Need some help and feedback

Gaz
Gaz
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Gaz polycounter lvl 17
Hello all.

I'm new here, and I need your advice smile.gif
I'm coming to the end of my Uni course and after I will be looking for work in the industry.

Here is a model I have recently made for my final year project.

Rabbit_1.jpg
Rabbit_2.jpg
Rabbit_3.jpg
Rabbit_4.jpg

I showed it to the mapcore forums, and they said she was "freaky". Well that doesn't help me much, but I want to make her more appealing.

Please can you give me some tips and advice, Thanks for your time!

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    very cool... reminds me of the cadbury's caramel bunny =]
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    You need to bring her shoulders in a touch - she's a bit 'Male' up there. Also the hips and butt cheeks could do with being more smoothed, perhaps blending into the thighs a little more. She's also presently got a bit of a mad stare, the last image is better - look at the cadbury's caramel bunny:

http://www.visit4info.com/details.cfm?adid=24569

and jessica from Roger Rabbit:

http://images.google.com/images?q=jessic...es&ct=title

..not suggesting you 'copy' from these, but they definitely nailed the 'appeal' side of things.

Nice work though - your texture map is nice and tight - good use of space (though the fur could do with some brushwork).

[EDIT] While I was writing, Almighty Gir made the Cadbury's reference!!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Might be just me, but it seems like it's very high polycount for the detail in it. Might be just me I suppose, I'm no expert, but it looks to me like it's got wasted polys.

Other than that looks very nice. Good luck. smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    her mouth is kinda huge

its an ok model, but theres no "ZING!" to it at all, nothing that defines her as a character.

There are a few areas where you could tighten up the polycount, but if thats not important (certainly doesn't appear to part of your course) then I'd say it's not worth it right now. You main focus should be on making something special from her.

As a suggestion, how about several sets of textures? different fur or bruce lee jump suit of whatever, anything to mask the blandness of flat brown fur. The cloting you have chosen is neither sexy or very well placed, it kinda gets warped from the deformation thus making it look drawn on.

Can't really agree with the Jessica Rabbit link above because she's only called "Rabbit", not an actual rabbit!!
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    My first impression when I look at the mesh topology is that it looks really sloppy. There are edge loops in her behind that just stop, and there are several clusters of polygons - like in her face, and cleavage - that could be rearanged to make a more pleasing meshflow. Even if you have a high polygon limit like 6k+ you should account for the placement of all your polygons. If a polygon doesnt add to the silhouette or deformation, then put it somewhere that it does.
    Also it seems the detail on your maps could be easily squeased into an 512x512... again I am looking at the character in terms of functionality...I am about to put miss brown bunny in my game engine..how do I account for the use of these maps, polygons..etc.
    As an excersice I would go back and recreate miss bunny with a 2k 512x limit...and see if you can produce the same results...just my 2 cents...
  • Gaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaz polycounter lvl 17
    I just updated her smile.gif

I'll probably leave her like that now. I quite happy how she turned out, I also too about 200 polys off her as well smile.gif

See above for new images, you may have to refresh them.

Her mouth is much smaller, as well as her nose, and she looks much more dainty smile.gif
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Cool style, nice project. With that polycount maybe market this as a cinematic character?
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Fun character, I enjoy it even if a bit furry. =)

Don't care at all about meshflow or quads or similar rubbish. You are just wasting a lot of polis in general on this model. She should be able to be 3k or so with the silhouette you have.

Textures are veryh basic and shouldnt require a 1k map. 512 should suffice. Even if its not for any particular game etc you should be a bit more aware of your usage of the maps. *blink blink* back to work for me.