Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Elino

yeluis
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
yeluis polycounter lvl 17
well just keeping myself busy, started this new piece, not a whole environment gonna keep it on one piece this time. I drew this a few months ago. I lost the drawing. It will probably show up years from now and I'll be like huh so THERE it was. hehe. Anyway heres what i got I restarted it and redesigned quite a bit but the style is the same. I was originally planning on mixing it with metalic stuff but Ill see how i can incorporate it. might just not do that. first picture is a rough blockout and then sterte working by sections im around 3000 tris right now.
elino1.jpg
elino2.jpg

Replies

• Steakhouse
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    You're off to a good start Yeluis.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man, I blocked out the windows everywhere and began to texture the bottom floor ones. right now its just a blockouth texture, need to work on it.
    elino3.jpg
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The concept is cool, and what you have modeled/textured here so far is a great start.

Consider bulking up the lower bricks and supports to help carry the weight of the upper story. Your original concept has a good brick size for this.

Look forward to me bitching and moaning at you further to add tons of props and other adornments to reflect the culture and character of the environment. :P
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Look forward to me bitching and moaning at you further to add tons of props and other adornments to reflect the culture and character of the environment. :P

[/ QUOTE ]

ooo.gif ok, lets get it started then cholden tongue.gif heres a quicker update, a little old. Ive done a bit more to it now. anyway here it is
    elino4wire.jpg
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    well progress has ben a bit slow the past few days but here it is. thnaks to a comment by toddiej I changed a little bit from prior update i think it looks better now. anywho here it is.
    elino5.jpg
  • Vitor
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great wink.gif Very cool modeling style wink.gif
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks im struggling now with trying to work in metal with the structure, not as a main construction material more of a patching material or reinforncment. that was the original idea. the top of the roof are pipes. gonna see how i can get some more of that stuff all around without messing it up
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    I ve been playing aaround with some textures for the second floor and metal stuff, nothing concrete yet i will habe the update with more textures on the next post. but heres what i got at the moment.

elino6.jpg
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    looks good - really interesting to see the progression too. Interesting that you'd largely finished the bottom half before developing the rest - it's a good technique to help keep the style nailed throughout. Nice one!
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    very tidy polycount, keep up the goodness
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i think im just about done with the modeling on this except for a few details like tha winodw frames on the second floor and some other little things. I messed around more with the texturing today. I think the textures are starting to come together, still need to work more on the roof and stone sections. the eco for this will be started soon. I want to finish the main structure first befor doing the plants.
    elino7.jpg
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I like how it's looking! However with all that geometric detail on the house, can't you at least use enough polys to make the wheel actually round? Octagonal wheels never really caught on smile.gif
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    This is a really fun thread, getting to watch this come together.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah mop, i think i went too low on that wheel. well anyway starting to add some more detail on the surrounding, adding a few props and eco to this. hope you like!
    elino8_1.jpg
    elino8_2.jpg
  • Zergxes
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    That house has a lot of character! Awesome.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    Since you're going with so much polygon detail, I have some suggestions to enhance that look.

Modeled out roof tiles. A simple wonky box with your same material could work. Model them slightly larger than they'd normally appear so they won't be too poly intensive. This isn't really out of the question because first gen ps2 games has villages with modeled in roof tiles.

Building out your transition to ground. Have it slope out gradually with small details such as rocks, building stone sticking out of the building, falling off pieces of the house (stone, wood, stucco, roof tiles, etc). As well as what comes up from the ground, such as dirt clods, mud trim around the house, and grass growing up around edges tall where peopled don't normally walk.
    yushus.jpg

Cultural Aspects a.k.a. What do these people do? For example, are they hunters, do they have a farm do they live near a lake and fish? The means of how the residents make their daily life should be scattered all around the side of the house and in various places in the lawn.

Vegetation: grass, plant, etc add lots of it, because it brings a scene to life and can increase believability.

