Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP second creature

Jelmer
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
Hey all,

Started working on my second demo reel character. A more humanoid creature this time. It's an octosapien, half human half octopus. Still working on the geometry, want to have this creature done and colored in a month. Let me know what you think.

Update: Painting the textures

torso_color2.jpg

octo_geodone.jpg

octo_geodon_head.jpg

octo_geodone_wire.jpg

Concept drawing:

octo_full_D2.jpg

Older versions:
http://student.vfs.com/~3d58jelmer/Octosapien/octo_color1.jpg
http://student.vfs.com/~3d58jelmer/Octosapien/octo2.jpg
http://student.vfs.com/~3d58jelmer/Octosapien/octo2_wire.jpg
http://student.vfs.com/~3d58jelmer/Octosapien/octosapien_bind.jpg

http://student.vfs.com/~3d58jelmer/Octosapien/octosapien_bind_wire.jpg

Replies

• Junerahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junerahe polycounter lvl 17
    Groooooooooooooooossss!! But great modelling man, Im guessing you're at VFS... That school must have amazing teachers..
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    awww sexy... I'd make out with it but... you know... internet.

and now to the useful (hopefully) part of the reply: the crit. The shoulders look pushed out a bit too far, further than the anatomy/pose should allow. Seems like maybe the pecs should wrap around the sides a bit more before giving way to the non-muscle rib cage "cavity". Like there should be more muscle between the shoulder/arm pit and the chest. Just seems a little stretched, not wrong really, just not fitting well with the rest of the post/anatomy. Maybe I'm the only one that sees it but eh, maybe it'll help.

Either way, great start.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    He's undeniably cool, and the modelling is executed wonderfully, but something about his design bugs me. He just doesn't seem to make sense anotomically. This critter swims in the ocean, or crawls along beaches?

I'd really like to see you push the evolution of the species a bit further than the centaur-esqe he's got going now. The hands and head are good, but the rest needs that extra bit to make the character believable. Perhaps make his arm joints a bit more ambiguous, implying the shift from a tentacle to an arm.

I think you've missed some great opurtunities to have fun with his anatomy; going from a body with a very complex skeletal structure to a body without one of any kind.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badass but something that bugs me is how much time you're spending actually modeling out with just meshwork that you could save by just doing a lot of your details in zbrush. Unless you're planing to animate this or something. Still it just seems excessive to me.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool. It's like a male Ursula. Just a few suggestions:
    bosk.jpg

Try and get more of the weight in his got to sit lower. I recently did something similar for work and most of the artists noted that having the bulk of the weight spread out evenly gives it a more pregnant look.

The other thing I noticed was the shape of the arms. There's actually a good amount of structure there that gives the arms a lot of shape. I noticed the same thing with the fingers... they're all very straight. Play around with the shapes of the bones and knuckles to make the fingers more interesting. I didn't spend as much time rendering the hands, but there's a lot of cool muscle, bone, vein-y shit that goes on on the surface there.

The bicep is a little strange looking. I get the impression that you're trying to make it look skinny... but I think it ends up looking like it's being pinched instead.

The hand position, in relation to the way the arms are rotated, feels awkward. The arms are rotated in, but his hands are completely flat from the front. Technically that's possible, yeah. But see what happens if you rotate his hands inward to flow along better with the arms.

You could also, if you'd like, try and add more of the stringy muscle-y bits around the neck and maybe integrate the lats more into his ribs by adding the musculature that's sandwiched between the rib bones and lat muscle. Intercostal muscles, I think it's called.

Overall it's pretty cool. I like the arch you have in the back and how the spine is very curved.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the concept a lot as I told you on msn jelmer, the execution is really good but man, this poly density just freaks me out...you could have better control with a lighter mesh, and then apply a zbrushed displacement to it but well, still looks cool, you're just a mad dutch guy after all tongue.gif

I second SouL's comment, very good points here

keep it up mate smile.gif a month for everything is shorty!!!
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    fucking ace. though i kinda think the thumb should be longer. I doubt he would be able to use it fully if not opposable, or able to touch the index finger proper.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome stuff J. I'm with Sectaurs though in that I have a tough time visualising him actually moving about, swimming, whatever it is he does to get from A to B. Does his torso stick out above the water or what? Im not buying the head and body as belonging to a creature that spends all of its time underwater.
    But in its own right I absolutely love that head man. So nice.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn! Great points everybody!

Junerahe: yes vfs it is. But to be honest, I learn more from students around me then the teachers. Exceptions are there ofcourse.

Sectaurs / Daz, there will be more elements aplied to his body that will make him look more like an ocean creature. I'll be adding big fins on the back of his arms, and gills on his chest that follow the ribs. thanks

Soul: Thanks for taking the time for me buddy. I'll try to apply as much of your points as I can. I agree with most of what you said. The muscles laying on top o fthe ribcage, I think you mean the seratus anterior? That's the only thing I'm not sure of to add right now. He's a skinny guy, and I think it will get really crowded there once the gills are in place.

Vahl / EQ: I haven't learned yet how to make a proper sculpt in ZBrush. We don't get tought in it here at school either, bummer. I'm sure it would save me some time. But I've chosen for this method to show aswell that I can build a proper topology. The heavy mesh adds a lot to the fleshy feeling I think. I'm a big fan of that with anything organic I model. It makes it feel so much less plasticy when there's some subtle varity in the mesh.

