This is bloody awesome work. Bricks looks gorgious.
    I ask my mom about the plants, maybe she will know.
    Gratz for the skills man.
    U have 1 more fan - me laugh.gif
    Its so hard to find good envi artist works in the web, and I was looking for somone who has works that can push my skills forward. U'r the one. Bug thx for that wink.gif
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks for the feedback [email="Por@szek.:)"]Por@szek.:)[/email]

Ive been doing a few expirements with grass in 3dsmax8 and getting some pretty convincing results.

I started by baking diffuse, specular, normal and ambient occlusion maps from high poly geometry to get the first layer; the underlying earth and leaves.
    The earth is a flat plane with _d, _s and a bump map and the leaves are highpoly models also with the 3 maps applied.

veiwport03cs5.th.jpg

After its been baked I use the earth and leaves texture for the base of the next layer where I placed models of grass, twigs, small weeds, and some less dead looking leaves to create a realistic looking ground texture, all these models have the 3 maps also.

I bake it for a second time. All the diffuse, specular and normal maps are combined and the ambient occlusion map is then multiplied onto the diffuse.

veiwport01ew9.th.jpg

Wireframe.
    veiwport02oe7.th.jpg

One reason I baked it twice is because; If I dont divide up the work like this my pc will simply run out of virtual memory and grind to a halt, im sure alot of you have more up to date computers than I do so it may not be a problem.
    Another reason is that I can build upon the leaves base texture multiple times to create many variants of ground textures to be used for vertex blended terrain and ultimatly megatexture.

Heres the final result in quake4, the textures are 1024, and Ive put a single light above where the player is standing in these pics, theres a few specular highlights which were put in unintentually but Ive grown to like them, it makes the grass look wet like a morning dew in low light conditions and they disapear when the lights are brighter.

shot00091mq9.th.jpg shot00090lf8.th.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    convincing enough, nice work
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    yah totally, thats great grass (did I just say that?).

Good techniques.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Hey man just wanted to say thanks a lot for that brick texture tutorial, really made it easy for me to figure out this whole bake-to-texture thing I've been avoiding :P Your environments look great, I'm using them for inspiration smile.gif
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    im probably 100% wrong but those flowers reminds me of fireweed: http://gustavus.ak.us/photos/2003/FireweedSeason-full.jpg

unbloomed i guess.. anyways dont take my word for it laugh.gif

nice work though, its great to see someone taking the time to experiment and be creative with stuff like this. especially when the results is as convincing as yours.
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @hobodactyl; thanks man, glad you found the tutorial useful, cheers for the feedback

@motives; hmm, yeah they do look alot like fireweed, I spent about 1 hr searching google and found about 8 different plants which closely resembled the one I made in Victoria alone, but I see this particular one everywhere where i live especially around old abandoned lots.
    There must be hundreds if not thousands of weeds with simalarities all over the world, Im glad its pretty generic, thanks for the pic, it could make for an interesting scene i'd really like to do more experiments with colour like that.
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just made this tree model for a doom3 mod called 'Ground Zero' who ive been providing a few assets for, its pretty cool, they're doing some really amazing stuff with the programming for creating large outdoor environments you guys should check it out, really interesting stuff:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=18079

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=19173

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=18240

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=18932

treesyh4.jpg

trees4hn8.th.jpg trees3aj7.th.jpg

Download tree model

In the .rar theres 3 .ase's;
    1. poplar_base: tree with trunk and branches (no foliage)
    2. poplar_foliage
    3. poplar_full: tree model with full foliage

the poplar_full model is about 240tris.
    You can add the 'poplar_foliage' model to the 'poplar_base' multiple times to create many tree variants.

Ive got it on 4x anti aliasing and theres some weird shit going on if you look closely at some of those shots, is this normal?
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Hey man looking good; about the weird shit, are you talking about the sort of "dithering" going on with the leaves? I don't really know, but if that's what you mean I would assume it has something to do with how the Doom 3 engine checks its alphas, it may sort of fake it rather than trying to figure out what order they go in or whatever.

I just wanted to show you a wall texture I'm working on using your technique:
    brickwall.jpg

Still working on how to make my stuff look as good as yours, but you're helping me a lot!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Mike, that looks cool.

As for the tree antialiasing issue, it's because the tree foliage is alphatested, it will always have hard edges, the engine can't antialias alphatest edges for some reason (our programmer gave me an explanation one time but I forgot exactly what it was - something to do with the way graphics cards' antialiasing works.
    If you have an NVidia 7-series card you can fake it by running at 6xAA, it's not true AA, it actually supersamples the whole frame buffer so you'll notice a huge drop in performance cos it's basically running at double the resolution smile.gif
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for showing me hobodactyl, looks good, keep me posted and let me know if you have any ideas in regards to workflow and this technique.

Thanks for clearing that up about the AA, I just got a new graphics card and atleast now I know its not a hardware issue:).
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey MoP, would you happen to know anyhting about using the 'deform sprite' def on an alphatested shader with specular and bumpmaps?

Ive been trying to get this to work for foliage on trees but instead I ended up just creating a 6-tri cluster model (3 planes facing at each axis) for the foliage using the same material but removed the 'deform sprite' def and I personally think it looks ok possibly even better than it would have if i'd used sprites, but id still like to get them to work.
    This is the shader im using:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>models/nature/tree_foliage01
    {
    deform sprite
    noShadows
    nonsolid
    noimpact
    twoSided

qer_editorimage models/nature/tree_foliage01_d.tga

{
    blend diffusemap
    map models/nature/tree_foliage01_d.tga
    alphaTest 0.5
    }
    }</pre><hr />

This is what im getting:
    trees5hq3.th.jpg
    basicly an unlit alphatested sprite.

I know its possible to get a particle effect sprite to use an alphatested shader, but havent found a way to get it to work through the shader alone using the 'deform sprite' def, im really not too clued up on doom3 shaders but it just seems like such a simple thing.

Would really appreciate any help from anyone one this smile.gif
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I thought that first ground zero picture was a photo until I saw the HUD.
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just been getting some stuff in game, thought id better do it now before I end up with 50 odd assets to port to quake4.
    Its not showing the best fps there, nothings optimised in regards to textures and it seems to drop about 10 fps when I take a screenshot for some reason, but im not too concerned about the stats at the moment, ill be able to optimise it later if I need to, the shopfront model has 16 materials all up of many different sizes, ill try and get around to posting the maps up soon, I'd really like some critique on them, particually the specular maps.

wip04vm0.jpg

wip03sm9.jpg

wip02fn4.jpg

wip01tg2.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    crazy amount of detail, i love the vines and leaves, it's a bit repetetive from a distance but up close it looks amazing - nice work! smile.gif
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely!! it's just wonderfull smile.gif
  • andym12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing stuff. That grass technique is great. smile.gif
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers guys smile.gif ill definitly mix it up a bit more and mke a few variants of the textures.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thats looking really cool, you should try grouping your objects together, maybe combining some of your textures so you can use less materials, and things like that, should help you out with performance a bit.

Less draw calls should help a bit, but i dont know, its been so long since i used the d3 engine, and it seemed like just rendering a single large texture onscreen would kill performance. So what i'm saying here might be backwards =)