Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demo Reel Piece - 1930's Street Scene (WIP)

Vdo
Vdo
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Vdo polycounter lvl 17
Hey All

I'm currently in my last semester at the Arts Institute of Burnaby. This piece is created for my demo reel, as you can see its near completion. Alot of the texture needs to be touch up especially the cement texture,any critique on it would be very helpful. Thanks.

[img]http:////i51.photobucket.com/albums/f377/astrofusion/untextured.jpg[/img]
streetwide.jpg
streetside.jpg
front.jpg
apartmentside.jpg

Replies

• Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    The textures don't seem to 'sit' with the geometry very well. There should be vertical streaks of grime under those window sills, and around the bottom of the building's walls, where they meet the floor. All the stores have the same style 'Deal' posters in? Could you try a high res 'floor' map, and add dirt, cracked flags, different floor treatments to that, or are you on a set limit?
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    I'd suggest a new, alpha'd texture created for any of those larger signs you have, like the 'general store' one. Seperating it from the actual background texture will allow it to read better at a higher resolution without having to increase the resolution of the entire wall.

Those fruit stands could also use a kick board along the bottom to help break up it's flatness.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Cool. Scale of certain things seem out. Is it me, or is the height of that curb there about equal to that of a small child? Framework of stuff seems too thick. Doorframes etc. The barrels aren't really barrel shaped. They need that bulge in the middle. I'd take a closer look at some ref. Keep at it.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Most of the textures are a bit too saturated as well as the scale issue Daz mentioned. That red awning and barrel things would glow when it's on a tv screen. You really need to watch the saturation of colors, especially red. The idea is pretty cool though. Although maybe 4 buildings is a bit much. I'd personally rather see 1 building really pimped out. Some clotheslines, wires, and stuff going from building to building always looks good. Most buildings have roof access also. I would add that in. The road needs a different texture than the sidewalk. Maybe cobblestone or something. The sidewalk could use a more refined texture as well. Overall, it has a lot of potential. Keep pushing it.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i agree with the others, it should look old and worn. I'd bring down the saturation of the windows texture because at the moment it looks odd against the color bricks.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Instead of 'fish market' or 'fruit market' maybe mix it up with a last name, like "Kauffman's" or "Duchamp's".

You might find it helpful to construct a simple "dummy human" to drag around your scene to check relative scales, like a general eye level for ad placement or a comfortable height for doorknobs.

Your scene looks a lot like my old college town. That's about the size, too.