Home Technical Talk

creating seprate UV

Krisonrik
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Krisonrik polycounter lvl 17
I am trying to texture map a new model that I created recently (I am using Maya). I always see other artiest can texture map head and body seperatedly. So I wonder how was that done? Because when I created a UV set, the head and body would be connected. Even assigning different shader to head faces and body faces, the united UV will still create trouble when I connect shader with a texture map. Anyone mind give me some tips on that?

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Just select the faces you want for a material and assign it.

As for UVs, they'll appaer to overlap each other in the UV editor. You can hide the ones you don't want to look at or you can seperate the model in the the pieces the different materials will be on while you work, and reattach the final.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I usually separate the two objects and combine them after I assign the final textures to it. Tends to be easier for selection as well.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    You could try referring to some of the answers you got when you asked this question before? :

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php...true#Post129001
  • Krisonrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krisonrik polycounter lvl 17
    I know I asked them before, but after I got your help on assigning different shaders on 1 mesh, I got side tracked and didn't test everything out. Later I find that even with different shader asigned, the UV is will still stuck together. Doesn't that make the head and body UV overlaping each other? I haven't been very active on the forum lately, got a low playing job as a graphic designer. Got to feed myself. But still trying to improve myself hoping one day become a 3D pro. Daz I haven't seen you in forum for a while . It's nice to see my mentor back laugh.gif