Home General Discussion

First video footage of Bioshock

Replies

• acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    It's being co-designed for a console. There will be dumbing and it will be in a downwards direction.

Accept that now, and it won't hurt so much later.

Hopefully it won't be a huge problem, but even if it is I'll be able to manage. I thoroughly enjoyed Deus Ex 2 even though it wasn't nearly as good as the first one. I plan to thoroughly enjoy Bioshock because I have no expectation that it will surpass SS2. And if by some chance it does, then I'll enjoy it even more.
  • nabeel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nabeel polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's being co-designed for a console. There will be dumbing and it will be in a downwards direction.

Accept that now, and it won't hurt so much later.

[/ QUOTE ]
    They plan on releasing the PC version some time after the 360 one, so there's still hope that they'll release a PC game that won't reek of console port.

Just wanted to direct you guys to a post Ken Levine made at TTLG regarding the video. He's actually been posting there quite a bit recently in the more recent threads, so have a look there for any of the answers he gave some specific questions.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I played system shock 1&2 religiously and this looks fantastic. I cant wait for it. There was a big thing in a mag about bioshock and I thought wow.. thanks for the video.. its like wow x 10

In the mean time I wonder if SS2 will run on 2k hmm
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the art deco styling is really a great choice, i think the art direction is fantastic... the gameplay they showed isnt as deep as the guy describes, but that's just an observation from the little gameplay they demonstrated ...

[/ QUOTE ]

There's only so much you can show in 14 minutes. The great thing about System Shock 2 was that with the incredible amount of upgrading options and the balanced distribution of means to upgrade yourself and weapons kept your character progressed relatively slowly.

The basic given story (deserted and desolated environment) and gameplay look very similar to that of System Shock 2 and I hope we'll see more innovation than shown here, but if it's 'just' another story in an amazing looking art deco setting - I'm also going to be very pleased. laugh.gif

Is this still also coming out on PC?
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    Ken Levine is NOT an idiot.

John Carmack sounds just as much like a Doofus
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    holy freaking crap ... i just started playing system shock 2 ..

despite how old it is .. it is still just as immersive and just as scary ... i found the tension and atmosphere in the game to be both very unsettling and fantastic ...

developers take note..
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

In the mean time I wonder if SS2 will run on 2k hmm

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran it on 2k, and on xp as well--just played it for the first time a year ago.. you might have to thumb around through some forums to get it to work right though--especially if you have dualcore/dual processing, in which case you might have to set the affinity manually..

Either way, I got it to run well--stability was occasionally an issue, but it was certainly playable.

You used to be able to nab it off of the_underdogs.org, though I'm not sure if it's still up there anymore.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    holy freaking crap ... i just started playing system shock 2 ..

despite how old it is .. it is still just as immersive and just as scary ... i found the tension and atmosphere in the game to be both very unsettling and fantastic ...

[/ QUOTE ]

just wait till the second half. :-)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    There is also a patch so you can play System Shock 2 coop. I tried with a housemate once but we couldn't get it to work, probably due to my networking noobness.

http://www.irrationalgames.com/shock2/
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Actually I thought only the first half was scary. Scary ended after Engineering for me. The rest is just as awesome and immersive, but not so heavy on the horror side.

Except for the spiders. Dear god. SS2 has the only CG spiders that have ever bothered me. Even movies haven't been able to pull that off.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, I can see that.. the second half, once you finally know your way around everywhere, is kind of where the immersion/tense/story-based crazy things began happening.. so that's more so of what I was talking about.
  • nabeel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dunno if you guys already saw this, but they showed a pre-rendered trailer at X06. There's a 720p version from Marketplace as well.
    Very very intense.

Apparantly they'll be showing another gameplay demo on Day 2, representing a much more recent build of the game than that first video. Hopefully we'll be able to see that as well.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    that video is totally kick ass. I know that isn't actual game play, but MAN. I cant wait for the day when a FPS is that interactive, cinematic and immersive. Just wait, one day it will be. I guarantee it!

