Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Average Joe Lowpoly-ish WIP

Alright, I haven't posted anything in a a looong time, the last time was the contest with vampire hunters, trolls, vampires and whatnots.
As I said a looong time ago =)

Since I now have a job doing 3D I hardly ever do anything for myself but I felt like doing something and this is what I came up with.
I guess it's going to be some kind of generic beefcake warrior/future soldier/thug-game character..you know! Just to get started doing characters again.

As it is now it's weighing in att 9104 tris, and I'm not going to do any optimization really, it's just for the fun of it.
But what I'd really like you to comment on is the general look of it and if you have any anatomy issues with it. But feel free to crit anything you want!

I'm going to Z-Brush it and generate a normal map for him, also just as a fun project...but that's still to come...when I have the time over to spare.
Since I've been a father for 4 months now, I really can't spare that much time =)

I'm going to add lots of armor, clothes and other stuff to him, just you wait =)

Front Shot
http://www.filehigh.com/serve/20808/255798.jpg

Back Shot
http://www.filehigh.com/serve/20808/255800.jpg

Head Shot
http://www.filehigh.com/serve/20808/255801.jpg

Btw...ignore the little error on his calf...that's me being sloppy with PS =) And I'm aware of his inner thigh looking a bit wonky, but that's taken care of.

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I think you could take away a LOT of the edge loops, particularly in the face and get the same results. Also, the thigh area looks like he has some sort of baggy pants, is this intentional?
  • edgeloop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I kinda went overboard on the loops in the face didn't I? smirk.gif

About the thighs, (I forgot to say that), I've reduced them a little from what they look like in the pictures but I want them to look really muscular,
    you know, like...ice skater muscular grin.gif and I think that'll show once the texture is there. But I might have to reduce them even further to make them
    not look rediculously big.

Thanks for your input!
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    If you want to take this model to ZBrush, you shouldn't worry about smoothing groups, but instead try to make as many quads as you can, and make them evenly sized. With this mesh you will encounter many problems because of very big difference in size of your polies. Also, you have some five sided polies in the head that need to be converted to quads, otherwise you will have weird pinching going there when you subdivide the mesh. Perhaps you shouldn't worry either about getting the edge loops in perfect places for a mesh that will be sculpted, but rather make it optimized for subdivision: mostly all quads that are close to square and evenly sized. The stretched out polies will give you headache when you try to sculpt them. Add edge loops in places like arms, where you have rings of long edges. It will be easy later to rebuild the low poly mesh that you will normal map, using high poly as a template.
  • edgeloop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I guess the biggest problem with this model as it stands now (as others have pointed out) is the uneven
    polydistribution and density of the mesh.

I'll take a good long look at it and se what I can do without, and add loops where needed.

Thanks for the advice.
  • edgeloop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've yet to do the bump and spec map so this is the model with the diffuse map only, and there's some things I'm going to add.
    But that's just small stuff, this is essentially what it'll look like in the end.

There's also some less fortunate placing of seams that I'd like to move =)

I'm also going to work more on the boots as they're quite..well..boring. I'll post the flats when I get them in order (diffuse, bump and spec).

I said I was going to bring him into zBrush/Mudbox..but I think I won't bother now, because I'm so pleased with the way he turned out =)

Anyway....rip him apart!

http://hem.bredband.net/b374384/3D_gubbe.jpg
  • edgeloop
  • J O T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's looking smart dude. Nice clean work.
    As you said, the boots need more. Maybe the abdomin plate could do with a cool design on it.
    The circular volume of skin around the mouth looks abit odd, or at least where it goes under the mouth. Also, the texturing on the back of his arm doesnt look right, this should be solid around the elbow.
    Its all minor, its good work.
    I'm sure he will jump out with the spec and bump added.