Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    SO SAY WE ALL!
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    In Season 2, you kind of find out their motive for the war, though I think it's a little weak.

I'm kind of liking Season 1 better, though. I actually like how wishy washy Gaius is, especially considering how powerful a position he's in. He was also a good bit of comic relief, in between all the "humanity has one last chance to survive" melodrama. Also, I think the S1 finale was quite possibly some of the finest television ever produced - all these little plot lines going on to distract you, and then POW! right in the kisser. smile.gif
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Anyone want to explain to me how a fighter pilot (Starbuck) was put in charge of mounting a rescue mission rather than one of the marines? At least her fucking up seemed appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because she's TOUGH! And a CHICK!! How do you like THAT?!? That's EDGY!! That's how I read it (yes, I saw this episode). The fucking up was just a way to keep the character angsty and give her a reason for an emotional apology and reconciliation between them later. Especially since they seem to be trying REALLY HARD to get fangirls to want Starbuck and Apollo to get together. ANGST!!

[ QUOTE ]
    And Lee's near-death experiences every other episode are just a bit much; he's been asphyxiated in deep space, strangled with a garrotte and shot in the chest in just the last five shows. Sheesh.

[/ QUOTE ]

All he is is potential drama. His sole purpose on the show is to be an emotional connection to other characters (Starbuck, Adama), so whenever he's in danger there is MORE DRAMA. He isn't even a character, he's just this dude that foreshadows a reaction shot from another character. Hell, he caused DRAMA for five seperate characters in that episode, and besides that all he did was do something that would bring Starbuck in; after he did his chick-stealing (DRAMA for Billy and whatshername) showing Tigh's wife is a hootchie (DRAMA for her and future DRAMA for Tigh I bet), and mucking with the O2 sensor (to bring Starbuck in) his part was done. His callsign should be 'plot device.'

Dana Delaney is still hot (olde tyme China Beach fan here smile.gif ).

Frank the Avenger
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Frank, your forgetting, She was also inadvertenly responsible for Apollos brothers death. So she was having much more angst than normal to what she did.

Again, quiet frankly she was the leading officer on Cloud 9 at the time, and they needed immediate action. Yes, it was a plot device, but its not like they had many choices.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Tone, if you want to 'look' into Hamilton, i'd start with Pandora's Star
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345479...5Fencoding=UTF8
    the second part just came out too (Judas unchained)

If you want to go hardcore i'd go for the Night's Dawn trilogy, best SciFi i ever read. It's huge, 3 books with 1000+ pages.
    I think you can only order the newer prints which were broken down into 6 books. Starts with
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446605...5Fencoding=UTF8

I kinda like Gaius, he can be truely annoying, but i love the situations where he's talking to his Brain-Cylon and tries to deal with the real world at the same time. Only funny thing the series has, and he plays the whishy washy role good.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Again, quiet frankly she was the leading officer on Cloud 9 at the time, and they needed immediate action. Yes, it was a plot device, but its not like they had many choices.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured that was the reasoning as well, but it just doesn't make sense. If I need to plan a small arms hostage rescue mission to liberate my son, I go with the marine sergeant who does that for a living rather than the air force captain who has more decorations on her uniform but no squad-based combat experience. Rank is no substitute for training, and putting Starbuck in that position was just silly. I don't mind 'plot devices' in general, but I do when they're that transparent and angsty :/
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Frank, your forgetting, She was also inadvertenly responsible for Apollos brothers death. So she was having much more angst than normal to what she did.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You're right, I did forget that. I knew it, too. SO MUCH ANGST! laugh.gif

Frank the Avenger
  • tone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tone polycounter lvl 18
    SF: right, thanks for mentioning it

ep 2-12 set the standard for the series for me.