Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My site....

New to the polycount world here. I just recently graduated the Art Instiute of Phoenix with a Bachelor's in Game Art and Design. Check out my site and tell me what you think! Also my demo reel is available there for your viewing pleasures.

Artbyrude

Peace-
Rude

Replies

• Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    fun site. only thing I can see that bugs me is your resume is too small to see and im too lazy to download a word doc.
    welcome to pc.
  • cyi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyi polygon
    The website is nice. I agree with ghost_rider about the resume being too small. Maybe you should have it link to a pop up window of a larger version like you do with the thumbnails of your models. Also, I'm not sure if it's necessary to include the jobs you have listed on your resume since you're looking for a game industry job. They don't seem too relavent....then again I'm hardly an authority on resume creation. Good job overall and congrats on graduating!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Splash > Home > 3D > Models > Thumbnails

That’s five pages you put a potential employer through before letting them see your work. Instead of slowing them down, take them right to this page:
    http://www.artbyrude.net/webpages/3d_models_page.htm

And put your name and email at the top. Remember, game companies are looking through possibly hundreds of portfolio, and it’s annoying to have to click through a bunch of BS pages that tell you it’s a portfolio before they actually get to a portfolio.

Also redo that resume larger as previously suggested.

Always have your Name, Contact Information and Position you want clearly visible on each page.
  • simplyrude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks fer the crits guys. ill take it into account for what you all said. good crits cholden, very understandable!
  • eMouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming from a web-centric background here. Are your sample images the actual size you're showing them at, or larger? Looking at them, they appear to be larger images scaled down within Flash. You really want to avoid that, especially if you have no reason to retain the larger versions in the site. Fine detail like text and wire frames get torn up by the size change. Better to rescale the images in an application like photoshop and display the images at 100%.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    I think most of the crits are spot on. I did download your demo reel right away, and found it more difficult to navigate the site. Now... you're not going to like this much at all... but a lot of the extra fancy fluff in your demo reel is just that.. fluff... now, some of it shows your ability to give some punch to UI animation, but honestly, I was more frustrated that information wasn't just laid out quickly, simply, and clearly; that a lot of pixel space was wasted on fluff when I wanted to inspect the work samples. Specifically, information like poly count, and texture size flashed by and dissapeared, and the actual work samples were thumbnail sized. I also would point out that you excluded your 2d work in the reel; which, in my opinion is superior to your 3d and texture work.

I will say this, as a word of encouragement, that the iterative process is absolutely key. Don't be afraid to redesign, rebuild, replace all your work samples, scrap, and scrap again. I know it seems like sucks to put a lot of work into something and then completely replace it, but this is where quality comes from. I think you've got a nice design, and some pretty good work to show, but the more time and energy you spend, and the more iterations you make, the better your work will be. So keep pluggin away at it man
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    The first odd thing noticeable on your site is that small questionnaire where you mark making video-games over women and beer. This may make you seem like a suitable candidate drone that companies can spank 25 hour days from, but seriously... you would choose to be hunched over a PC like a mouse-potaeto rather than hunched over a cold pint chatting to a pair of breasts?

where was the flash version? I got some HTML version with image-maps for buttons.

it's not a bad site, a little dated in concept, maybe a little frustrating for potential employers because nothing really stands out - to say - all work seems to carry the same weighting.

For the pop-ups; the image is scaled x2 with image-map buttons, I'd suggest getting rid of image-maps all together and using actual buttons, they are more tactile and give the user a sense of comfort on roll-over. Also add a close button next to the other buttons. That may sound odd because the window has a close button, but it's an extra mile when browsing on a decent sized wacom.

I think to really grab potential employers, you should follow what cholden says and put your contact details on every page. Also choose one bit of 3d and make it into a showcase that can be seen on the very first page when you enter the site.

Personally I would suggest removing the image-maps in favour of some tactile buttons that have roll-over states. Not sure what the flash version does, or if you even use flash in the site.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Give your pages the titles they deserve. Right now they are all called Untitled Document.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    cool, totally the idea i had for my site, ask poops. i even had a few pages laid out, but we all i know i will never actually finish it..... or will i? have to change my design now.
  • anton980
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the layout kicks ass! Awesome looking site. Without repeating previous comments, the only thing that bugs me is that when you switch sections, the whole thing reloads and you get half a second of black screen.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Damnit... I had a detailed reply ready and the damn page became invalid. Anyone else getting tired of that forum quirk?

Anyways, as a quicky recap of my reply, don't use Flash unless you have a good reason. Use Javascript in place of Flash so plugins aren't required. Javascript can also preload your images to improve page transitions... which is a problem as anton referenced. Otherwise my points kind of echoed those above.
  • simplyrude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks fer the crits guys. I just tweaked my site so that it can look better for potential employees. I got rid of certain pages and certain information that wasn't needed.

www.artbyrude.net

-Rude
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, hopefully my reply won't be timed out again.

You should preload your images in javascript. I mentioned this last time. The way your site runs right now, the page doesn't load all the pieces right away.
    Also to be honest, if you're going to use flash for anything, it should be for the main site. Then things would run smoother. Instead, the only thing you are using flash for is your artwork, where you really aren't benefiting from it. You are basically switching images based on clicking three text buttons. You might as well preload those images in javascript and they will transition pretty nicely.
    One final nit-pick, in your 3D section, you have images in the film strip, which is cool. But when I hover my mouse over them, it doesn't change to signify that they are clickable. I see you did an image map, but it's not very hard to add a javascript command to change the mouse pointer. That would help distinquish where the clickable areas are.

Overall I like the appearance of the site. My comments are more about proper usage of web elements and helping the feel of the site wink.gif
  • simplyrude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman- Thanks fer the critiques my friend. In terms of javascripting, Im not very web oriented. More of an artist, ya know? How would I change the mousepointer? Is there a website you know of that could gear me in the right direction in terms of javascripting? Thanks man.

-Rude
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    hi ryan, good to see you posting at polycount. congrats on graduating. it's good you're able to interact with this community, it's comprised of some really great people.

like i had mentioned before, love the site. it does load a little slow but, it's creative. i think your work shows you have enough to get a junior artist position and you're a cool dude so it's just be a matter of time the right company notices you - keep at it rude, you're doing fine.
  • simplyrude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople- Thanks man. Yeah I've noticed how slow the pages seem to load up. Im not fer certain on how to fix it though. Got any suggestions?

-Rude
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i don't know 'bout making webpages.
  • slate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This may be too nitpicky, but I wasn't to keen on the fact that your images loaded into a popup window with no "previous" or "next" button. Killing the window only to open another popup is kind of lame when you have to do it for every picture.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure how far to go explaining this since I don't know how much code you can handle based on what you mentioned.
    Basically, to preload an image, you create a new variable and set it equal to the image location. That causes the browser to load the info into that variable as the page loads. Then it's already in the browsers cache.

What I do is create a new array as a new image. Then I use a loop to load in all my images. I typically name my images with the same name, but a different number on the end. This is how the code would look to load in 10 images:
    <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
    var imgs = new Array();

for(i=0;i<=10;i++){
    imgs = new Image();
    imgs.src="image" + i + ".jpg";
    }
    </pre><hr />
    Then your OnMouseOver would make your image src change using the following:
    <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
    document.images["menu1"].src = imgAry[1].src</pre><hr />

That would be if you named the first menu image menu1.
    It may be clearer to google for "Javascript Preload".

As for the cursor, I didn't notice if you were using stylesheets (CSS), but if you are, you can use cursor:hand as a style property. If not, you can actually place it in line with the style="cursor:hand" in your image code.