Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• inkDrop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just made this nature themed dagger, let me know what you guys think:
    naturedagger.png
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the texturing just not the shape. paintover:
    jq5p4HB.png
  • HiernauxNicolas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HiernauxNicolas polycounter lvl 10
    hello guys !
    This project was a challenge with a friend.
    The rule : whatever the object, it must count maximum 500 tris, and use a texture of 256px².

The car count 498 triangles but the wheels are separated pieces. I think on a car, wheels must can rotate! It's a choice.
    Therefore, tires have 12 sides outside and 6 sides inside to keep the polycount.

Mirrors are too separated pieces.

lambo_polycount.jpg
  • inkDrop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the texturing just not the shape. paintover:
    jq5p4HB.png

Yeah that does look good, I need to work on my modeling more,thanks for the paint over.
  • Saigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bill Lowe wrote: »
    Been playing with some faceted low poly ideas in Unity, haven't quite nailed the right mix of tonemapping, color correction and bloom, but getting some nice results.

Was that inspired by Tail Of The Sun? Cause it looks somewhat reminiscent of that game. Are you making a remake or something? Also, diggin the style, especially the solid clouds.
  • inkDrop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another:
    olwellpsd.png
  • Bill Lowe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotus wrote: »
    I like these a lot. Nice colors.

Thanks, hopefully I can work out a camera system that gives a good view of the landscape and sky.
    Saigo wrote: »
    Was that inspired by Tail Of The Sun? Cause it looks somewhat reminiscent of that game. Are you making a remake or something? Also, diggin the style, especially the solid clouds.

Haven't heard of the game, checking it out now, looks really odd... I like it. I'm heading towards a more tribe survival kind of gameplay, but I like some of the ideas it has. The swimming and jumping are crazy!
  • CaptInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CaptInfinity polycounter lvl 4
    Been lurking for a while now, and I gotta say there's awesome work all over this thread. Thought I should post something, so here's a couple.

First, I made this "tiger" last night while my class was introducing themselves.tiger_618tris_07_10_13_by_captinfinity-d6cww86.jpg
    He's 618 tris. Any tips on making him less like a house cat? And is this gonna suck if I try to rig it? Like I said, it was just something I threw together so be open and brutal.

Second there's this female base mesh.ruby_782tris_07_10_13_by_captinfinity-d6cwwqr.jpg
    She's 782 tris. Kind of trying to design female characters with different body types. Having some difficulty getting her to deform right with rigging and was wondering if there's any good reason not to use the muscle features in CAT with this kind of stuff. I might actually use her for a Unity project for class so any tips/guidance/critiques would be greatly appreciated.
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been lurking for a while now, and I gotta say there's awesome work all over this thread. Thought I should post something, so here's a couple.

First, I made this "tiger" last night while my class was introducing themselves.
    He's 618 tris. Any tips on making him less like a house cat? And is this gonna suck if I try to rig it? Like I said, it was just something I threw together so be open and brutal.

Second there's this female base mesh.
    She's 782 tris. Kind of trying to design female characters with different body types. Having some difficulty getting her to deform right with rigging and was wondering if there's any good reason not to use the muscle features in CAT with this kind of stuff. I might actually use her for a Unity project for class so any tips/guidance/critiques would be greatly appreciated.

Really like these, even though I think the tiger looks more like a stocky house cat. :P That could be "fixed" by making his stomach less pronounced and making the chest stick out more. Also, longer legs.

Your female character looks amazing. My only suggestion would be to widen the crush loop for her arms a little bit. So they have a little bit more room to move around. Though that'd just me. Be wary of that bent quad on the side of her breasts too (by arm pits). Just tri it out. That could deform very badly in engine.

Shouldn't be too hard to rig. Do it in Maya (if you have it available to you). CAT is 3DS Max is pretty easy to use. Remember this is low poly too.

Can't wait to see the texture. I'd actually love to try to unwrap it and texture it myself. Maybe SDK it?
  • arthurciappina
    Hi guys, I'm a brazilian developer and i working hard to be a better artist, thats my first humanoid character... I know its not perfect, but i want some feedbacks..

