Home General Discussion

First video footage of Bioshock

nabeel
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nabeel polycounter lvl 18
I know I don't post much, but I lurk all the time smile.gif

Just wanted to give a heads up on IGN's 15 minute clip of ingame footage of Bioshock. I'm sure there are System Shock 2 fans amongst you, and definitely appreciaters of interesting art direction smile.gif

Replies

• spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I am checking it out now, I must say I am eager to play this and hope it can reclaim some of the excitement of SS2. From what I have seen so far I like the directiont they have gone in - mostly, but I am a little disappointed with the over saturation of some of the screens... as it kills what could be a haunting environment, making it feel comic'ish.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    It was awesome, Irrational is brewing a great one! The water effects as pointed out are awesome. The gameplay looks very much System Shock 2, I'm definitely down for more of that!
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Its looks fun, I still have issue with the coloured lighting.. and I hope that can increase the creepy feeling of the game. SS2's sounds was a big part of that, hope they can make it a commercial success laugh.gif
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    watch out for those fish!

lol
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    I think the over the top lighting works. You have this comic style atmosphere thats used as a backdrop to a very unnerving situation. The two extremes of utopian society and post apocalyptic uncertainty are constantly fighting with each other through the environments.

I bet there's still plenty of creepy to be discovered. All kinds of new mutants just waiting to scare the crap out of you.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    lookin shhhharp
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, that looks awesome, can't wait...

that's one colorful gun...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    The narrator dude was talkin about how they want to break all the FPS cliches, but frankly, it still looks pretty standard to me. Not that Im bashing the game by any means. It looks pretty great in fact. just sayin...

What kinda worries me about the game is the lack of variety in the characters that Im expecting to find. The enviornements will probably be beautiful and varied, but Im betting we're gonna see the same little girl and big daddy characters about 1000 times. Same goes for random splicers. Games like Half life 2 can get away with it when all the enemies are uniformed and in masks, but it kinda bothers me when everyone is a clone with no explanation. Perhaps tech or budget just isnt there yet?

The plot/story elements Im expecting to be fantastic though smile.gif And so, I will be buying it!
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    holy CARP. digging the art direction.

ive seen a few different versions of the big daddy character in screenies, so hopefully we wont see the same ones over and over again smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Gorgeous game, I'll buy it and play it, but it's just System Shock 2 with a graphical overhaul. I don't see a single cliche being broken.

poop.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Really? I saw no closet monsters. Or corridor battles. Or patterned enemy AI. Or shitty animated textures that were simply placed on a single plane and called "water". Or power ups - permanent augmentations aren't the same. And not since Deus Ex (released 6 years ago) have I seen a game an FPS that looks open ended and 'up to the player'. When was the last time you played an FPS circa 1940s that was underwater? And I'm willing to bet this game won't have a rocket launcher or shotgun. Seems to me like Irrational meant it when they said they'd like to break some FPS cliches.

Anyhoo.

My favourite part about what I was seeing was the relationship between Little sisters and Big daddys. I can't wait to find out more about that - why it is how it is exactly. The idea behind Rapture, why it was made and how it came to be, really intrigued me. As he was walking around in the video I had an interesting sense of wonder - I really wish I could have taken over the controls and looked around some more.

Oh, and what FPS couldn't do without a little bit of Adam? smile.gif
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Yes it's System Shock 3 in other clothing, but that's no bad thing. The setting is fantastic, I can't wait to rummage through it.
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    It would have been SS 3, but I don't think EA thought it was a viable franchise.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    There's a long and turgid history between EA and Irrational over that very issue, but I'm glad Irrational found a way to produce a 'spiritual successor'.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    And I'm willing to bet this game won't have a rocket launcher or shotgun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you take a look at the second screenshot on the IGN page, you'll see what appears to be a shotgun. And if you take a look at the third screenshot, you'll notice what is apparently a makeshift paint-can launcher... true, it may not technically be a rocket launcher, but I think we're splitting hairs if we make that distinction.

Not that I have a problem with any of that. I think people are reading too much into the guy's comment about breaking cliches. It was just one of those bullshit things people say before a presentation.

I don't think I've ever played any of the system shock games, but this game looks pretty cool. I really like the visual style myself (don't agree that it's too colorful or comic'ish). I think it has great atmosphere, and something about the style 'feels' like the 1940s to me. I don't know what it is... the colors and hues look like an old color movie from the era, maybe. Can't put my finger on it, but the visuals really seem to fit the setting of the game.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    the art deco styling is really a great choice, i think the art direction is fantastic... the gameplay they showed isnt as deep as the guy describes, but that's just an observation from the little gameplay they demonstrated ...

i will be honest that i never got the chance to play system shock games extensively but i will be looking out for this game
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i could have properly sat through that video if they didn't have a simpsons character narrating it. Thank god for quicktime's timeline slider
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The all of screen shots released of this game always left me wonder what Bioshock was about, and this video filled in all those blanks. It looks cool, and could be a lot of fun. My only worry was that it could get boring when he said open ended fps right before he walked in the bathroom. Nevertheless, I'll probably check this one out.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    Normal mapped abstract expressionism! WHEEE!

screenie
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    The characters look like plastic, the corpses look like fallen over manequins.