About what I said about the big fin / gills on the chest, here's a paintover Hurricane did:

http://student.vfs.com/~3d58jelmer/Octosapien/boskma_play.jpg
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I already saw this guy, and he still looks awesome. When are you going to start texturing and lighting all your crazy subd madness?
  • adasdj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adasdj polycounter lvl 17
    Thats quite amazing, it kind looks like voldemort from Harry Potter, Keep it up.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, updated my first post with new pics. smile.gif
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Beautiful. That's all I can say.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    really rad looking!
  • obson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obson polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome modeling Jelmer, I just assumed it was from zbrush when I first saw it. Lots of character too.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the geometry, unwrap and pose. Starting the bumpmap tommorow.

octo_geodone.jpg

octo_geodon_head.jpg

octo_geodone_wire.jpg
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Hey jelmer are you going to show the unsmoothed cage? I can feel the education rubbing off on me just by looking at this model.
    No crits, spectacular model. The fact that you have yet to apply bumps makes me want to weep.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff Jelmer. I've said it before but I'll say it again. *totally* digging that face. Looks great overall.
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    awesome thats all there is to say.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snowfly, that my friend is the unsmoothed cage wink.gif
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    That beauty shot communicates a lot of motion, nice job.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I still think it needs gills at the end of his rib cage. I got to know if you gave it a belly button then did you give it reproductive organs or at least an asshole? Being as you wont have a beak inside the all the tenticals you need to give it a huge asshole/birthing hole.

BTW if it is already there show me some squidman ass love!
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    I love the extra touch on the end of each tentacle. It's of a much higher quality than your previous model in my opinion, both technically as design wise.

One thing on the pose, consider mirroring the position the arms are in. The position of his right arm doesn't really make much sense, if he's turning around - which it looks like it does - that arm opposites the direction to which it is moving. The left arm however, could be in a position the right one is in as it would serve for slowing down the left side of his body (which is basically what happens relatively to the right side on a turn in that direction) as well as a pivital point. Other than that I also think it'd look better. smile.gif

Awesome work Jelmer!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    thats flipping brilliant

i think hed eat dolphins for breakfast and ride sperm whales for fun
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I am in love....with your style.

I, honestly, don't like his thumbs, but that's just a personal preference.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    skullbox, i think that arm is supposed to be forward in an overhand stroke, presumably which he uses in addition to his tentacles to swim.

the fingers on the ends of his octo-arms really ties it together. great work.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Dang, I don't remember seeing this the first time it was even posted. Grrr...

Looks super cool, JB!
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap, that is one freaky concept, ace modeling and killer design.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, here's an update. Been working on the bumpmap today.

octo_bump_pass1.jpg

zbrush_wip_2.jpg
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    This is serious stuff you got there. Just amazing.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Here's a small update. Some more facial detail Touched up Zbrush render.
    zbrush_wip_6.jpg
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    Very Nice Jelmer...No Crits
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    The finer details on this guy are looking fantastic, but wouldn’t there be a sharper fold where the interior of the nostril tapers out at the top of the nose there?
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the bump on the torso, working on the color now.
    Painted the head today in ZBrush and build a skin shader in XSI. Here are the first renders (and my first post as a 20 year old, /cry getting old):
    octo_color1.jpg
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    lookin ultra sharp man. great stuff.

"first post as a twenty yr old. cry/getting old"

give me a break dude. hahahahahahahahaha.

happy birthday!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    these coloured ones are looking really cool, Jelmer. I like how it's all turning out. Maybe you should try getting more colour into the specular.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    very impressive, keep it up! smile.gif
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome work so far j.

Would love to see the render tree and your sss settings for this sucker;)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    man thats chucking brilliant, pure evil, wouldnt want to meet him down at the reef
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    nice....juicy spec too. could we possibly get a glimps of the maps?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I can't stop staring at his moist bellybutton.

I'd like to see his body more of the pale color that his head is... really makes you think he spends his time in the lightless depths.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the response, feedback and ideas guys. I'm calling this done for now. Here's the final still imagery I've rendered out last night. C&C still very much welcome, I hope you like the result. thanks again!

Octo_bw_final.jpg

Octo_head_final.jpg

Octo_color_final.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This is really great stuff Jelmer!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Good stuff! I'd say if you want to sell the "underwater" illusion, you might want to include some of the more typical, if cliche', lighting cues.

Caustic lighting from above, more of a bluish hue, and some visibility falloff/depth-cues. Particulate matter & bubbles in the water might help as well. Some sunlight rays coming in from the surface, etc. The model seems great. The texture I feel could use some work.

The membrane between the tentacles seems to be bare more as a result of laziness or being incomplete rather than intentional design. The cranium is also a little sparse design-wise. Its low frequency forms suggest you're emulating the sac-like head of an Octopus, but the high frequency forms & colors are very bland and sorta contradict that.
    Octopus.jpg

Anyway, great work! I had to dig a little to give even those crits.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    too much purple around the eyes, i think
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Jelmer, he turned out great. I would have liked to have seen his background represent the ocean a little more, but otherwise I like him a lot.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    turned out very nice, yes, but i agree that the background and the renders in general are not showing the character as best they could - IMHO he looked better earlier on, the blurry backgrounds and desaturated stuff isn't helping here.
    i think it'd definitely be worth spending a little more time on coming up with a really nice environment and lighting setup that accurately depicts an underwater environment (closer to the surface obviously so more light penetrates)... at the moment it just looks a bit out of place and the 3rd render looks weird with the ends of the tentacles/legs appearing to fade in, in the background - doesn't make much sense to me.

What was your reasoning behind the greyscale render?
  • Makk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makk polycounter lvl 18
    That looks fantatic Jelmer.
    I do agree that the background doesnt give off enough of underwater feel to it.
    Any chance of seeing some of the texture maps?