Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Attack at Mosul

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
About my project:
Attack at Mosul started out as a map for Battlefield 2, but with different feedback I received from game studios and other people I decided to focus more on the high detail environment. The main idea was to focus on inner city fighting with squad based teamwork.

Thanks in advance for any criticism you guys give.

<font color="orange"> Edit: OH YEAH. Feel free to rip it apart. </font>

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some shots of the environment so far.

10.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And to go along with the environment I am also working on this Scud Launcher to put into the finished scene.

ScudLauncher_7.jpg
    ScudLauncher_5.jpg
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    Looking really nice, I don't have any crits yet...(i'll come back for that later wink.gif )

I would like to know if you are using a reference for the city shot... and if it is going to be brush based? just curious...

Also, can I see a wireframe? I really like what i see so far... Seems a bit high poly, but I assume you will use that for the normal map...
  • kiril0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kiril0t polycounter lvl 12
    dig the first shot, i can see it comming to life but theres still lots more loving its aking for.

the scud launcher looks goods except when i scrolled to the right and saw the back support, at first i thought it was an oil leak, xexe, but then at a closer look it was a support, its a bit too thin for me.
  • Psionic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psionic polycounter lvl 18
    Some cool modelling work there, very detailed!! Hope we get to see some textures on there at some point?? Good stuff!!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good. I'm not sure if I'm correct on this, but shouldn't the side tread connect to the main treads on the tires? I've never seen a split there on tires before.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a fear that the skud launcher is going to be too high poly for BF2. Of course it all depends on its placement but I see alot of areas that could be done by the texture instead of the model. Don't get me wrong its a great model with a ton of detail and looks amazing, I'm just not sure its game ready yet? Just by looking at it I bet you could keep the same level of detail and cut the poly count by 20-30%. There are a lot of details that dig into the model and since they are not sticking out you can paint it.

What I think can be done by textures:
    - The modeled X's on boxes and pannels. They don't stick out enough to actually effect the silloette of the model that much.
    - Same goes for the tread on the tires. You could just flare out a few tiny polys on the sides and paint the rest of tread.
    - The front grill. It doesn't add to the siloette of the model and is ressed in, a perfect canidate for normal mapping or a well painted texture.
    - The molding around the windows, since it goes in, you can paint it.
    - the panels in the middle that have raised edges can be painted on.

Really anything that doesn't contribute to the outter silloette of the model can be painted on. Whatever polys you manage to shave here and there can be put back into the scene. Even saving two polys out of something lets you put in an extra grass plane. Shave out 6 and you can put a box in a corner, and so on.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Yeah sorry I didn't clear it up that well in the first post but this as it is right now is no longer a map for BF2. It started out as one and you can see all the progress work on my cgtalk thread for that.

Heres the link: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=354701

The scud could be totally optimized with a normal map and I may get around to that but right now just need to fix some of the modeling issues.
    - The wheels. Yeah I forgot to close that seam up and there are some errors so I'm gonna go in and fix it and possibly change the whole tread look. I found some more ref. that I like so we will see.
    - Support stands. Yeah those are rather flimsy looking aren't they? Gonna have to beef them up. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks again guys. I've got to run to class but I'll be working on this late tonight so I'll post some updates.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    looking nice, don't really see the point of modelling signs and shit at this point though, you'd be better off tackling that once you've got the majority of the scene planned out.

Might have been mentioned before, but is this for high poly FMV or a realtime? I only mention this because at the moment your scene looks very high poly on some of the items.

It may be worth setting a polycount and working to it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's for high poly FMV.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Damn, I wish this was a map for BF2! I love that game's urban maps and like where your work is headed!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it started out as a map for BF2 and I know how to do all that so I guess when this project is completed I could convert it and cut some high poly stuff out to make the map for BF2.

Anyways here is an update.

20.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and heres another angle to take a look at.

21.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so heres a wire frame grab from the view port.

wire1.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and here are some more updates. and another angle. little bit too bright from that angle though.

22.jpg
    23.jpg
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    nice work! looking good!
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dkorch polycounter lvl 17
    its looking good jesse. now start texturing!!! haha but yea man lookin cool...few things I see, Ill crit ya in class though itll be a little easier to explain heh.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    The wires are not hanging properly, or naturally.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I really liked the stuff you were doing at CGTalk... funny for you to start over after doing so much, but I really admire your dedication.

You will need to go in and bevel edges on everything if this is going to be high poly.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The wires are not hanging properly, or naturally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah they are kind of floating. I need to go back in and tweak them once the poles are finished. I kind of put them in as place holders so I would know how far the buildings could stick out and not come in contact with them.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I really liked the stuff you were doing at CGTalk... funny for you to start over after doing so much, but I really admire your dedication.

