Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ancient-Pig's Photoshop face painting tutorial

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
Sup all... I wrote this tutorial, trying to be as in depth as possible.

Applicable to current gen, and next gen texture maps...

Here ya go:

http://www.ancient-pig.com/main/tut01/tut01_01.htm

It's lengthy, but I cover lots

Replies

• Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome tutorial Ancient, nice details and really well done texture.

Spark
    www.bbriley.com
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    yay.

you need to post around here more often... >_<

One tiny error. The 'Spacing' checkbox is under 'Brush Tip Shape', not 'Shape Dynamics' as you suggested.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    Wow! I learned something! Thanks! Bookmarked.
    I explored a bit- very nice work on Gun.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Couldn't have come at a more useful time thanx this is going to help me a ton. I used a similar process when i actually do texture heads.

Hope to try this out today and post some images on the usage of this tut. Thanx a ton BTW, you got mail! smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff, some really useful info in there. I think the first few pages could be more technical to help a beginner get to page 3. I understand somethings get assumed as they are second nature to you now. Some greater explaination of where the light and mid tones go would be helpful. Almost in a paint by numbers kind of way might help a beginer to know where to lay down colors and in what amounts. If you paint your light and mid tones on a seperate layer just sharpen these layers till they have defined edges and fill them with a solid color. No one has to use this in thier final texture but it would be helpful to see.

Some explanation of the shapes and forms talked briefly on page2 would be good for beginers also. Explain why areas are casting shadows like the upper lip being shaded, and the lower being lighter. Little things you "know" about a face that you painted but didn't explain. I know it gets hard when it becomes like second nature =P

Thanks for the tips and tricks!
  • Ancient-Pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the crits and comments all - very insightful. I guess it's pretty easy to end up leaving stuff out when you're trying to cram everything in there, as ironic as that is :P

When I find some time, I'll definetly make some adjustments (maybe even write a new one.. this one's a little old)

In the meantime, $!nz has been kind enough to format this into a PDF version - it can be downloaded here..

http://www.ancient-pig.com/main/tut01/AP_facetut.pdf

Thanks again
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    That's an awesome little tute dude... Thanks heaps for that! I've always had a bit of trouble getting my skin texture from looking so smooth and painted. Seeing how you've done it makes plenty of sense and will definately give it a try next time.

-caseyjones
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome tutorial man, came at a good time for me as I'm fast approaching painting a face as opposed to making a headwrap from photos. Thank you for posting the pdf version as well, added it into my tutorials folder smile.gif

The spacing on the blend tool is really helpful, I've heard fellow students not liking the way the blend tool works and now I have the solution.

Thanks for writing it
  • Turoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turoid polycounter lvl 17
    Thank you!! for making this perfect tut. I defenitly learned some new tricks from it.The final texture looks very good too btw wink.gif
  • justinlalaland
    Most excellent tutorial my friend!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talking about spacing: One thing i can't be enthousiastic enough about is turning off spacing alltogether for the smudge-brush, and using a round, slightly textured brush. I use a contrast-rich picture of the top of a tree, which i mirrored to be round.
    This way it becomes a great tool for mixing colours, and softening out contrasty areas.

oh, you'd allready mentioned that, heh.
    My bad!

This really changes the brushtool into something i can actually use, not to mention it gets rid of the horrid slowdowns that excessive smudging can create.