I was inspired by Varangian Knights

Sorry about my english haha THX :D

q6aXJ90.png

YJf8kla.png

pWdNsov.png
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    3Fcaj6w.jpg

Teaching myself low poly hand painted Diffuse only modeling. i have no idea what I am doing. Can't figure out how to get the flag pole looking decent.
  • Wackimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, I would like to post my first Low-ish-poly UV unwrapped model. This is an 832 triangle model, and I know it sucks, and I can't UV but this thread inspired me. The texture side of it sucks, but I am quite proud of the model. Here is Captain Oinkey!:poly122:
    1003466_490670157673711_745962199_n.jpg
    F:%5Canimation%5COinkey%20Present.png
  • Wackimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I'm a brazilian developer and i working hard to be a better artist, thats my first humanoid character... I know its not perfect, but i want some feedbacks..

I was inspired by Varangian Knights

That is awesome! It reminds me of Dragon's Lair.
  • CaptInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't wait to see the texture. I'd actually love to try to unwrap it and texture it myself. Maybe SDK it?

I'd like to SDK it. I think it'd be interesting to see what you do with it. I didn't have a strong concept coming in to it, so she's kinda just turned into a figure study. Which is lame.

Two questions though: First, what does SDK stand for? Second, how can I go about doing that?
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to SDK it. I think it'd be interesting to see what you do with it. I didn't have a strong concept coming in to it, so she's kinda just turned into a figure study. Which is lame.

Two questions though: First, what does SDK stand for? Second, how can I go about doing that?

Not sure what the acronym stands for, but basically it's a model that you make free for the general public to do things like experiment with unwrapping, texture paint, sculpt on, ect ect.

Here's the Master Thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70908

I think a lot of people would like to paint it. :)

Just host it on a place like Dropbox or your personal site. I'm sure someone in the thread could help you with that, if you're not confident in your ability to keep it online.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Hello, I would like to post my first Low-ish-poly UV unwrapped model. This is an 832 triangle model, and I know it sucks, and I can't UV but this thread inspired me. The texture side of it sucks, but I am quite proud of the model. Here is Captain Oinkey!:poly122:
    1003466_490670157673711_745962199_n.jpg
    F:%5Canimation%5COinkey%20Present.png

Huh? 11 textures? Also I bet that a 256 texture would looks the same.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    SDK = Software Development Kit.

Which is not entirely appropriate for just a 3D model but whatever. The idea is that you provide people with something they can use to build content with. In this case, you give a model and people can make skins.

Wackimation - I think for now you might be better off working on just the model, and then later tackle the texture. That way you can focus a bit better. The model itself isn't too bad, you still have a way ahead of course, but I've seen worse.

The biggest problem you have is that you have polygons where they don't do anything useful. For example the very slight ridge of the hat doesn't do much and you can delete those two edges. Or the polygons along the forehead, which don't really smooth things out much. Try to focus on the silhouette, on the overall shapes. I'm personally a fan of using a flat color on the entire character, to see where there are rough edges and where I need to tweak stuff. Like so:
    volvo440_driver001.png

Wonkey - you're probably gonna get the best result if you use a vertical gradient instead of horizontal. Just make 2 sided highlighted and 2 shaded, gives you a sense of light reflecting a bit. And then apply a bit of AO shading around the flat ropes and under the top spike. I'm assuming you're working with completely flat textures and no shading or shadowmap, btw. I would also paint in some shadows underneath the overhanging top of the tower and in any crevice, and some highlights on upward-facing surfaces like the top of the door and the merlons.

arthurciappina - I'd add some more sides on the shield, refine the hands and boots, and change the feather(?) on the cap to be 4 sided, and have a bit more thin/vertical crossection rather than square. Perhaps add a slight bit of definition to the face.
  • Wackimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura wrote: »
    Huh? 11 textures? Also I bet that a 256 texture would looks the same.

Yeah, I know it's bad, but I am inexperienced in UVs. :whyme:
  • Wackimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Wackimation - I think for now you might be better off working on just the model, and then later tackle the texture. That way you can focus a bit better. The model itself isn't too bad, you still have a way ahead of course, but I've seen worse.

The biggest problem you have is that you have polygons where they don't do anything useful. For example the very slight ridge of the hat doesn't do much and you can delete those two edges. Or the polygons along the forehead, which don't really smooth things out much. Try to focus on the silhouette, on the overall shapes. I'm personally a fan of using a flat color on the entire character, to see where there are rough edges and where I need to tweak stuff. Like so:
    volvo440_driver001.png

Thanks for the tips and advice! That was more of a sort of Bait model, and I was seeing what I should do for later models that I could use in a game. :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    That is awesome! It reminds me of Dragon's Lair.

