Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shino, very beautiful and well done weapons...saving these for ref for sure
    Feel like ive seen these before? Specifically the dagger...are these original works of yours or from something?

Really dig your work

***edit

After more of a lookover, def need to fix the uvs on the axe for the handle straps, and also dont like how the mace and bow straps just "end"...its cool if they do end, but id suggest pulling the gold down or something to indicate the straps going behind something...after seeing it, its a pretty noticeable eye sore, especially on such quality pieces ;P
  • shinobik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobik polycounter lvl 12
    Beautiful weapons, shinobik! Are you making these for a game, or just for fun?
    Thanks, Princess. It is just for fun.
    [SF]Three9 wrote: »
    I think you could see this dagger.
    http://p3d.in/VkufQ/shadeless+spin
    I have made it first, and then decided to make the whole set.
    Regarding the criticism, could you rephrase? I have poor English, and do not understand what exactly you mean. :poly139:
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    8756336923_6c7a61b1a2_c.jpg

Latest in a series of World 2 fighters ive made,this time around the Spitfire :)
  • bloom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey wrote: »
    Love this thread! So much great stuff being posted; so much inspiration.

I made a low poly version of Madzia's squid boy concept tag. Loads of credit goes to her for the super fun concept.

squidboy_turnaround_zps4233e827.gif

madzia_squidboy_wip02_zps9375093e.png

This is a truly stunning and awesome piece !
    My only question is, how do you approach something like that ?
    Do you just start modeling and plan out any topology on the fly, plan tthe topology before modeling anything or do you draw your own sheets based on the concept ?

tldr: tutorial plz :p because i really love your style.
  • shaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaka polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, great page. Thank you for the inspirational art and skill dudes and dudettes.

SaferDan: great overall model and texturing. It has a cool feeling of a more complicated shader and i love the candy like look that it has.

duncan: what can i say that it hasn't been said. Great design and texturing. You have the heart of a designer and it shows, even in the amazing way you presented the finished model.

shinobik: You my friend are a master at rendering materials and textures. I pledge my allegiance to your religion when you'll start one. :)) I have so much to learn from those models.

Spacey: altough it's a reply from an older post, it's on this page, so i wanted to thank you for the bowl and water idea. I can't wait to have something to use that technique on. I'm also amazed at how close your model is to the 2D concept.
  • Gunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gunta polycounter lvl 10
    JO420: any chance you will make a junkers ju stuka? :)
  • shinobik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobik polycounter lvl 12
    shaka wrote: »
    shinobik: You my friend are a master at rendering materials and textures. I pledge my allegiance to your religion when you'll start one. :)) I have so much to learn from those models.
    Ho ho! I'm really pleased that I was able to impress to you! :poly136:
    Perhaps I'll think about my own religion.
  • Fragged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fragged polycounter lvl 9
    Recent lowpoly car model, next is some background for this car or maybe another vehicle.

sportscar-fragged2_zps929b9842.jpg
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    heres a character I've redesigned over and over, but never actually finished a model of,
    the concept of the character was always to be a retro platformer character, kind of ninja-ish in behaviour.
    anyway, here is the latest design sketch (though its worth noting I did not stick to this design entirely for the model.)
    reL843h.png
    and then the model and texture ofc
    416 Tri's for anyone curious.
    zuby5di.gifzddurQH.png
    though I'm happy with the model I really think I could get more out of the texture but I've never done all that much texture work.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey Bombshell, looks cool and really like the design :) I'm not a painting pro by any standards, but I would say the issue with the texture is there's no one area to rest the eye, it all kinda blends together too much. I guess if you had some more defined areas it would make the texture pop a bit more.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not sure I entirely understand your meaning but is this any improvement?
    gvsnWEh.gifOAGpGfH.png
    I tried to add more to it so the texture didn't look so bland, I also played with the lighting in areas and messed with the cotnrast to try and get some of the gradiant tones looking less worthless.
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell wrote: »
    Im not sure I entirely understand your meaning but is this any improvement?
    gvsnWEh.gifOAGpGfH.png
    I tried to add more to it so the texture didn't look so bland, I also played with the lighting in areas and messed with the cotnrast to try and get some of the gradiant tones looking less worthless.
    I'd say that's working much better, it gives the eye some details to travel along. I would say that the shorts and shoes could use a couple of details, just enough to move our eye around a little more.
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    Working more on this. Probably needs another day or two to get the textures to a really good spot.

