Home General Discussion

Does networking helps to step foot in industry.

spline
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
spline polycounter lvl 17
i am student at one of the game schools in vancouver and i am very poorly networked with ppl in the industry. infact I don;t know anyone.How much does demo reel helps and how much does networking helps to step foot in the industry.Coz everyone in class is busy looking for connections and licking teachers asses to get work.And i can;t do that.Its not my thing. What shd i do?

Replies

• animatr
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    Id say focus on making your work as good as it can be. If you can land that first job, you'll be set. Then you'll get to meet lots of people and networking will be cake.
    It is important, but not necessary. I wouldnt kiss ass, that's for sure. People know when there ass is being kissed, and I tend to not like those people.
    That's my two cents man.
    Good luck with the hunt. Just worry about your reel, pimp it up on forums like this, and CGtalk, and get your work exposed. that's the biggest thing
  • spline
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!!. I was quite depressed with everyone trying to impress everyone at this artsy farsty boring artshow. Just felt so wierd and i guess teachers luv this
    students giving them atention just to get in to companies like bioware, EA yada yada.I am working on my demo reel.Hopefully shd get me job back in states.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Yes networking can get you a job, but you will only be referred if your work is good enough. The best way to impress people is with good art. If your work is good and your nice to talk to people will want you to work with them. Thats all you have to do to network. Be nice and make great work and youl land a job.
  • Mark Dygert
    Yes, it can help, and comes more into play when you are looking for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th ect... jobs. It can be hard to "make friends and influence people" when you don't know anyone in the industry. So I would say art first, friends second. But networking comes into play when its time to find that 2nd or 3rd job. After you land that first job keep in touch with people that move on. Since places are often looking for more than just one person and while they are new and their word might not mean as much as a vet of the company, it still says a lot to have someone speak up and mention your name. You have also worked together and hopefully that is a good thing.

The most important thing I think you can do while looking for a the first job is loose the ego. You don't show up to the battle field 2 days out of boot camp and get to tell everyone how to run the war, the same is true for the industry. I'm not saying you have a tude, but too many new people do and it hurts their ability to preform and I think it actually physically hurts to ask for help when they realize they actually don't know something.
  • spline
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks vig. I quite non egostic gal when it comes to work.Just lil worried if doing course in vancouver wud me job in states.:)
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Not to speak against what others have said (portfolio trumps all), there's nothing like having connections. In my own line of work, I've literally sent out portfolios to prospective employers and heard nothing back but six months later get a call because one of their current employees recommended me. My work hasn't changed as far as they know, but a voice from the inside works wonders.

Moreover, I don't think of networking as brown-nosing or ass-kissing, the way it's sometimes described, but just a matter of being involved. Over the years, we've seen literally dozens of Polycounters break into the industry in part because they're so involved here - learning from others on the forums, taking part in challenges, etc.

Say a potential hire at Epic comes down to you and an equally qualified artist - same skills, same interview result, etc. No one has ever heard of the other guy, though, while you've been involved in the community and some of the Epic guys here can vouch for your attitude and ability. You win the job (unless they ask rorschach, he hates everyone and you'll likely have to bribe him with scotch.)

Portfolio = best, networking = very good.
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Something else I wanna say, but it's sort of deserving of it's own post. When you're in situations like an art show or whatever, don't think in terms of trying to impress people - that almost never works. If you want to connect with someone, take an interest in them. Ask their opinions on art (yours, theirs, whomever), get them to discuss their own experiences, see what you can learn from them. As a general rule, people prefer to talk about themselves rather than listen to others, and you'll leave a more lasting positive impression if you are engaged and curious (again, it's all about being involved) rather than one of the masses trying to call attention to his or her own work.

Dale Carnegie 4TW.
  • spline
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with you.I guess networking to an extend helps.Also I feel since i am gal,teachers and other guy have this attitude. oh She can;t survive game industry.Where as its opposite. I am fast than other guys in the class in doing modelling and texturing.But was quite dissapointed with yesterdays party. Hence this post.
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Having a good portfolio is important, but there are a lot of SOBs out there with good portfolios. If you've got good stuff to show, and you've got people to vouch for your character, you're in much better shape. So when it comes to networking, yes, it is good to know people. But just be yourself, don't be out there hanging with people just trying to impress them.