Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bald!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Marine polycounter lvl 18
turnposed_small.jpg
flats.jpg

5710 tris, which in retrospect, i could have shaved loads off from, most of it went in to the poly heavy metal bits

normal map is 2048x1024, rest of the maps are 1024x512. normal maps that high because i tried it at that res, and didn't want to twiddle my thumbs while waiting for it to render out a new smaller map.

hands aren't rigged, and i forgot to rig the buttons blush.gif

wips and crap in this folder

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Looks pretty good, but is really plain, it would definitely benefit from some subtle cloth texture, maybe it has something, but those shots are so far back I can't see.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    yeah has that plastic effect but its hard not to. the model could have improvement on th hands.

the base texture is killing it, add some details, even if the slightest.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like the head was based off everyone's favourite Scarlett... but the profile view is way off and looks manly. Too much jaw.
    Legs and arms look very stiff, also either the arms are too short or the crotch is too low, either way your proportions are off. Also the wrists are far too thin, as are the fingers.
    Texture is really basic... kinda bland and boring.
    In fact the whole thing is seriously underdesigned, the costume is not interesting and the techy parts are not functional.
    You should utilise the normal map more effectively, get some more cloth folds in there, you have next to none there now.

In general I guess it's fine for a normal map test, that aspect seemed to turn out well enough, but as a character it'd be hard to come up with something more boring.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    is that a composite job, because max render to texture can't render out non square textures?

I think she just needs some more curves in her body and some more pronounced wrinkles in her clothing
    you seem to have got to grips with the techniques quite well, but just a bit of a rethink of certain design elements is needed
  • GLandolina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GLandolina polycounter lvl 17
    Ruz: non square textures are fine as long as they are power of two so 512x256 is perfectly acceptable
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the replies
    there *is* texture detail, but it rapidly disappeared at 1024x512 (worked at 2048x1024, resized down on export), and is non-existant in the texture pic. did add more and tweaked the proportions as mop pointed out, they were off a fair bit.
    the costume is insultingly bland, the sketch i did was even simpler than this turned out.
    the arms in particular would have benefitted from some folds and wrinkles. but because of the way i built them, they had an interior too, i had loads of clipping issues with them, so they got bumped back to shapeless cylinders.
    hands are my bane frown.gif

ruz, i used maya to render the textures. cheated and mapped to two squares instead of the one maya uses by default, then scaled it down and bumped the size up when rendering.

tweaked.jpg
    calves seemed too long when i pulled the crotch up, so that got shortened too, left me with lots of compressed texture though :/

onto the next one, and more planning before hand
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    GLandolina - I meant max render to texture can't render out non square textures.