969870_10201331840162236_1578157559_n.jpg
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2gLNsAT.gif0JmZYIK.png
    as well as fiddling with the texture I've also played with the model, one of my friends told me it creeped him out so my attention was immediately brought to the twig legs, along with that I also changed the shape of the arms a little bit to make it look less boring (this did include a new edge loop on the forearms.
  • Ra6ga5ka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ra6ga5ka polycounter lvl 9
    I realy love this thread.. so many cool stuff

@Bombshell
    try to get ur UV seams with the Pixels (90° steps) to get the pixel stairs away.
    or flip the boots UV the inside of the boots look right but on the outside u have these awful pixel stairs
  • shaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaka polycounter lvl 7
    darkmag07 wrote: »
    Working more on this. Probably needs another day or two to get the textures to a really good spot.

969870_10201331840162236_1578157559_n.jpg

Try either to have a good geometry flow if you're using lights on the model, or keeping with the poligon limit the preferred way would be to have a flat shaded model to get rid of all that funky dark triangulation that makes the model look dirty.

Don't go with a eyebrows that are lighter in color than the rest of the hair. Doesn't quite work in your case. Also, Vanellope worked as a design because the eyebrows played such an important part in her expression. If you fade those into her skin, you lose much of the richness that made that kind of character design work.

Accentuate the eyeliner so it carries the character of her face even from a distance. You could also try and bake/paint ambiental shadows under her head on the neck area, under her skirt on the legs, etc.

Paint the hair into the texture. First make a sketch on the model with the overall direction of the clumps and hairs, than go into detail when you're happy with the flow

You could use geospheres for the candy. I ran into exactly this problem while working on the environments for Wreck it Ralph, and the silhouette for the candy was cleaner and i had way less triangles using those.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Bombshell wrote: »
    heres a character I've redesigned over and over, but never actually finished a model of,
    the concept of the character was always to be a retro platformer character, kind of ninja-ish in behaviour.
    anyway, here is the latest design sketch (though its worth noting I did not stick to this design entirely for the model.)
    reL843h.png

Not a big fan of the model, but man, you got some attitude in those lines! Well done.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Gunta wrote: »
    JO420: any chance you will make a junkers ju stuka? :)

Yes off course,that would be a fun one to make. :)
  • Bnopnia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, made my first lowpoly model and I whant to present it to you. Sonic! Texture is 256X256 and model is 866 tris, whaiting for you comments render1jpg_5793707_8048559.jpgrender2jpg_5610615_8048541.jpgTexturejpg_6953763_8048586.jpg
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bnopnia wrote: »
    Hi guys, made my first lowpoly model and I whant to present it to you. Sonic! Texture is 256X256 and model is 866 tris, whaiting for you comments

You are using way too many polys on nothing at all. Absolutely NOTHING. You could give his face so much definition by just adding a few more tris (not even hitting double-digits). First, your eyes are concave, and you can use a messily four tris to make "sockets" for them. Then you can use the geometry you already have to make the nose and face.

sonicpaintover.jpg

Your basic proportions need work. I can understand you're going for stylized, but I think in trying to have more human forms the translation didn't workout. Note your character's body is almost four heads were as the concept is three. You hands are smaller than the 2/3 head size of the concept as well. I recommend you make a copy of your head as you're modeling for how tall you wish to model them; then go off that.

Remember to paint the lighting in too!! You character has no detail at all in his texture and you can get away with doing some crazy things with a Sonic character! Look into 3d painting programs as well, and backing Lighting and AO. On top of that, take the liberties with the detail on the articles of clothing on Sonic. He's got a few big points of interest on his person and you can go crazy with paint and tris there!

