Home General Discussion

Final Fantasy XII

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
Picked up FFXII special edition last night and played it for about 2 hours. It starts out darker than the Final Fantasies I've played (8, X & X-2).

Combat is kind of strange, I don't have a party yet so I don't have any experience with the gambit system but it is nice that you can actually see the monsters on the field, I have a feeling I'll have to avoid powerful monsters now that it isn't random encounters. The other thing I like is the ability to avoid some powerful attacks, you will get a warning that the monster is readying a certain attack so you can run out of the blast radius or get out of it's way if it's a direct attack like flame breath.

I've noticed that the textures aren't as clean looking as FFX, there's a more painterly look to them, in some cases it looks nice, but Vaan's abs look like they were chiseled out of stone which would look out of place on anyone, let alone a 14 year old.

Overall the game has a bit of an MMO feel to it, I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i loved the characters , best lowpoly faces i have ever seen smile.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i havent had a chance to play, but i spent my time last night spooging over the designs.

If anything, im giong to beat this game to see all of the fucking sick art in it. Those guys have really masterd a bad ass unique style.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Circuit City has FFXII onsale this week for $37.99
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/howToGetI...tores=true#tabs

ordered mine today, free shipping too smile.gif. saves your 12 dollars over buying in stores.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah, the big battle sequence at the beginning reminded me of the best battles from Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, I had a severe geekgasm
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Last FF game I played was FF6 on the SNES.

I went out and got this one. I just felt more connected to it than all the others. Like the moose said, the artwork blew me away too. I really enjoy games that are super tight and consistant.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Lee3dee thanks for the Circuit City tip, I was on my way to pick it up at EB until I read your post on the thread, you just saved me a couple of bucks! Now enough writing, time for me to get lost in FF12, Later!

Marcus Dublin

Artist - Kaos Studios
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, I played about two hours last night, and so far really enjoy it. It seems a lot like FF tactics in its feel and mood, which is a good thing. I love the epic feel of it.

Im not sure about the battles yet, It's cool, but weird at the same time. Like the first time you go on a hunt for that tomatoe, there's like a friggin TRex out there that is like lv 30. So that's kinda crazy.

The licsense thing is wierd too. But I'm sure I'll get used to it. I plan on playing a loot more tonight though.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Just bought the game myself, and so far it looks like a real return to glory for the FF franchise. 9, 10 and 10-2 all had things to recommend, but none was the total package of great visual design, gameplay and story telling (10-2 should never have even happened...)

The way this one starts out reminds me a lot of FF 3/6, with such a dark and disturbing introduction. The visual design is really reminisent of 2/4, which I definitely love. When FF7 started the whole futureistic visual style, it was fun, but the last two were so far removed from the classic sword-n-sorcery stylings that it was hard to remember what the 'fantasy' aspect was.

The new combat system, it just rocks. It's amazing how Square keeps reinventing the interface and coming up with something more engaging.

The opening cinema... just beautiful. That's what the final battles of The Phantom Menace should have looked like!
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    The art style just completely blows me away.
    The architecture, too, is amazing.

The production quality of this game makes me weep frown.gif
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    hows the story? For me FFX had the most engaging storyline..although I think this one isn't as similar?
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Man I've been waiting for this for ages. X-2 really put me off FF for awhile, but so far everything I've heard about 12 has been positive.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity: the story so far rocks. I'm about 4 hours into it, and I've been pretty engaged by the story. Way better than FFX story.
    And my favorite part, the main character isnt a complete angsty idiot! Sorry to all the Tidus fans, but that dude was dumb as hell.

But yeah, story is very awesome, almost a lot like the FF tactics storyline. I love it. Love that soundtrack too, kick ass score.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    marcus,
    now you owe me a dinner whenever I take the train up to NYC with that saved money wink.gif
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    Sigh...well, I've been thinking of picking up a PS2 for a little while now, since I want to play God of War and FFXII, and I won't be getting a PS3 until the price goes way down and Sony stops being insane...

Frank the Avenger
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Everything I've heard about this game has continually gotten better and better. I'm almost hoping I can't find a copy because I definitely don't have time to play it (but will anyways).
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a way to invert the camera controls?

