Home General Discussion

In-game TF2 footage

Replies

• Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Spoon, the Heavy's gun was one of the original "noob cannons". It was a great class to start with if you were new to the game. You could be sloppy, not be a twitch god, and still get some kills and play an important role for your team.

It is a useful but limited class in that if you were in the right place, you could get lots of kills and pin the enemy team down. Heavies were easily countered by snipers, pyros, engineers (gun turrets) and good soldiers could usually do pretty well against them too. Heavies also had a hard time dealing with scouts as the scouts can often run faster than heavies can track them with their gun. This is illustrated on the demo, actually.

But remember, the goal of TF was not to kill the enemy, it was to control territory and capture flags. Since the heavy is so slow, he' not much help in this regard. He was definitely a useful support class in controlling territory and providing cover.

For every class that is overpowered in one way, such as the volume of lead that a heavy can shoot, there is another severe limitations. Heavies move at about 3 miles an hour. Scouts probably run at 25, but are killed easily. Snipers can kill with one shot, but are highly flammable and can't guard their backs well. Demo can set enough charges to kill a dozen players at a time, but is unable to defend against players that have range, or can jump well.

So the extremes are balanced by severe shortcomings. Each class can be countered by at least two others fairly easily. It's all about teamwork and class balance.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    awesome awesome awesome awesome!!!!

this is what I will be spending my lunch break playing.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I want.
    I need.
    I'm thinking i'll get hl2 for the 360 now, seriously. And I know that i'll have live when it comes out...we'll have live so long as my dad has the outfit and texas hold 'em to play.