• zenarion
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Loveable :>
    Great enviroments.
  • noritsune
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    anybody else getting abnormally slow load times?

looks nice overall, but a couple suggestions, some big some small.

- in the sewer scene, I would definitely write an "inspired by [whatever game that was]" and consider showing the "concept art", as it were.

- in the door project, since you didn't take anyone's advice to pack your UVs more effeciently, I would definitely NOT show the texture flats. In general I personally find texture flats boring unless they are truly things of beauty. character flats are a bit more interesting.

- the lighting setup on the Fridays storefront is making it needlessly flat and ugly. I think that a blueish ambient with a slightly yellow-orange sun at a lowish angle, potentially casting shadows halfway up the facade from unseen buildings, would go a long way. see paintover.
    Also, consider here showing the concept photo.

- lastly, if you are going to add another piece, I think it should be a true Environment of you own creation, not a prop/building/extra. I think it should utilize a combination of tiling world textures and uniquely textured elements, be of your own design, and use normal maps and dramatic lighting.

good luck!
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, runs slow for me also. Seems like the frontpage images are a big large (filesize-wise), but it could be me. 47KB for each thumbnail seems large IMO. But it still seemed slow even for that size. I'm guessing it's hosted on a home PC. If that's the case, then no big deal... we do what we can to get by wink.gif You should definitely add some compression to your scenes though... or make them links or additional thumbnails (on a new page). Multiple 800x600 images at 200K - 400K is a bit much for one page.

As for your pieces though, they look pretty good, but I agree with the comments noritsune made.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    nice stuff overall, simple and only good pieces. now for the crit. I think if your trying to sell yourself as an environment artist that character should be the last icon on yoiur list. though its a good character and shows you can do organic shapes as well so thats a good thing. another one is the door witht he normal map seems to me like the textures are way too big for what you have going on there. and lastly you should texture the car that thing is cool and would be 10 times cooler with a good ass texture in it.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Texture the car. Final pieces are very important in a portfolio.

The character seems too obviously xcloud tutorial. While good practice, anyone that knows the tutor can spot it, and it looks bad being claimed in your portfolio (especially without credit). Also, you’re selling yourself as an environment artist anyway.

Great start here, but I’d drop the character, finish the car, and add at least two or three more final environment pieces.
  • Zergxes
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
  • EarthQuake
    I would add a point light to the render with the car or something, only GI renders never look good.
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, I spotted the xcloud tut as well.
  • Serp
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Got a job smile.gif I've been working at Frontier for a few days now in Cambridge on The Outsider. It's an exciting game and the working environment is very good.
  • steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    awesome, congrats Serp! Nice portfolio too smile.gif