You will need to go in and bevel edges on everything if this is going to be high poly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you liked everything I had on CGTalk. I never really started over as I still have all of the assetts from before. I'm just taking some of them and adding a lot more detail and props. The problem I was running into with making this map for BF2 was that everything had to have LODs and I just don't have that much time right now.
    I also showed the project to a few game companies in the San Diego area and the feed back I got was good but they wanted to see me go in the more high poly - higher detail environments. So here I am.
    I would still like to convert this to a BF2 map later on so if anyone would be interested in doing LOD's and helping with that let me know and we can get this thing done.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys heres an update for the night before I hit my bed.

- added street lights
    - thinned wires out and tried to make them look like they hang more naturally
    - added debris to far end (will be able to be seen in close ups)
    - rounded out the tunnels to the immediate right

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for the feedback.

26.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    as i told you before i dont know wheter it is high poly or lowpoly, you better decide wich is wich , since it seems a odd mix right now frown.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    as i told you before i dont know wheter it is high poly or lowpoly, you better decide wich is wich , since it seems a odd mix right now frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Some stuff is still just place holders until other pieces are done.

I took a break from modeling some things tonight to texture some of the more finished areas.

Here is the start of the diffuse for one of my buildings walls.

texture1.jpg
    texture2.jpg
  • anton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anton polycounter lvl 17
    im impressed. Are you using any reference for the architecture or are you making it up as you work?
    Its a shame it wont become a bf2 map frown.gif..looks like a nice foundation for a really nice map
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    im impressed. Are you using any reference for the architecture or are you making it up as you work?
    Its a shame it wont become a bf2 map frown.gif..looks like a nice foundation for a really nice map

[/ QUOTE ]

I have almost a gig worth of photos that I have from when I was in the middle east and from stuff I have collected from friends in the military and from the internet.

I would love for this to become a BF2 map. I just really don't have the extra time to put into it alone as I'm working on my portfolio for my upcoming graduation this spring.

Does anyone here have any experience with BF2 editor or how to do the textures and assetts for it? If so would you be interested in converting it?

I am also asking the USI team to see what they can do. I haven't been very active with them as of lately.

Anyways I'm gonna get back to work on some texturing.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    shes coming out pretty sweet man, keep pumpin on those textures, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

i love how you have a couple of windows here and there open in it, gives it that extra little lived in feel. good work
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so been working on breaking the texture up a bit with wear, tear, dirt and some stains.

This is just the diffuse for now. When I'm done I'll do the normal and spec maps.

texture4.jpg

texture5.jpg

<font color="red"> ** Edit - Bump Map Test ** </font>

texture6.jpg
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    if thats a tileable wall texture i recommend toning down the unique details a tad, if too many of these details appear many times over the tiling will be really obvious.

Also the nomal has too much grain on it,try to add some variation to the normal by making some areas smoother some areas rougher and some of the larger more pronounced details try to back them up on the normal as well so when light hits cracks,big chips on the wall the normal backs up the diffuse as well.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    if thats a tileable wall texture i recommend toning down the unique details a tad, if too many of these details appear many times over the tiling will be really obvious.

Also the nomal has too much grain on it,try to add some variation to the normal by making some areas smoother some areas rougher and some of the larger more pronounced details try to back them up on the normal as well so when light hits cracks,big chips on the wall the normal backs up the diffuse as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not tileable so the repeating pattern is something i'm not really too worried about. As for the normal I haven't even made one yet. I just tossed the diffuse on the bump map slot to get a quick view. When I work on the normal map I'll be breaking it up more and the parts that have big chips will be sunk into the wall more so when the lights hit it it will look like chunks are missing.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You might need to add a little more geometric detail to that bottom part to make it a little more intereting. Skirting around the base with the occasional break for a vent would probably be a good start.

I'm not overly familiar with middle eastern architecture but perhaps some false windows (like arched window frames that cut a little way into the wall) might work well and would help to break up the large areas of blank wall space.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You might need to add a little more geometric detail to that bottom part to make it a little more intereting. Skirting around the base with the occasional break for a vent would probably be a good start.

I'm not overly familiar with middle eastern architecture but perhaps some false windows (like arched window frames that cut a little way into the wall) might work well and would help to break up the large areas of blank wall space.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still trying to decide which door I want to put on this building and the window styles so thats kinda why the walls look plain.

As for the skirting or pieces around the bottom. Great idea. I think it can help with the transition into the ground. I'll have to play around with some designs and look over my reference for some. Usually its the fancier (higher class) buildings that are really nicely done but it's a video game art and not a architectural documentary so a little exageration and imagination is ok i'm sure.

