• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats pretty hot you dirty canadian
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good. Very believable. Needs cack, though. Seriously.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good! My only crit now is that the lower legs look reaaaally too thin. a bit more bulk at the top and bottom of the lower leg would really help, I think.
    Keep it up smile.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    the crease on the upper leg looks a bit too harsh right now...

also, bunghole? wink.gif
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    Oi, great crits as usual. Here's the 'final' Gonna start unwrapping this fellow tommorow:
    - Shortened legs
    - Thickened up the legs
    - Moved knees a bit
    - Squashed feet height
    - gave some parts a fleshier feeling.
    - Made the for and lower arms a bit longer

Aesir: That crease is a bit sharp atm indeed. It will be a lot softer once the bumpmap is aplied and breaking up the light) smile.gif
    fullbody_chick1b.jpg

fullbody_chick2b.jpg

Working on a lighting setup as well, here's an early preview:
    http://student.vfs.com/~3d58jelmer/Chicken/galina_in_room.jpg
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Jelmer, that is looking really nice! This is xsi right? Is this a sub d model or is this a smoothed model?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah that's looking great mate. I agree with aesir about the crease in the upper thigh seeming a bit too deep. And make sure his feet are actually touching the floor. He reads as hovering right now. Definitely looking good though.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yep looking neato mate smile.gif
    are you gonna give him some feathers or something ?
    keep it up ^^
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I'll move a few things around tommorow. The unwrapping went faster then I thought. Got it done in 1.5 day. I got it down into 4 maps:
    - Fleshy parts (4000x4000 px)
    - Boney parts (2000x2000 px)
    - Slimey parts (1000x1000 px)
    - Eyeballs (512x512 px)

Here's the result:
    chicken_mapped.jpg

chicken_maps.jpg
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Why do you give head more texture space than the body?
    First its a hi-res model and secondly its not human. It only makes it look rushed if you let texture density vary that much.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thing is that I'm planning to give the eye area a bit more attention then the rest of the body. There's a lot of stuff going on there, so that's why I chose to make the head a bit bigger smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Any reason why the beak has so much more texture space than everything else? I would have thought that was one of the less detailed areas...

Anyway, interesting work so far, I look forward to seeing how it turns out smile.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yep, interesting looking forward to it mate smile.gif
    although...
    LOADS OF WASTED UV SPACE !!!
    j/k my friend, though something :
    instead of having uvcuts like this ( thinking about the leg mostly), why don't you use different uv projections and use some kind of layered texture ( speaking in maya terms but I know xsi can do it, just don't have the terms for it:P) to hide them ?
    I used this for my school projects back in the days and it was perfectly working ( and on the top of that we were using procedural textures so that was making the seams even less obvious)
  • obson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obson polycounter lvl 17
    Don't know why I didn't see this earlier. Nice model, look forward to seeing it textured.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    You haven't been reading The World of Kong (Weta concept art book)? This would fit right in on Skull Island.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a big Peter Jackson,Weta, King Kong fan. I Do have that book snowfly and I love it, together with the art of world of warcraft my favorite 2 art books at the moment.
    I've been working on the bumpmap today. Here's an early preview (still lot's to add in the face, haven't touched the upper beak and mouth insides yet. But wanted to show I'm not slacking off. smile.gif C&C welcome!
    http://jelmer.keurigonline.nl/bump_test1.jpg
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    I'll post here instead of Talk today.

Nice work as most have said. It feels allot like Steven Chens stuff (meant as a compliment) - very Weta-ish/hyper-real.
    Did you UV that by hand or pelt map it? Very little distortion.

As for the bump, I was expecting less of a scaly texture but what do I know. smile.gif What level of divisions/polys is that at though? Some high freq detail in that.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think he's just handpainting a greyscale bumpmap so it's not adding any polys, Super.