BTW.. great game. Penelo girl is super cute I want to eat her up. hahah laugh.gif
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug: I was looking for the same thing. You get used to them, but as far as I know, there wasnt an option to invert them.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good call on the controls guys, while the weird control scheme doesn't take any points away from the game it would have been a great option to include an optional set up. Another cool thing would have been a lock on camera ala God of war, Devil may cry etc. I tend to run around the city in a worms eye view just so I can see all of the beautiful scenery going on!

Marcus Dublin

Artist - Kaos Studios

PS: No prob Lee3Dee drop an e-mail next time your in the City.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Does anyone else appreciate the anti-aliasing (kind of) filter option they've included?

The story is more in line with what you'd expect from a new Tactics or Vagrant Story game. More about opposing political factions and less "demon-out-to-control-the-world"

I think it's fantastic that they decided to hand over the IP to their vagrant story team. Everything about that team's style oozes into this game. The visuals, the music, aesthetics, the dialogue and story... all remind me of what I'd expect from a new Tactics/VS game.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    oh god dont say it's similar to Tactics!!
    *restrains self*
    ...no..time... to..play......argh....!!!!!
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i thought this one is a sort-of sequel to Tactics? isn't it set in Ivalice?
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, it's all upons in Ivalice.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'll be picking it up once I'm off the WoW addiction! (so in a few month's time)

It looks like an interesting departure from the norm of the series, some reviews like this while others are critical of it, so I look forward to getting into it. I don't like the lead roles being the usual bratty sounding teenagers, but it looks like they aren't as emphasized as previous FF games.
  • FightingChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FightingChance polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    i thought this one is a sort-of sequel to Tactics? isn't it set in Ivalice?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is set up in the same world as XII; I'm not sure that the original Tactics for PS is in that world though.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Picked this game up last night and played for 6 hrs . Ohh man the visuals are amazing ! Square just has such amazing art direction and production . I love everything about this game and so far !
  • LegionaireJoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LegionaireJoe polycounter lvl 18
    I have the CE & CE strat guide; when I found out there was an artbook, I had to get it.

FFXII's score is my favorite of the series; something about the music is just amazing. Not to downplay how good Uematsu's work is, but Sakimoto's driving orchestral pieces really seem to capture the essence of their theme.

Back to getting inspired from all the gorgeous art and designs!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    my brother picked it up and I watched him play it for a bit. It reminded me of FFXI.

Also just by watching the game, do all the characters of this world have blonde/light brown hair?
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Neo: Only the good guys have blonde hair smile.gif

I'm about 16 hours into it now and I can't stop playing, I freaking love it. The only thing I don't like are Vaan's abs.
    For the life of me I can't figure out what went wrong there. Everything else in the game is so well done, and even some of the other characters have nicely painted abs, but for some reason Vaan just looks completely retarded frown.gif

Back to playing, I've got monster bountys to cash in.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Inverted camera is driving me nuts. Why the hell there is no option to just reverse it is beyond me. That's like what, a minute of coding? Geez.
    Actually, the camera is pretty bad in general. I'm surprised they didn't get chewed out more for that.

But aside from that, it's cool so far. Vaan not being an idiotic loser like Tidus is a big plus thus. Voice acting is good, the faces actually show emotion now, story seems engaging, and combat is interesting. I like how you can choose your speed, and I like how positioning comes into play now. You can block and kite enemies.

License board is a little intimidating to begin with. So much freedom to do whatever you want, no guidance at all, whatsoever. I forsee having to grind to make up for gimping myself later.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Neo: Only the good guys have blonde hair smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow!If that's not an Aryan message...then I don't know what is. Haha. I'm only joking, I don't think the game has White Supremacy undertones.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    I played through the first hour at my buddy's house last night and I'm still rolling my jaw back up off the floor. The urban environments in Rabanastre were just some of the most beautiful I've ever seen... and to think it's possible on a PS2!

For me it was the kind of experience that makes you ashamed to NOT be doing something as cool/creative/original/beautiful.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hear ya noritsune. I would much rather be making cool fantasy stuff rather than ... another pair of jeans and shoes for thug #5.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    the same guy that brought us the FFX and kingdom hearts viewer is already working on ffXII his blog and forums are good place to look at "how" square pulls this kind of stuff off. one thing they do is mirror everything, only have half the mesh in memory and then instance and combine the the other half in hardware cause its cheaper then having the whole mesh in memory.
    here is his blog http://www.yaz0r.net/
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Wow that's taking optimization and efficiency to a whole new level. Cant wait to get the tool. I think these are the best low poly models Ive ever seen on the PS2. They just ooze style.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    day 3 impressions:

i still cant get over the art. the Judge designs and skins are just too good. I love the blue on Vaan's pants, and the multi colored checker things on characters.... asdf;kasjf. its too gorgeous.