Do you need help?

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70908&page=3
  • Thall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thall polycounter lvl 5
    vqSYBry.jpg

Hey guys, this is my first official post. :)

Made this tool box in Maya, Sculpted in Zbrush. Baked from 3.5mil tris onto the low poly mesh of 988 tris.

Love some feedback.

Cheers.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Snader wrote: »
    SDK = Software Development Kit.

Which is not entirely appropriate for just a 3D model but whatever. The idea is that you provide people with something they can use to build content with. In this case, you give a model and people can make skins.

Back in ye olde days of Polycount, SDK meant Skin Development Kit... although that was obviously a play on Software Development Kit. :poly108:
  • fflawpunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fflawpunk polycounter lvl 10
    This is my first complete character, done entirely in blender (hence the circle brush used everywhere in the texture). I didn't really model with optimization in mind, but she's 1k tris with a 512 texture. Crits, please!

Edit: here's a neutral pose on p3d.

[SKETCHFAB]aKctnppzzcOqRhYk68Hlt30MJhS[/SKETCHFAB]

EZn8NwO.png
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    fflawpunk: Looks like she deforms pretty well. If you post some wireframes we could critique the model. As for the texture, it looks good but very flat since you don't really have any ambient shading in the texture.
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 wrote: »
    fflawpunk: Looks like she deforms pretty well. If you post some wireframes we could critique the model.
    Sketchfab has a wirefram option on its page. Doesn't seem to load in the forum, but if you "view on sketchfab" it works.
  • CaptInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fflawpunk, sweet model! I love the personality. Would you mind showing us your texture?

Snader and DemonPrincess, Thanks for helping me clear up the acronym stuff. I really like to understand what I'm saying when I type stuff. Also, I've really enjoyed your work. Both of you.

Amtyk I'll try and set up a dropbox for that model and have it for you tonight.
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fflawpunk, sweet model! I love the personality. Would you mind showing us your texture?

Snader and DemonPrincess, Thanks for helping me clear up the acronym stuff. I really like to understand what I'm saying when I type stuff. Also, I've really enjoyed your work. Both of you.

Amtyk I'll try and set up a dropbox for that model and have it for you tonight.

Niiiice!
  • fflawpunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fflawpunk polycounter lvl 10
    darkmag07, once you see the wires the deformation doesn't look so hot haha. Added p3d link to my original post (I like their viewport settings, but opted to embed using Sketchfab for convenience). Ambient shading tip is right on the money. I'll have to break symmetry and take up more texture space to do that, right? I tried it briefly while painting but thought it looked odd -- too obviously mirrored.

captinfinity, thanks! I'm so happy she ended up with this energetic fun vibe. Since I worked without reference I didn't know what to expect. Texture added to my original post. The empty lower right corner was for a dreamcatcher-type pattern in the earring, which I didn't end up doing for some reason.

My own critique is that i think she needs more details on her body, cause it's out of balance with her busy hair.
  • CaptInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, fflawpunk, I just realized that you asked for a critique and all I gave you was a high five. In my experience, praise is more fun, but less useful. Let me try and do better.

I think in terms of optimization, there's some room to kill a few tris in the hair. IMO it's a little too much geometry for what a small difference it makes in the silhouette. And if you're not going to do the dream catcher thing in the ear rings then you should get rid of the geometry there. (Actually I don't see it in the sketchfab, only in the p3d so maybe you fixed that already.) I don't think the body needs more geometry. I think what you have is working well, the joints seem a little heavy but they deform nicely so I guess it's all good.

As for the texture, I feel I should ask first, is her shirt supposed to run up the side of her neck? Other than that, clean up her smile a bit? I mean, I'm really nit picking here.
  • CaptInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and, Thall, great texture work, and a nice presentation.
    Gotta ask though, 988 tris for a tool box? I know you can bring it down from there.
  • Mrpopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrpopo polycounter lvl 5
    Scrabble tiles! 34 tris each, 256 textures, might try and put four tiles into one 1024 texture sheet, although I'm not sure if that would benefit me... any thoughts?

UYSG4dA.jpg
  • okimoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okimoki polycounter lvl 7
    put 16 256 textures into one 1024, you will need two 1024 textures to cover all the tiles.. that way you will have 2 materials, 2 draw calls instead of 27 like you have now..
    Mrpopo wrote: »
    Scrabble tiles! 34 tris each, 256 textures, might try and put four tiles into one 1024 texture sheet, although I'm not sure if that would benefit me... any thoughts?
  • Mrpopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrpopo polycounter lvl 5
    Goodcall, right now I have 7x1024 textures with four tiles in each, my main concern would be losing detail if I cram them all into one 1024 though.