Anyway, keep it up, there's a ton of things you can add!
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    thought you werent around anymor cholden wink.gif you got a little ahead of me right now, all the things you mention is exactly wwhat im working on. getting the trees right is kinda slowing me down. havent done a whole lot of eco before. With the tiles i modeled out a section to generate a normal map, do you recomend i just use that piece and lay it around? and use the normal just to give it the carvings inside? or just model out sections to give "depth" to the roof? to answer the cultural thing. this town is more of a hunters town which went through a huge change towards mining this building is more intended as a small inn where travelers could stop to rest while going through the town. population in here isnt big. its a everybody knows you kind of place. Thanks for your comments and as always i will keep them in mind while still adding stuff here. anoter question i have is if anybody knows a good way to make a plane transtion between 2 or more textures so that i dont use material ids to avoid the hard edges that the polygons would give me. thanks a lot.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    well i changed my avatar pic. and also made my tree, im just wondering what you think would look better the regular one or the twiste one. im personally going for the regular one.
    tree.jpg
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so im going on forward with the twisted ones. here they are.
    tree2.jpg
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Those trees look great IMO. How are you handling the branches? Solid main with some alphas?
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    the branches are a 3 sided cilnder, with the leafs as planes with alphas. everything leaf branch and trunk are 1 256 map
  • Steakhouse
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good man, it's coming together really solidly.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    does anybody know why when i apply a normal map and try to view it in directx display it goes into wireframe and it shows it red, it renders fine but i cant see it on the viewport, ive had this problem before but i have no idea what cuases it.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    i guess it was the lights causing the red wireframe. anyway im on the final curve of this little baby. here it is so far.

trender1.jpg
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice smile.gif

I'd recommend blending the path with the grass to make it seem more natural, make a transition texture or use a Mix map.

Stuff like flowers, plants and long grass especially round the base of the trees would make this look really natural and awesome.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Great little scene... Me like
  • Steakhouse
    Offline / Send Message
    I would suggest widening the trunks of the trees at the base some to help give the impression of roots extending outward. Of course if you do that you might as well lump up the ground around the bases as well to further the illusion of spreading roots.

Otherwise this is probably your best effort to date Yeluis. The cobbled together feel of the place really gives it character, and the coloring and lighting tones give an air of oppression, though not in a creepy way. It just feels like the people who live here have a hard life. It's really damn well done.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the its a wrap! here are 4 samples. I really apretiate all you guys comments.
    elino_1.jpg
    elino_2.jpg
    elino_3.jpg
    elino_4.jpg
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I love it! Really nice work, good modelling, texturing and lighting.

The one crit I have (and it's a really minor one) is that the path doesn't make much sense - it goes round the house yet doesn't go up to any doors, and then just tapers off to nothing at each end. A path like that is usually worn by the way people walk around the property, so really the path should be most obvious coming out of the doors, then leading off past the fence.

Like I say that's just a minor nitpick though, I really like this piece smile.gif
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    really turned out well, great job!
  • ewooz
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    That's a solid set you got there! Impressive stuff! Good job you kept at it all the way and didn't compromise.
  • Mark Dygert
    that is a damn fine piece of work!
  • kleinluka
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    man yeah the final result is top notch! smile.gif great work.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you very much guys for the comments. I have rendered out a turnaround and will post that as soon as I compress it. I have also baked everything and will show the realtime version soon as well. Lets hope this piece gets me a job wink.gif
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    well as promised here they are, the videos are compressed a lot so it will stream fast so you might see some pixelation in some parts. on the baked i only baked the structure and floor. on the rendered one i have included rgb, normal/spec, shaded and wire passes.
    Rendered

Baked
  • Zcubed
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    This is awesome! The shape of the house is very nice, and the textures really push it to the next level.
  • Striff
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Woo hoo great work Yeluis! I really don't have any crits!

One question tho, as I am new to lighting, what type of light set up did you use to render it? I like the light selection you used, as it showed off your spec and normal very well =)

Ide love to see some of the texture flats as well if ya got the time.

Great work.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot again to everyone. Striff i am using default max lights in scanline. here are the specs, house is 7811 tris, tree is 1648 tris and dead tree is 486 tris.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    here are an example of the textures striff.

example.jpg
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at your normal materials, I noticed that you woodgrain has an inverted green channel. This makes the cracks in the grain appear to stick out instead of being sunken in depth of the cracks. You can invert you green channel to fix this. I imagine you used the nvidia plugin for photoshop to generate the normals. Invert Y check box will make it generate the correct normal. With that in mind, go over all your materials, test them with some dynamic lights to see if your other normals are inverted.