Home General Discussion

Front Page

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno, it should be possible to compare checksums on the stock models and allow forcemodels only on stock models while still having client-side playermodels allowed (i.e. only the cvar is shared with others), that way you could substitute only custom models with cheat models and you'd have to do it for every model out there.

Daz: Customization is a priority if a game is basically an engine demo like Unreal Tournament or Doom 3. It makes the engine look easy to use.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I dunno, it should be possible to compare checksums on the stock models and allow forcemodels only on stock models while still having client-side playermodels allowed (i.e. only the cvar is shared with others), that way you could substitute only custom models with cheat models and you'd have to do it for every model out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea... make a game that does it like that then tongue.gif

But it is also the fact that only very few games these days provide (a setting and) gameplay where custom models make sense. BF2 with santaclaus? Not really going to happen frown.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    hi kids, just thought i'd like to claim my rightful amount of punishment, since i was the one who was doing the graphic design. i know, i'm not a professional graphic or website designer, but the current state of the site IS unfinished.

in case you're curious, here was my mockup that vito was working off of, so direct all your boos and hisses this way smile.gif

http://www.gausswerks.com/img/mockup5.jpg

hopefully it's obvious that it's far from finished, even in that mockup. one of the major issues i have yet to tackle is that, as you can see from the mockup, i designed it with a smaller banner ad in mind. but we're using that "leader" humongous one, so i need to rework the header area.

but the principle is to streamline the front page as a transparent front end to our forums, which is the beating heart of this site and has been for a long time, and also to point to the other things (like hopefully a big ol' model archive, references, tutorials, etc). so there will be more pictures, more links, etc. etc., but the site will not be as clunky and link-ridden as the old one. i'll probably bounce some ideas off and work with hawken on this one, because he is, in fact, a professional when it comes to this stuff.

most of you haven't really visited the front page for years, so you can keep on ignoring it until we've got all the squeaky wheels greased. or the wheels attached in the first place, and then greased. laugh.gif don't worry.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Back when r13 and Vito were first talking about repainting Polycount I knew that it didn't matter _what_ you put up there, some people would bitch about it. Just the nature of Polycount and what makes it great compared to other art forums - people always bitching, critiquing, and the perpetual state of dissatisfaction that inspires improvement wink.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    .Daz: Customization is a priority if a game is basically an engine demo like Unreal Tournament or Doom 3. It makes the engine look easy to use.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually completely disagree with that statement. Games players are not the customers that engine developers need to prove ease of use and toolset to. Other developers are.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    also just because you can plug in a PPM doesnt mean the engine is easy to use, it just means they released those exporters :P any engine i've encoutered while working hasnt been any more difficult to get a character or model in than one that has PPM support for the community. And Daz is pretty much right, it's hard enough to get the game out the door let along make it so people can mod the crap out of it.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    And sometimes you don't want people to mod it wink.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i hope to see hawken's mockup and your other constructive input in the new discussion thread for the redesign!

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=116456&an=0&page=0#116456
This discussion has been closed.