Home General Discussion

Interesting read...

sledgy
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sledgy polycounter lvl 18

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/24/AR2006112400789_pf.html

And if you haven't seen "An Inconvenient Truth" starring that "charismatic super-star" Al Gore then you should - it's pretty enlightening.

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hah! awesome.
    You'd think they'd be more clever than that, right?

I saw the movie, and it was a lot better than i thought. A lot less manipulative than i'd expected, i guess.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    thats ridiculous.
    i was shown this movie in class last week, and god damn.
    i've had two of my teachers openly call bush a moron, and he is a moron, if he has no problem lying to his entire country (not to mention the consequences of his lies).

last week the federal government submitted a legal proposition to some national green organization protesting CO2 is not toxic.
    i mean, if exxon would say that, that's a given.
    but the whole government?? how corrupted can you get?

its so sad, and seeing this man al gore who could have been in bush's position
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    I can't understand how a group of people could be so shortsighted. The "business as usual" mentality that we're fed on a daily basis is sickening. Even if corporations really are so profit-driven that they cannot be troubled with minor issues such as the impending doom of human civilization, surely they can realize the economic consequences of such recklessly stupid behavior.

I'll be watching the film in science class this year.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Zcubed me and my brother were just talking about this ! How rich people have all through out history not cared who they hurt and how there actions affected other people . Take the cigarette industry for example . They don't care if every single person is killed by there product because it does not effect there bottom line in the long run. The same thing goes with coal burning Power Stations , Petroleum Industry , Medical Waste Industries and all the other massively polluting companies. Rich people don't care about anybody but themselves so nothing is going to change . Steven Hawking even said he does not see how we cannot destroy ourselves ..sooo
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    What's interesting is the idea of truth. With subjects like this, it is very easy to support either side of the argument. There are facts out there that seem to prove both the "positive" and the "negative." And when it's all put into perspective, you realize that everyone that is trying to "convert" you either way is full of shit, and in most cases after some personal gain. It's not just rich people. It's anyone, anywhere, that has something to gain (money, power, influence) by convincing you to feel the same way they do. Just because an idea is popular, doesn't mean it's the truth. Be aware of the source, and what they would gain.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    What's interesting is the idea of truth. With subjects like this, it is very easy to support either side of the argument. There are facts out there that seem to prove both the "positive" and the "negative." And when it's all put into perspective, you realize that everyone that is trying to "convert" you either way is full of shit, and in most cases after some personal gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

But even still, one side is correct and the other is mistaken. Everything else is just window dressing.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    What's interesting is the idea of truth. With subjects like this, it is very easy to support either side of the argument. There are facts out there that seem to prove both the "positive" and the "negative." And when it's all put into perspective, you realize that everyone that is trying to "convert" you either way is full of shit, and in most cases after some personal gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

But even still, one side is correct and the other is mistaken. Everything else is just window dressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're a little off the mark, there. Both sides are generally wrong, one is just less wrong than the other.
    Alternatively, they're equally wrong but one side is wrong in a more humane fashion.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    although the movie is undoubtedly showcasing a "correct" or "positive" issue, it is biased.
    2 seconds after it started, without knowing what it was about, i told my teacher he shouldn't be displaying us with propaganda movies.

if anyone has seen it here, it starts by showing people admiring some figure, (they dont show gore's face, just feet, back, etc.). its cheesy, and low, and i feel if they take off the whole ego bullshit it would be more efficacious. is this about the co2 or how awesome is gore?
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See, that's where you're wrong... and here we are proving my point :P j/k. Don't take my statement above as siding one way or the other on the topic at hand either. Expressing a strong view on anything puts a wall around ourselves when it comes to being open minded and meeting new people. I speak for myself here. Eat, digest, deficate.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    What's interesting is the idea of truth. With subjects like this, it is very easy to support either side of the argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about climate change itself, or about the issue of whether or not the documentary should be shown in schools? (I haven't actually seen it yet, so I can't comment on the latter)

If you're indeed talking about climate change, then you'd be dead wrong. There is virtually NO evidence to support the argument that carbon emissions do not contribute to climate change, while there is an immense amount of evidence to support that it does.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not quite sure what it is that you're trying to prove, Retleks. Of course there will be many people with ulterior motives (Shotgun and Trey Parker called out Al Gore on taking something of an ego trip grin.gif ), but part of being open minded should be sifting through the junk on either side of the argument and formulating your own opinions/beliefs. If the NSTA allows the American Petroleum Institute to release web-based propaganda, shouldn't the students be exposed to the environmentalist perspective as well?

