Home General Discussion

Problems with old games on new computer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
Been in the mood to play some older games, specifically BF 1942 and Vice City, but I'm having some problems getting them to work.

BF 1942 starts up fine then about a little bit into the game it completely freezes up. Tried upgrading sound drivers, I think my vid card drivers are the most recent ones, but it's still not working. I used to have this problem on my old comp, not sure what got it working.

Tried installing Vice City last night, was getting CRC errors when it was installing the files for the radio off the play cd. I have it installed on my old comp so I tried just copying the files over. That worked, but it's like the games in fast forward, everything's moving very quickly. Tried deleting everything and installing without the radio and it still is moving quickly.

Two great games and neither are working, any ideas what the problems are?

Replies

• notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Did you update your chipset drivers? I find that's the most overlooked driver set that adds the most stability.
  • Mark Dygert
    About the CRC error, that happens all the time when particular copy protection software is used. When I did tech support for atari we ran into that problem all the time. It mostly happened to people with Lite-on DVD-RW drives from HP or Dell. In most of the cases the drives where using the default windows firmware and updating it fixed the error IF the customer was smart enough to follow direction, which in most cases they where not. When that happens we just had them, copy and paste everything on the disc to a folder on your HD and try installing from there. If there are more than one CD just overwrite anything is asks you about. Make sure to take the disc out of the drive in case launching setup tries to start off the CD.

With BF1942, do you have an ATI card?
  • Soccerman18
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't tried updating any chipset drivers, will look into that tonight.

I tried installing using both of my dvd drives, both got the CRC error. One's a Samsung DVD-R, the other's a Plextor DVD-RW. No ATI, Nvidia geforce 7800 gtx 256mb.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    i used to get that freezing/locking issue that you're getting in BF from time to time.. I'm not sure if it's related to your problemm, but for me some games...
    weren't happy with dual core/dual proccessor machines..by running the game and then ctrl+alt+deleteing to bring up the task manager, I was able to right click on the running process and "set affinity" to only a single CPU. The game would run fine after that, but I had to do it each time I started up the game.

its worth a shot at any rate...?
  • Soccerman18
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried the set affinity on Vice City, seems to be working. Thanks. Haven't tried it on BF yet, hopefully that'll fix it too.