I'm finding myself having a very hard time getting into the story. Whether it is because im playing at night, or with 20 (wow, how did i really type 12 there?!?) hours between play sessions... i dont know. There seem to be too many characters and too little development, with too much information and interwindings of relationships / fucked up names. Balthier happens to be the coolest fucking character ive ever seen in game though, that character just oozes charisma and power.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    There is a lot of names (factions and characters) that need to be remembered. I'm in the same boat as moose... I can only play the game for a handful of hours after work.
    It's like watching a complicated movie in 15 minute increments over a several week period.

The art is so depressingly good. And, to me, it's even more impressive when you consider the limitations they had to overcome
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Been playing here and there after work also. And I have to resonate the love to the art here, just gorgeous. Would be cool to get a final fantasy competition on sometime, as there is just to much good art to ignore a contest on.

Spark
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah that would be awesome i'd be in !
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    This once again shows that good graphics lies in great artists and awesome design, not next-gen :P, FFS RELEASE IN EUROPE ALREADY!!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    isnt it realesed al,ready ? i mean my friend almost had the game passed 15 days ago O.o
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'm guessing he played the us-version on a chipped ps2, since from what I've seen, it isn't out in PAL-land yet.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I've read complaints about the gameplay, any of you took enough time off from admiring the graphics to talk about that?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    who cares about that crap? go hang out on the gameplay forums.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Would be cool to get a final fantasy competition on sometime, as there is just to much good art to ignore a contest on.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as it's original, FF inspired, stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
    I've read complaints about the gameplay, any of you took enough time off from admiring the graphics to talk about that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 8 hours into it and I'm loving the gameplay, I was on a hunt for a specific type of monster and I got tired of killing all the other monsters that attacked me so I just started running away from them. I used to find random encounters really annoying when you were backtracking or doing a side quest, especially when you're getting attacked by easier monsters = crash, wait for intro animation, kill monsters with one hit, winning pose, loot.

I'm starting to like the gambits, I've got Vaan set up to mug any foes that are HP critical (you can only mug HP critical foes). You'll also eventually get enemy weakness gambits so you can set up something like this: if enemy is weak to fire, cast fire on them. Gambits don't completely take control of your party, you can still pause and issue commands as usual, and even control your party leader with gambits on (you control one member of the party and the other two are AI control)

The license system seems pretty interesting but you can only see licenses in a radius of already purchased ones, I'd like to get a map of all the licenses as well as a description of how the different weapon types work.

All in all it's a pretty good game, I haven't come across any groan-worthy parts yet (like FFX's HA HA HA or the entirety of FFX-2). Ok, they did use one worn out cliche with Basch, I won't spoil it for you.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The game play is rock solid KDR_11k and somewhat of a departure from past FF games. In some ways it feels like the love child of Final Fantasy Tactics and Guild Wars. So if you love leveling up and stealing loot then it's definitely for you from a game play point of view. I have a love hate relationship with the new Gambit system but it’s an optional game play feature so you can use it at your own discretion. The camera is a bit of a bitch and even though you get used to it I feel someone over at square enix should have discovered this quirk and made an invert control option, “bad QA". Overall I can forgive this one on some level and I can at least be thankful it doesn't crash on me every couple of hours, "Oblivion, cough"! The game world is huge and is easily the biggest most open ended FF game I’ve played outside of FF online so there’s plenty to do outside of the typical linear FF story setup. All in all it’s not perfect by any means and I still feel FF 7 is still the best of the series and that’s mostly due to the intriguing characters but this game rocks and if you call yourself a true FF fan then it’s a must!

Marcus Dublin

Artist - Kaos Studios

PS: 13 hours in and loving it! Lvl: 13
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm starting to like the gambits, I've got Vaan set up to mug any foes that are HP critical (you can only mug HP critical foes).

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hey, I've got a dumb question for you. I set up a gambit to do the same thing, only the other party members always kill the damn thing before the poach goes off. How do you stop them? I'm guessing there is another gambit I need to get.