EDIT - Keyzer beat me to the punch. We seem to be debating two entirely different issues at the moment. I thought that the question was whether or not the NSTA acted appropriately when it refused to distribute the film.
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was being pretty general there. And I stand by my statement. As far as my personal opinion on the subject. I don't know enough to really firmly say either way, but I'll tell you a story. 10 years ago I moved from the Houston, TX area, just outside of pasadena, which is very poluted. Now before I moved, I didn't really have an idea of it's quality of air. Then I moved to a subburb of Atlanta, and I breathed the air. And my first words there were, "wow, that's oxygen, like clean refreshing oxygen." So I don't really need to do a lot of research to form the opinion that I like clean air. However, I did just get done reading "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton, which is about Politicized Science, and has a wealth of resources attached to it. I'm sure given actual research (you know going to sources other than the popularized ones) you might find that your statement holds little water.

edit: Yes, perhaps we are off topic, and whereas I tried to stay nuetral, I failed. I think I have a problem of arguing for arguments sake... gotta stop that.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    If you don't like the experts then find out for yourself. Nobody has a monopoly on actual facts.

Either there is human caused global warming or there isn't. There is no third option. Even if there is no way to know for sure, it doesn't change the fact that one side is right and the other is wrong.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure given actual research (you know going to sources other than the popularized ones) you might find that your statement holds little water.

[/ QUOTE ]

My statement holds plenty of water. There are zero -- count them, ZERO -- peer-reviewed studies that discredit global warming. The few studies that have been published have all been funded by companies like ExxonMobil, and they have avoided the peer-review process because they would obviously fail. The idea that carbon emissions contribue to climate change has pretty much been established as scientific fact by now, but like the issue of evolution, the facts have been muddied by special interests for political purposes.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Either there is human caused global warming or there isn't. There is no third option.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's ALWAYS a third option. You deny the insightful thoughts and opinions of hillbillies and rednecks across America when they say Aliens are responsible for this dilemma? Have you seen the Arrival? Don't you know that any movie with Charlie Sheen is based on fact?! Save us from our otherworldly oppressors Will Smith! ooo.gif
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta love those "might's" and "maybe's." They'll always be my saving grace when I change my mind about something. You seem knowledgable about the subject, and I can respect that. And you've got to be mental if you actually like pollution... who wants to be on that bill?
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    Now for some legitamacy.

If anything, all of these bits and pieces of information thrown at people should make them want to research more on the subject for themselves. A sound hypothesis requires lots research beforehand and since we just cannot go out and experiment for ourselves we must gather as much information as possible to make the most sound conclusion we can.

Still, there obvious shortcomings to both sides of the subject, but it really sucks to see that objectivity goes out the door to support ego stroking, as even the most selfless point of view can be used as a moniker in some selfish way down the line frown.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Gotta love those "might's" and "maybe's." They'll always be my saving grace when I change my mind about something.

[/ QUOTE ]

What "might's" and "maybe's"? I've used neither word in this entire thread (except for this post and in quoting you, of course).
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

If anything, all of these bits and pieces of information thrown at people should make them want to research more on the subject for themselves. A sound hypothesis requires lots research beforehand and since we just cannot go out and experiment for ourselves we must gather as much information as possible to make the most sound conclusion we can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! I couldn't agree more.

I think he was referring to his own posts, Keyzer.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My statement holds plenty of water. There are zero -- count them, ZERO -- peer-reviewed studies that discredit global warming. The few studies that have been published have all been funded by companies like ExxonMobil, and they have avoided the peer-review process because they would obviously fail. The idea that carbon emissions contribue to climate change has pretty much been established as scientific fact by now, but like the issue of evolution, the facts have been muddied by special interests for political purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that you used your internets to figure out that global warming is 100% fact. Well, I just did a research paper over how people like you are influenced by the media on global warming. If you'd like to read it I can send you a copy with the annotated bibliography. The truth is, the earth is warming, and we think it might be due to CO2 emissions, but we're not sure at all.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    recycling is obvious. same as anti-polution. It's obvious, it's the thing to do for a sustainable future.

people who disagree with that are just greedy and ignorant.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Hahaha.