Other stuffs i dig.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I was already looking forward to this, but moreso now. Having played System Shock 2, I'm sure this will be even better smile.gif

I also think 'Mr. Bubbles' was cool.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    It's very very pretty, and since SS2 is my favorite game ever I'm really looking forward to it, but I have to say it seems like it may not be as well thought out as SS2; I mean, if Adam is the 'currency' of this world, and the Little Sisters are what harvest the Adam, and the Adam comes from dead bodies...well, where did it come from before everyone died? How did this place get started?

Frank the Avenger
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe they "exported" adam, like take bums and shits underwater, take their adams and feed the corpse to sharks.
    Then for some reason the supply stopped and they turned on each other.

edit: the story might by similar to the movie where they make the most popular food out of corpses, *something* green, cant remember.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I love the splicer doing back flips. And the water dripping. Now I can feel like I'm in the movie bladerunner smile.gif

awesome.. cant wait.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    And I'm willing to bet this game won't have a rocket launcher or shotgun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you take a look at the second screenshot on the IGN page, you'll see what appears to be a shotgun. And if you take a look at the third screenshot, you'll notice what is apparently a makeshift paint-can launcher... true, it may not technically be a rocket launcher, but I think we're splitting hairs if we make that distinction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes yes - very true. However, they might not be your typical guns. Very moddable and interchangable etc. Anyway, cool!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    edit: the story might by similar to the movie where they make the most popular food out of corpses, *something* green, cant remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

Soylent Green
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    no scripted events but sometimes the scripted fight will come into that record store where you have that other scripted fight.

the guy was contradicting himself, would have been better with some music and no talking. Wanna break the mold? why not make the guy tired from holding his gun right next to his eyeball for the entire game. That gun looks fairly heavy.

those splicer lady clones are very badly animated. Same goes with the little girl clones. big daddy thingies were cool.

well thats the bad things. Water looks nice.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    the art looks awesome...I agree with the other comments that there's nothing really revolutionary in the AI or open endedness or the RPG elements... its basically system shock 2 under water... but, that said, it's about time someone updated SS's awesome gameplay. I've been following this game for some time now..and am looking forward to playing it.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Looks neat. Somewhat like System Shock 2.

Anyone else think that guy sounds like Woody Allens deeper voiced brother?
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Didn't I read a year ago that this game was going to be in a totally different setting? I remember it taking place in old WW2 experimental labs. Not that the change in setting is bad. I just wonder how far along they are considering the change in setting and enemies.

The AI features didn't sound all that special, the fights were pretty straight forward, it just looks like you'll be able to switch who is on your side a lot based on your special abilities.
  • Squid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squid polycounter lvl 18
    The lift musak (same tune as the shawshank redemption used if i'm not mistaken) was a nice touch and definately placed the game in the 1930's for me. It'd be cool to think that these kinds of subtleties are littered thoughout the game.

The trailer definately gives the same feeling i got when watching Thief2/SS2 for the first time.

of course, the cynic in me is just dying to post "whoopee doo, they implemented FFT's in hlsl" wink.gif

If any fps game sells the xbox to us old gits it'll be this one.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Looks gorgeous... gameplay doesn't look all that great to me though.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    no scripted events but sometimes the scripted fight will come into that record store where you have that other scripted fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's how you define scripted, it sounds like the big daddy, little sister, and two splicers are always in that area (it could be just for the demonstration, he did say everything kind of wanders around doing it's own thing)

The fight between the big daddy and the splicer wasn't scripted, he tagged the big daddy with that aggressor irritator but he could of easily walked up and blasted the splicer away, same for the second one.

On that note, it did end on a scripted sequence of the windows closing and the splicers appearing on the ceiling.

Maybe he should of said less scripted sequences but there's no marketing buzz to that!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think 'triggered a trap' scripted is ok as far as I'm concerned, its the 'this enemy goes there, then this happens, then that happens' kind of scripted that sucks

edit: actually when I think about it, as long as some kind of explosion happens at the end I'm fine with pretty much any scripted
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    actually when I think about it, as long as some kind of explosion happens at the end I'm fine with pretty much any scripted

[/ QUOTE ]

The Michael Bay school of game design! laugh.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Looks gorgeous... gameplay doesn't look all that great to me though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good summary. The Art direction looks strong, and the engine impressive. I like the soft shadows. But this certainly doesn't seem to break any moulds from where I'm sat. I think I'd get bored pretty quickly.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108980&page=2

"only one splicer in 1 green dress = first splicer we got in the game. welcome to the joys of getting the demo done for e3!"

