Home General Discussion

Car GPS units?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
steady polycounter lvl 18
I'm thinkin' about buying a GPS unit for my car. I am tired of getting lost in the city, and ending up wasting time and gas driving in circles, and getting scared when lost in the ghetto. confused.gif Any recommendations? I have heard that Garmin is the best, the 320 or the 350, but they are pretty expensive. Also, is there a monthly fee with these things? Thanks.

Replies

• Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Garmin is probably the best choice, a friend of mine bought one for his parents and a more recent model for himself.

There are no monthly fees, but updating the maps/software cost money. If you plan to use it only in the states it shouldnt be a problem tho and should be quite up to date for big cities.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    If you've got a laptop, and don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a gps system, I can strongly recommend MS Streets & Trips with the usb GPS add-on. I used it on my west coast road trip, and have continued to use it around the bay area for general navigation. The voice directions for the system works really well too.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    I use a small garmin etrex on my motorbike. There is no montly cost but you can buy maps to load onto the unit. They are pricy, but also available at any of the questionable sites you might find movies or games on the interweb;) After your trip you can download your path to google earth and watch a flythrough.