I'm sure that you used your internets to figure out that global warming is 100% fact. Well, I just did a research paper over how people like you are influenced by the media on global warming. If you'd like to read it I can send you a copy with the annotated bibliography. The truth is, the earth is warming, and we think it might be due to CO2 emissions, but we're not sure at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, top marks for patronising tone, but mostly, you just do not see the vicious irony in your post do you? So you wrote a paper on 'people like keyser' being influenced by the media on global warming, but its of course not remotely possible to write one on people influenced by the other camp is it? You live in Texas, there's probably a very strong chance that local influence has helped you to reach the conclusion that global warming might not be man made.

What totally baffles me about the 'yes global warming is happening but we dont know for sure its man made so lets not act' argument, is what's at stake If you're wrong.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Lol, top marks for patronising tone, but mostly, you just do not see the vicious irony in your post do you? So you wrote a paper on 'people like keyser' being influenced by the media on global warming, but its of course not remotely possible to write one on people influenced by the other camp is it? You live in Texas, there's probably a very strong chance that local influence has helped you to reach the conclusion that global warming might not be man made.

What totally baffles me about the 'yes global warming is happening but we dont know for sure its man made so lets not act' argument, is what's at stake If you're wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're looking for vicious irony I'd be happy to serve. I never claimed that global warming was not man made. I never claimed it didn't exist. I'm not conservative, republican, and I don't wear a cowboy hat. I recycle and conserve energy. I don't watch Fox News. What exactly is influencing me to, as you put it, "reach the conclusion that global warming might not be man made"?

Yes, my post was a bit patronising, but from reading forums and websites around the internet it seems like everyone capable of searching Google feels they have the capacity to make very strong claims.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to read the essay you wrote for Mrs. Kimberly's 5th period English class, but I think I'll just stick to peer-reviewed articles that are written by the world's top climatologists and published in legitimate science journals. Thanks anyway.

The argument isn't as simple as: "are carbon emissions responsible for climate change? Yes or no?" There isn't one single cause for climate change -- there are several contributing factors. What we do know is that one major contributuor to climate change (one we actually have control over) is carbon emissions. It's been well established. You'll find about as many climatologists who disagree with that as you'll find biologists who don't believe in evolution (i.e. virtually none). The scientific community is unanimous on this one, and their opinions aren't "influenced by the media."
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd love to read the essay you wrote for Mrs. Kimberly's 5th period English class, but I think I'll just stick to peer-reviewed articles that are written by the world's top climatologists and published in legitimate science journals. Thanks anyway.

The argument isn't as simple as: "are carbon emissions responsible for climate change? Yes or no?" There isn't one single cause for climate change -- there are several contributing factors. What we do know is that one major contributuor to climate change (one we actually have control over) is carbon emissions. It's been well established. You'll find about as many climatologists who disagree with that as you'll find biologists who don't believe in evolution (i.e. virtually none). The scientific community is unanimous on this one, and their opinions aren't "influenced by the media."

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it was a research paper written for my university. What's your email so I can send you a copy? Since you obviously have done zero research on the topic yourself, I think you'd be interested to see the sources I used for my paper.

In fact, here is an interview to get you started.

[ QUOTE ]
    Few people are better suited to assess the current situation than Dr. Malcolm Ross. Dr. Ross is a recently retired research mineralogist with the U.S. Geological Survey. He holds a Ph.D. in geology from Harvard University. Dr. Ross is past president of the Mineralogical Society of America and has published 84 papers and 63 abstracts in peer-reviewed journals. He is currently affiliated with the Science and Environment Policy Project in Fairfax, Virginia and is a research associate with the Environmental Sciences Laboratory, Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, New York.

Cohen: The Clinton administration is actively pursuing policies aimed at curbing global warming Is this an example of junk science?