I'd also take an educated guess at saying he's using pelt/relaxed mapping since you'd have to be insane to map that all by hand tongue.gif

It's looking nice so far Jelmer, although I think some of the wrinkles seem to be heading in weird/unexpected directions. I'm sure you know what you're doing though, keep it up smile.gif
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    yeah looks peltmapped by the way the faces have been pulled out

very nice work, can't wait to see it textured smile.gif
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually we used UV Layout here. It's kinda like peltmapping. An awesome program. You just indicate where you want to have your cuts, you drop your mesh on the uv template, and relax everything. Color codes tell you if the polys are either to big or small compared to the actual model. It's an extremely powerful package, and mop is right that unwrapping this all by hand would be quite a hassle.
    Thanks for the kind words Super. Steven is an awesome dude, and a very open and helpful person as well. He pushed me a lot both with my concept and modeling. The scaly texture is the first pass to make it look and feel a bit more organic and fleshy. I'll add the avial folds today smile.gif
    Oh I'm creating the bumpmap in Zbrush btw, using the projection master.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I figured you were doing the bump is Zbrush, hence my question on subdivision level - must be high to get that amount of small detail. I must be using it incorrectly as I can never get high enough.

I like how you've documented each step and progress, really cool organic process. Hopefully there'll be a new update by morning smile.gif

*edit* I was thinking displacements. I'm a buffoon. Ignore.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh, make sure you don't have deformation / normalize checked on. Just colors checked, is alright, when you go into projection master. It just depends on the texture size that you've created, how much detail you can get into your bumpmap. I'm using a 4086 x 4086 pixel map. Been working a bit more today. Got some XSI hair on him and did some more bumpmapping. Beak is still looking to rock-like. Will need to work on that.
    http://student.vfs.com/~3d58jelmer/Chicken/hair_bump_almostthere.jpg
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    for the beak. think chipped soap or fingernails. once you add transparancy it'll look better. but beaks are not as smooth as you'd think, they have fiber channels like fingernails, at least like mine : /..
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Looking great Jelmer, very cool. I feel like the curve of the eyelid where it meets the eyeball is a bit wobbly. It's often surprising how perfect some forms in nature are, and looking at some birds eyes, I feel like the eye contour would probably be much more perfect than that, know what I mean? The wobbliness in your line almost looks like lack of modeling finesse. Like it was unintentional. If the curves were smoother, they would also enhance the effect of the the eyelids being stretched and hugging the near perfect surface of the eyeball If that makes sense?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2005/68764-In-a-birds-eye.jpg

*edit* (you need to copy, paste the link for some reason)

Just a minor suggestion. Looking great overall.
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Dragon Drop works too.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Daz, good call. The eyes were referenced of reptiles more then birds, I tried the round eyelid thing pretty early and later again, didn't work out too well, since the shape is rather boring. At one point I also had an upper eyelid/ crowfeet thing going on. That was removed though, since it looked stupid. Awesome reference for me though, damn. Here's an update on the bumpmap. I still have to decide wether or not to give this creature some color. Enjoy, C&C welcome!

EDIT: update below
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well, just to be clear, I didn't actualy mean make the eyeball more round at all. I just meant make the actual curves that make up the shape smoother and less wobbly. But anyway, kind of a moot point 'cos this is looking fantastic!
    The other miniscule crit that I meant to bring up before was that the upper beak is possibly coming to too sharp a point perhaps? Looks like it could break very very easily. Just needs some rounding off/bluntening maybe. But yeah, this is looking really good.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    wow, thats pretty amazing work.

now mount a midget to his back ona saddle and release a Quake 4 PPM!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Turned out nice, Jelmer! Good work smile.gif
    I say you should definitely colour it. After getting this far it deserves the final finishing touch.
  • ThE_BirD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThE_BirD polycounter lvl 18
    very cool! Nice subtle use of hair too...agreed with MoP, color it up!!
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Wow this came a long way since i first saw it! I'm no bird expert, but i think the beak could use some slight detailing, like it aint a smooth surface?

I say have a go at color.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point Daz and Psyk0.Made some changes to the beak.I think I won't be able to make it look better with color, because of my lack of confidence to work with shaders and render trees. Need to work on that. Might do a color map after my second model, for now, I call it done. Thanks to all of you for your positive feedback and thoughtfull comments. c & c still welcome ofcourse, thanks!
    chicken_final.jpg

head_final.jpg

chicken_final_wire.jpg