<font color="red"> ** Edit - Last update for the night. Rendered out one of the angles looking down the street to see how the lighting is and how the textures will react. ** </font>

texture8.jpg

texture9.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So heres another update. Slowly adding more dirt and dust to the buildings surface.

texture11.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres a new update on the textures for the ground floor.

Added a specular map and the normal map. Still tweaking it to get it just right. Trying to finish this building up tonight.

texture18.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok this is the last update of the night. Been tweaking the normal maps and finishing up this building. I added the windows and will texture those tomorrow as well as add the doors.

Then move on down the street to the next building or work on some of the props.

As always c&c is welcome.
    <font color="red"> *** I have also gone with a much cleaner format for uploading my updates. </font>

update1.jpg
    update2.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    the spraypaint shouldn't effect the bump. unless it's a styrofoam building of course.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    the spraypaint shouldn't effect the bump. unless it's a styrofoam building of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are referring to the one where the woman is indented into the wall then I have already fixed that along with the other ones.

Now they are just a minor surface bump.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres a small update on the texturing process.

update3.jpg
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work Jesse. Having built lots of BF stuff, I would suggest sticking with either BF specs or a high poly model. BF has lots of specific things that are just a pain if you are just building a model for display purposes. If you are planning on making this for BF, you are going to want to pay attention to the non-square textures, and how your mesh has to be properly divided to tile them. Also not only would you have to build the lods, you would also have to build, decal collision, player collision, and vehicle collision for each object.

I guess all I'm saying is I would suggest just cutting loose and making an amazing model without worrying about putting it in BF, or research what BF requires before you get too far.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay: Thanks for stopping by. We got a chance on MSN to talk about the progress on this so I won't respond on here as well.

Anyways for everyone else. Here is one of the props i'm working on that goes with the environment / theme of everything.

It's an RPG. I got the idea for the render layout from a tutorial I saw on rendering for a portfolio and since I had an RPG I was working I thought hey that would look good like that so here it is.

Just started the texture on the diffuse tonight and will finish it up tomorrow and then do the spec and normal map and then finish the rocket part.

So heres the UV layouts (this thing was a major pain by the way)
    texturelayout.jpg

and heres the render of it so far
    <font color="orange"> Let me know which one you like better</font>
    rpg5.jpg
    rpg6.jpg

and heres a shot of the wireframe and poly count.
    RPG_2_wire.jpg
  • skullsplitter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skullsplitter polycounter lvl 18
    Though I'm a noob myself, I'd say you chamfered the handles a bit too much.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    I still see no evidence why the environment would be highpoly. The polycounts you use i could easy fit into the project im workin on now and same goes for the textures. Maybe i dont really get it but if you are to make it a high poly envrionment for FMV use you need to take a look at your reference and get a lot more modeled detail in your buildings.

Also you might now this but on that RPG you count polygons not triangles. Ingame it would be about 4000 triangles.

The render i think you need to get a sharper lookin shadow map. That one you got now just blurs the scene and makes it look messy. Same goes for the ground. higher definition texture! Also you would want some specularity on your materials. For real fancy render turn throw a skylight in your scene and turn on light tracer and cast shadows.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    I gotta admit, I didn't even notice the name on the post cause I was liking the modeling so much... But now that I know it's jesse... it sucks!!!!!

j/k man, it's lookin great as usual.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So my web host is down until I can get some stuff fixed with it. So here is the latest texturing wip. I started this one today with the unwrap and diffuse. Still got lots to do but wanted to get some feedback.

texture42vg1.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, nice progress.
    try changing the render setup from Area to Catmul-Rom. It will make the renders more crip. laugh.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm not to sure where it is since i'm using mental ray.

Heres an update with the normal map and spec maps applied. Still work to do but it's moving along. Just want to get this part of the building done and move down the line.
    texture44on3.jpg
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Out of curiousity, are you tiling the base texture and using decals to add elements like the painted symbols, random dirt smudges and exposed brick? Or are they just large individual texture sheets for each wall?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Out of curiousity, are you tiling the base texture and using decals to add elements like the painted symbols, random dirt smudges and exposed brick? Or are they just large individual texture sheets for each wall?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually one texture sheet. Since this isn't for a game engine any longer I am not sticking too the requirements needed to put it into engine. Just trying to make it look pretty.

This section is on a 2048x4096. Since my renders are gonna be in high res for my portfolio and to scale them down I figured I could get away with it and show as much detail as possible.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok its almost 4am and i will be working all day tomorrow on this project as the time to complete it wears down. I could spend all day on each piece but I need to focus on details that will be seen in the final renders and work towards that goal. I can always come back and rework things.

So heres the last one for the night.

texture46pl8.jpg
  • PeteJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteJ polycounter lvl 18
    looking nice, massive textures, but you can see how detailed it is for it.
    would it not be good practice to come back to this and re-do the textures for a specific game engine? just a thought.