Ross: Yes it is. The idea that humans have significantly enhanced global warming is by far the most massive abuse of science that I ever have seen. The prediction of disastrous global warming is used to justify a policy of centralized control of the world's energy resources. Radical environ- mentalists believe that if the industrial nations do not reverse their economic growth they will destroy the Earth. Scientists who point out that recent measurements of actual temperatures do not indicate anything out of the ordinary—and plenty of scientists have found this are accused of being in the employ of greedy commercial interests. In fact, they are merely telling the truth. Those pushing the global warming—now called "climate change"—agenda do not want to hear it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's more to the interview, but I'll save that for later.

Unfortunately, since a lot of my sources came from publications, you would have to go to an actual academic library (most likely one of your local universities) and find the book yourself.

By the way, since I like to dabble in these kinds of things, could you please return the favor and include either a link or a reference to any of the peer reviewed journals that are composed by the world's greatest climatologists?
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a good example of a "good ol boy" mentality.

Run a Google search for "global warming theory" and this is one of the top hits. This looks all very official. "NCPA" is an official sounding acronym. Their logo is pretty cool too - very official looking, but the "National Center for Policy Analysis" is not a government agency, it's a private company. "NCPA is a non-profit public policy research institute seeking innovative private sector solutions to public policy problems."

http://www.ncpa.org/ba/ba299.html

Reading the article, the author seems very reasonable with arguments that the "global warming theory" is made up by alarmists with something to gain, except the stats are way different and he doesn't make any note of his sources.

So I Google the author, "Sterling Burnett" and he's sure on someone's shit list:

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/05/23/gore-movie-g/

...claims that the NCPA gets substantial donations from ExxonMobil which certainly puts into question their "non-profit" status.

Personally I think if it's true that we're heading for a global disaster unless we change then it's too late already because people don't change overnight, they change over time. But if we have to start building Water World rafts then Sterling's getting stabbed in the nuts!
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm...Ok so "golbal warming/climate change" arguement aside, what baffles me is the denying of human effect on the environment. 5000 years ago = No factories, No powerplants, No automobiles...Now? all of that plus far less air filtering forests. So my question is, How could it NOT effect the system that is our atmosphere? Denying that is like denying that humans could hunt a speicies of animal to extinction. Already proved ourselves wrong on that one. We drain thousands of acres of wetlands and build cities or cattle farms there...how is that not changing the environment? Just because it's air and we can't immediatly see the change like a mountain being leveled, then there's no change? Like it or not humans are a force of nature, both creative and destructive. We are just as much a part of the systems of this earth as the water that flows through the oceans.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sonic, dude...

The only reason I can think of that anyone is arguing about it at all is business. If we all suddenly changed our consumption habits, recycled 100% of our waste, stopped clear-cutting trees and planted two for every one we took down, reversed the acceleration of the already massive spewing of carcinogenic gases and particulates into our breathing air, all in the name of global warming, even if it weren’t true this would be a bad thing? Call it whatever you want. Call it dwindling oil supplies and that it’s going to take whatever reserves we can muster to (try to) develop the next source of energy before we’re all rudely thrust back into the stone age.

Business tells us to “do this, buy that, think this is cool, consume more”. Despite the seemingly genuine smiles and warm, fuzzy stories they do not have our best interests close to their hearts.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Despite what anyone says about the motives of both sides, it seems nigh-on undeniable that we've had a heavy hand in this, and wether it's completely or only partially our fault, isn't it time to take up responsibility? Hawken's opinion strikes me as being logical, but very few people subscribe to it.
    A lot of people hang on to the 'what change can I alone make?' mentality, which roughly translates to 'if i do this, what difference will it make?' which is about the worst way to look at it.

Sonic, despite me believing you having put a lot of work and research into that article, wouldn't you agree that, regardless of how much of it is a direct result of our lifestyle, a change of habits really wouldn't hurt? When i learned how close Europe's getting to America's consumer-levels, that was a sure eye-opener for me. It's easy to say "but them 'mericans are still way ahead! hurhurhur", it's really rather immature.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    Yesterday I listened to this very interesting interview (two parts) and you can too.
    Today the show continued with this interview dealing with ancient atmosphere and dinosaurs. The interviewee, Peter Ward (just today)mentioned this site, which I bothered to read a bit of.
    http://www.realclimate.org/

Here's a critique of Michael Crichton's State of Fear ;

And here's one of Gore's Inconvenient Truth.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was reminded of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkzCi5mHvkc

strangely educational for a postrocky videoclip