1. Seeing your hands brace your body when falling
    2. Looking down and seeing youself impaled
    3. Getting knocked around like that
    4. Feeling like your body has a practical mind of its own that doesnt inhibit the actions you input into the game yourself.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    There is also a patch so you can play System Shock 2 coop. I tried with a housemate once but we couldn't get it to work, probably due to my networking noobness.

http://www.irrationalgames.com/shock2/

[/ QUOTE ]

Coop play actually does work, i've played it with my brothers in 2000

Having a bro to repair a gun for you is always handy grin.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    this game reminds me of clive barker undying smile.gif looking forward to play it someday eheheh...
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    so many good games coming out on 360! this one looks amazing! The pouring water effect was awesome!
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    I thought that prerendered tailer didn't look very good, the in game footage has much better lighting and atmosphere. I also thought it was a shame you got to see the main character, no matte rhow cool his shoes are.

Surprisingly enough though, the girl model was very well made and animated, and the last shot with the hands looked pretty impressive.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    OH MAN
    THAT TRAILER WAS THE GREATEST FUCKING THING EVER.
    I watched it seven fucking times. SEVEN.
  • nabeel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The official site has been updated, though it seems more like a teaser than anything else and it doesn't really have anything new on it.

Also, Computer & Video Games has a video of the X06 demonstration up.

[edit]
    No, my bad, this was labeled as a new vid but wasn't really, it's the old vid we've already seen. mad.gif
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    i love the environment art style. i hate that the girl looks like she's from toy story. that cartoony style has no business being in a survival horror game. i hate that basically all the enemies are that woman and that their idea of variety is that that woman comes in different dress colors. i hate the fricken debugger RTS game health meters appearing over the enemies and inadvertenly indicating where the enemy is. i hate the lack of inertia and i hate the fricken slow speed of movement more than anything else and i hate that the pistol takes up almost the entire lower right quadrant of the screen; imagine the other guns.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    well then .. you obviously have never played system shock ...
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i hate...
    i hate...
    i hate...
    i hate...
    i hate...
    i hate...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post, Pollyanna.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ViPr: most of your gripes were answered earlier in the this thread
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    i did play system shock. i finished it. actually that was the first system shock. i thought the artwork for system shock 2 was so appalling so i didn't get it.

i find it terrible that in this game all the enemies just basically look like people on drugs. with genetic experiments i expect to see fish people or something imaginative, something with 4 legs at least, something not human at least! hopefully there will be a bit where you have to wade through water filled with deadly fish or something. i hope they are holding back on showing us some stuff in order to surprise us but right now i'm finding it very boring. and anyway the humans don't even look human, they look toy-story-ish cartoony; they look funny, not scary. plus they look like the artists can't make up their mind whether to make them per-pixel-lighting era or not.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    well, you sure have some high standards ViPr, good luck being happy
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    i will say the pre-rendered trailer is one of the best things i have ever watched but please can someone release a version without the goddamn stupid frame skipping.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Easy tiger. You've evidently not read up much on the game so let me bring you up to speed on a few aspects-

[ QUOTE ]
    i hate that basically all the enemies are that woman and that their idea of variety is that that woman comes in different dress colors.

[/ QUOTE ]This is the only model that had been completed by the time the conference came around. It has been promised that there will be a large variety of different versions of each of the enemys, probably utilising a head/feature/accessory swapping deal. There are also a variety of different splicers with differing abilities. You certianly won't have to put up with just the green dress woman with the hooks all the way through.

[ QUOTE ]
    i hate the fricken debugger RTS game health meters appearing over the enemies and inadvertenly indicating where the enemy is.

[/ QUOTE ]The UI has been completely rebuilt since the demo

[ QUOTE ]
    i hate the lack of inertia and i hate the fricken slow speed of movement more than anything else and i hate that the pistol takes up almost the entire lower right quadrant of the screen; imagine the other guns.

[/ QUOTE ]The speed (and probably the weapon screen realestate too) are an early pass and have not had time to be tweaked to an optimal level.

[ QUOTE ]
    find it terrible that in this game all the enemies just basically look like people on drugs. with genetic experiments i expect to see fish people or something imaginative, something with 4 legs at least, something not human at least!

[/ QUOTE ]They are humans on drugs. The story is that in this utopia, you can modify yourself with new genetic strains (or thereabouts) that can improve certain aspects about ones body. Its covered quite extensively in the video.
    Now, giving yourself gills in a world thats surrounded by encroaching water is probably not such a bad idea, so I'd say its a fair bet we'll meet some of your fish people somewhere along the line.