"Not only will be there a whole pile of different splicers, they will all be able to use any splicer power, and there will be numerous varities of each, utilizing different skins, attachments, hats, masks, voices, etc."

"Little sister only has a few lines because we only had time for half a recording session before e3.

Real game will have dynamic fire lighting, spreading, and extinguishing.

HUD is placeholder and first pass (it's actually already been completely replaced for the next demo)

Yeah, we'll tune things like weapons bob. Sheesh, the demo was a year from ship!

There will be some form of frob hilight."
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I think I'll give Irrational a little benefit of the doubt, it seems hard to really showcase the openended environment with fully dynamic events in a 15 minute trailer...
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The one thing that I didn't like about it was the movement. The speed of the movement was pretty damn slow, unless the speed booster has some sort of time lapse, it wasn't very fast either. Hate it when an FPS makes me feel like I'm truding through sludge.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I thought the game looked awesome, it definately managed to capture atmosphere. I was skeptical on whether I'd like Bioshock for a long time since a lot of the screenies look like ass, the only thing I thought "wow" about was the abstract statue. Luckily though this vid has certainly dispelled me of such skepticism.

The thing that truely brought the vid down for me was the damn narrator, I despise geeks poorly attempting dynamic voice acting, it ruined the Dark Messiah vid and it has this one in my opinion.
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, hearing the creator discussing his creation is the most interesting thing in world to me.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The one thing that I didn't like about it was the movement. The speed of the movement was pretty damn slow, unless the speed booster has some sort of time lapse, it wasn't very fast either. Hate it when an FPS makes me feel like I'm truding through sludge.

[/ QUOTE ]

The movement seemed fine to me. What, when you play an FPS you expect your character to run like an Olympic sprinter? laugh.gif I can understand feeling that it's too slow for a multiplayer game, since the game dynamic is different, but for a singleplayer campaign I think any faster would be a bit unrealistic and ruin the atmosphere.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My little story prediction:

The whole community is built on adam but the source is kept secret, but the cover gets blown and everyone stands before the moral choice wether its ok to harvest from dead or not.
    The ones who choose that its wrong refuse the power that come from it and get wipen out by the power-hungry ones who abuse the powers to the point where they stop being human.

The city was built after WW2, millions of dead and tons of adam to harvest so maybe the supply ran out and they started to collect from within the community and got caught.

The player might be either some guardian whos been dormant for decades or perhaps someone escaped the city and asked for help.

Ofcourse good stories are not as straightforward and i hope i am completly wrong laugh.gif
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i liked it more than i was expecting, ew i loved the water effects more than i should, i just wet myself
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.fileplanet.com/167921/160000/fileinfo/BioShock-GC-Demo-Footage-%5BHi-Res%5D

link to a hi-res version for those who aren't subbed to ign.. usual ridiculous fileplanet waiting times.

As for the narrating, I didn't mean I don't want developer commentary, far from it, I too love it and encourage it, just not an idiot puttin on silly serious voices, it's cheesey as hell.
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    I think the video was ok, I mean the graphics was neat ofcourse, but the guy narrating, man..was he pretentious or what..
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I dont think creators should be narrarating videos for a trailer... Because most of the time they just dont have the proper verbal/communication skill to make things really compelling for the audience..
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I dont think creators should be narrarating videos for a trailer... Because most of the time they just dont have the proper verbal/communication skill to make things really compelling for the audience..

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was more a demonstration than a trailer.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    The environment looks very intriguing and I think it will be very entertaining to explore it all. Like a Myst game or something.

I do hope they improve the human character art though. The big daddy looked awesome. The little sister looked okay, however everyone else looked like, said before, mannequins.

I hope there are more enemies that are like the big daddy and little sister. That they won't bother you too much as long as you don't bother them. Just because I like that idea that not every thing in this city has that "I'm gonna fucking kill you" mentality, and their whole purpose for being there is to stop you from getting from point a to point b.

Anybody else catch the comment about getting your junk enlarged? God knows what sort of advantage that will bring in the game.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it can be used as a flotation device, obviously.

I loved Mr. Bubbles, I thought the little sister was good too, but agree about the splicers. They actually reminded me a bit of the zombie women things in SS2, hopefully they'll be brought up to the standard of big daddy.

I hope they don't dumb the game down from SS2, I hate when games dumb down sequels/successors like that.