Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ROSS SYLIBUS from Armitage III

spider2cool
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
From the movie Amitage III that "I Robot" stole all there ideas from is the character Ross Sylibus the detecteve who is partners with Naomi Armitage is finally made. I working with some friends of mine at Jade Phoenix Studios on getting Ross, Armitage herself, and the twins into ut2k4. here is Ross C&C always welcome. also here is a link to the armitage model if you are interested.

finross1wy4.th.jpg

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=76256&an=0&page=0#76256

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    its way to flat. Yes you are coming from a cartoon source, however when going to a 3d medium you either need to A: paint in the toon shading, more than what you have. or B: use a cell shaded material

Since you are going to UT2k4 the cellshading is Extremely limited, and often doesnt look that good anyway. What you need to do is really tighten up the skins. Paint in a ton of detailing that is missing from the model, vs the anime source, sharpen the cloth shadows on the blue guy, as right now they look like stains (at best).
    Both models need highlights and deep shadows in addition to their midshadow and median color.

The cloth folds on the pants guy are better than on the blue dude, however they are still somewhat out of place and very arbitrary looking.
    Also not sure who the modeler is, but you might want to send the geo back to them and have them try and match the referance more. Right now both models are rather generic and well.. boring, though they are based on quite dynamic characters.
    Neither model's texture it really true to its referance either.

Sorry if I come off as harsh, but you really need to go back and at least push the textures to a new level. One technique.. or mindset, I find works well for anime style models in the UT2k4 engine is to go for a half real, painted style. Rather than go purely cell shade, go somewhere between cell and the realistic style of the ut2k4 default.
    actually here http://www.jodinewton.com/vailias/Ut2004.html#kid Some of the skins on that page are rather effective anime translations for ut2k4.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    call me kooky but I robot, was an Isaac Asimov story written almost 50 years ago..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov's_Robot_Series
  • Kyraal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyraal polycounter lvl 17
    The movie "I, Robot" might as well have stolen everything from "Armitage III" for all I know and care, as it has nothing to do with Asimov's story, aside from the name.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    well apart from that and the three rules of robotics, and wasnt will smith in the book laugh.gif
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm...well you learn something new everyday. i do think that however that Will Smith's caracter definatly closely resembles ross. Here is what i used to make the face.
    facesun6.jpg

I have been having some issues with the jacket myself. i think i will keep the skin tones though because i like the style of some shading on the skin but it helps keep it anime-ish to me.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh better referance.

Ok what I was trying to say before is the overall proportion. Noticew where you ahve put his shoulders versus where they are in his jacket on the orthos you've just posted. His face is right on, his body is not even close. YOu bring the whole character to match the concepts and it will look that much better.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    concerning the I, Robot movie with Will Smith. from my understanding StudioA had the rights to Asimov's books. StudioB wanted said rights but couldnt get them so made a screenplay derived from Asimov's works. StudioA lost the rights and StudioB picked up the rights and tacked I, Robot on as the title of their screenplay and tossed in the 3 Rules.

maybe you should try modeling in a more natural pose. every character i see in the 'daVinci pose' always looks so stiff and lifeless.

and yeah, from those new refs you posted, his neck is too short and the shoulders of the model do not line up with the reference.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you know i really should have put some thought into what i was saying before i said it. i was mostly thinking about Will Smiths caracter compared to Ross when i was thinking of I Robot. i was not even thinking about the rest of the movie like the stupid laws. lol. so sorry for putting my foot in my mouth. there is another movie that came out recently that also seems to mirror armitage in a way....something about humans getting rid of androyds and this kick ass chick androyd fights back. bla bla....A.D.D. stoped caring. anyway here is an update...i worked on the neck and sholders, and recolored the jacket. Hey with C&C don't be afraid to say what you like about it too...not that i can not take a verbal beating, just say'n =
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    call me kooky but I robot, was an Isaac Asimov story written almost 50 years ago..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov's_Robot_Series

[/ QUOTE ]

kooky. :]
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its looking better certainly.
    A few remaining crits: The waist/belt either needs to come up, or the legs and bottom of the coat need to come down, also his pants need more body, more baggy. smile.gif
    You might want to add some thin black lines to the harder creases to increase the anime look to the skin.
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    Ok and 1st I apologize for resurecting the dead. But we -finally- recovered this model and are re-rigging and animating which should be ready quite soon. Both models are being worked on this.