NOdIclJ.jpg8L4127W.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Put all of them in a 1024². Should be plenty.

You could use 6*6 squares of about 150² pixels. That gives you 32 squares, 26 for the letters, 6 variations for the back. 150 pixels means they that you can fit 10 of them side by side on a Retina iPad and have them come up perfectly. A scrabble board is 15x15 or something, so you've even got some excess pixels.

You could also use 7*7 squares, giving you 128 pixels wide squares, you'd have 49 tiles: 26 letters, 10 or so variations for the back, and a remaining dozen variations for common letters like E, T and A.

There is seriously no need to spend 256² on every tile.

Edit: You ninjaposted
    Here's a comparison of putting 2x2 in a 1024², or putting 8x8 in a 1024²:
    4xResolutionShrink.png
    The difference is noticable at this scale, but it would be negligible in any kind of game scenario. It's not like your brushwork is super detailed.
  • DanTsukasa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanTsukasa polycounter lvl 9
    A Kirby Mass Attack Tank I made in a few hours yesterday, not a complex model, but I think I managed to get the look correct, any crits welcome, tear it apart if you want.
    tumblr_mq6ij9i3yo1stw2xlo1_1280.jpg
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    7x1024

that'd give you 7 draw calls just for the tiles.
    13 left if you wanna dev for iPhone4 I guess ;)

guess you could change texture based on tile and keep the same material and maybe go around redundant draw calls that way though......

I'd recommend putting all the tiles on one or tops two textures and materials though.. then use the left over draw calls for bloom! :poly142:
  • Mrpopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrpopo polycounter lvl 5
    mmmm, bloom, sounds tasty. ;)
    thanks for the tips guys! Ive cut the textures down to 512's without much loss but unfortunately won't have time to put them all onto one sheet since they have to be done BY the end of today. Its going to be a web based game, so I'm hoping it will run fine.
  • Wackimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So yeah, the image speaks for itself. Enjoy:)!
    946276_494608303946563_1868275945_n.jpg
  • Mojojoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So yeah, the image speaks for itself. Enjoy:)!
    946276_494608303946563_1868275945_n.jpg

Nice!
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    I made some Zelda 1 stuff coincidentally the other day too (watching Game Grumps play through it).

Aquamentus (first boss)
    L3iuYfj.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    xrg wrote: »
    Aquamentus (first boss)
    L3iuYfj.jpg

Freaking awesome I love this!
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    Goodcall, right now I have 7x1024 textures with four tiles in each, my main concern would be losing detail if I cram them all into one 1024 though.

NOdIclJ.jpg8L4127W.jpg

how about using one 256 texture and use one of these distance field font rendering shaders
  • Wackimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg wrote: »
    I made some Zelda 1 stuff coincidentally the other day too (watching Game Grumps play through it).

Aquamentus (first boss)
    L3iuYfj.jpg

That is amazing, I was inspired to do sort of a LOZ polygonal remake thing from watching the new GG series. Awesome work on that Aquamentus. This boss cracked me up when I first played LOZ. What was the image resolution and the poly count on this guy?
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    A polygonal remake of the whole game would be pretty cool. Given the gameplay and art assets are on the minimal side it'd probably be a pretty manageable project.

That model is around ~1400 tris; texture is 1024 but I would scale it down a lot if it were for a real project.

He's actually just a test. I'm bug testing a Google Summer of Code project trying to get Blender's Paint tools to a decent state. Figured it would be pretty quick and easy to model and paint, yet still complex enough to give it a "real world scenario" test.
  • Mercury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my work in progress on Androbot, based on my avatar below :

av-27186.gif

androbot.png
  • Wackimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg- I would like to make the game in either BGE or C++, The only problem with Blender is MIP Mapping. Very good model anyhow. I am still struggling with character UVs myself. Good luck on GSoC!
  • Wackimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mercury- That bot is really cool! I love the style! Nice work!
  • Wackimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojojoz wrote: »
    Nice!

Thanks! It's good to hear that when you are relatively new to modeling.
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Hey all just finished this today

Dagger01_Final.jpg
  • Wackimation