[ QUOTE ]
    Balthier happens to be the coolest fucking character ive ever seen in game though, that character just oozes charisma and power.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Quoted for truth.

Great game btw.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey, I've got a dumb question for you. I set up a gambit to do the same thing, only the other party members always kill the damn thing before the poach goes off. How do you stop them? I'm guessing there is another gambit I need to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I set it up before I left for work so I haven't tried it out yet. You may need a foe HP <= gambit (I haven't seen them yet but logic says they exist)
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    The gameplay is good. It's a bit of a mixture between Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana... in the sense that your party readies themselves when they get within combat range (like CT). The SoM bit comes in with the AI... you can choose to let the AI play for you, or you can control however many characters you want.But you have the freedom to cut in and interupt whatever the AI is doing.

No more battlescreens, either. It's just like CT where the menu just pops up when a battle engages.

The AI is actually well done, and is probably what led to the decision to have the gambit system in the game (to show off AI coding). Like Justin said, you can set up a series of comands for each character. Each command is them prioratized. If the commands don't meet the described requirement, the AI moves on to the next command. And so forth.
    It's actually great if you just want to back track or grind for money, exp, etc. You basically just walk around and let the AI kill things for you. Bosses can be a little too much for the Gambit system. Mainly because the gambit commands you assign are treated as items in the game. So they need to be found. You have very basic commands early in the game... to prevent the AI from taking away gameplay experience from the player.

Fleeing is as simple as holding down R2 and running away from enemies. You can, if you wanted to, run away from every monster in the game, but the bosses will slaughter you. As far as I can tell, the game bosses are at a set level.

The questing if an improvement over 10. 10 was on rails, and gave the player very little freedom to move about. FFX12 has an environment system more similar to 11 and, if you think about it, a closer 3d representation of how exploration was handled in previous FF games... sans the huge overworld map. It's like if you were to take the top down views of the 16-bit FF games... then turn it into 3rd person POV with camera control.

What were the complaints about the gameplay?
    I do think at the moment, that certain fights can be difficult. Some of the hunting sidequests require a bit of thinking and leveling up to complete.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    my only complaint of the gameplay is that after farming for a while, then fighting a boss, you realize how reliant you become on the Gambits. I must have just missed a handful of Gambits, because I dont have very many, other than the HP>%, MP>%, foe:status (very limited). I want a damn "Stop Attacking" Gambit, so i can set up the Foe: Sleep = Dont Attack.

The Quickenings seem too random for their cost. I did one last night that magically chained 3 times (how??!?!?), and did 10k, 12k, and 9k to these tuscan raider type guys. I get full MP again... fuckin thing does 250 damage. I tried again later, and used two quickenings during the same go, and did about 2k damage, in a 3 chain. Melee damage seems extremely reliable, but that stuff is such a gamble.

For a slight UI complaint, you can miss how much damage you do all the time. Leveling up is sometimes missed when you have a melee party leader and ranged people leveling up. They could have made use of the lower right a bit more.

my only final gripe is the 'CONGRATULATIONS' bullshit. Everything is so immersive and great, then they throw that tripe in. Every time i see it i want to turn the game off... but then i realize i should save first, and quickly forget about it. It bothers me so much because they congratulate you for something they dont explain. You just beat these 4 goo guys we threw at you!!!! YAY CONGRATULATIONS!! watch as it runs away and you dont actually kill it! Now sit here with the words on the screen for another 30 seconds while we rotate around your dudes! The 'special' encounter stuff never explains its purpose other than a brief introduction and the 'grats' screen. Angers me. So help me, if it does that at the end of the game, i will be a sad puppy dog.

All in all, im really, really enjoying it. Combat, while gambits make it seem basic, is actually pretty involved and fun, gambits just make life less mundane and less x down x down down, x down, x reptetive crap and micromanagement. When you get to boss and have to micromanage, its fun smile.gif

Fighting the cluckatrice Elite Hunt last night was a blast... the fight lasted about 10 minutes while i had 2 Gambit healers spamming my damage guy, and attacking / swapping people in and out betweeen. Boss battles are a lot of fun, and definately a 'break' from the mundane farming of bone scraps ($$$$$).
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm really liking the PS2 new releases at the moment, Bully, Okami, and FF 12 seem a hell of a lot stronger than PS3's opening lineup will be.