Stick with it and get back to us. ;>
  • Bnopnia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank for reply man, i will correct all the mistakes =)
  • oladitan
  • laperen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laperen polycounter lvl 11
    oladitan wrote: »

thats alot of waste, 200 faces probably means you have double the amount of tris. you might want to consider what is the purpose of the asset, is it an item, or just a prop, will a texture plane suffice if its role is minor enough, because right now the connectors take up far too much tris than the effect they provide.
  • Bnopnia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again, here is remodeled sonic, without the textures, need your comments. Model now is 732 tris. And sorry for the screenshots, dont know how to render model with wireframe on.
    Sonicscree_5953038_8055303.jpg
    Sonicscree_4649146_8055299.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @Bombshell,

the concept is awesome so i thought I'd post my crits, could be a good exercise for you.

1: The concept and model really don't match. You missed some of the strong features, then tried to fix the model by painting, but you painted features that were never on the concept.

The crossing lines on the chest , somewhat oriental became a zipper like a track suit.
    The crossing lines could be a few more polys that really beef up the shape, the zipper is pretty plain.

The belt was a great break in the silhoette in concept and adds a lot of character, but is no existent in the model, and the paint too for that matter.
    that also gives him old man pants as you kept the bottom line of the shirt the same but just added more height to the shorts.

The legs in the concept are thick/short. But the model they are long/skinny.

The crotch area seems to come right up to his shirt, weird deformation and generally looks odd.

You could probably add the neck color up around the bottom of the helmet so it adds some shape and actually a hole in the helmet, right now it looks like a ball on a stick.

arms are a bit long.

and I like the helmet on the far right concept, the shape around it gives it a lot of depth and character. the 'wings' are fine but alone don't add much imo.
    Sorry if it seems like a harsh scathing critique but the concept is so cool I think you should spend a few more tris and really make it pop.

IMO, put the concept as a background in 3d and really try to match it.No reason to make such a nice concept and spend so much time on that to just throw it out the window and rush the model.

And while I'm being OCD, STOP the spinning! Makes it so hard to see/critique/paintover.

Save the spin (and make it slow) for the finished model.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    @Bnopnia,

If it's not too late have you tried looking at Sonic's model in Sonic Adventure 2? Not something to copy (obviously) but it should serve as a nice reference for what a low poly Sonic should look like. Also, does your Sonic have a tail? It's kind of hard to see.
    bWFxaXL.jpg
  • Bnopnia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, made some corrections (longer arms, bigger feet, litelbit corrected the face)
    1jpg_1761395_8056549.jpg
    2jpg_8451021_8056556.jpg
    3jpg_5574652_8056559.jpg
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    -snip-

I'm giving it another go from scratch now, I noticed all of those problems too, I blame my trying to take the lazy way and for limiting myself so severely in tri count. In any case the current model has a much more effective silhouette and a form more fitting to texture.

I'm at 581 triangles atm with the hands, head and boots left to go.
    I'll be sticking with the wings style head, its how the character has always been designed I even have the first sprite sheet I ever made of him when he wore a mini jacket, had metal cuffs and some useless buckle on the boots (I've refined the design many times since which lead me to the current design which is much cleaner and easier to read)
    my point being the head has always been the same its essentially the iconic part of him, the other design was an attempt to redesign another character into the uniform.

EDIT: some time tomorrow I should have the model ready to rig at which point I'll post an update, see what I can improve of the form before I rig and UV it.
    EDITEDIT: also thanks for the crits, I'm not going to learn anything if I get treated like my works not so bad, so I'm always glad to get harsh criticisms, every little problem I'm aware of is a little hurdle I can attempt to pass.
  • oladitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oladitan polycounter lvl 8
    laperen wrote: »
    thats alot of waste, 200 faces probably means you have double the amount of tris. you might want to consider what is the purpose of the asset, is it an item, or just a prop, will a texture plane suffice if its role is minor enough, because right now the connectors take up far too much tris than the effect they provide.

thanks for the response laperen. This asset is an important part of the game, but you are right about the connectors.
  • melihucar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melihucar polycounter lvl 5
    A soldier model for my mobile game that i am working on. http://p3d.in/W3jvS
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I started again from scratch and althouhh I've not done the head or belt and I've not prepared the model for rigging yet, I am very happy with the shape of it,
    currently at 714 triangles here is the model with basic colour and overlayed wireframe (not turn tabling as reqeusted)
    t4VuWOv.pngSBSIlXX.png
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wip_update_5-23.png

Thanks for the feedback, Shaka. It's great to hear from someone that actually worked on the film. I'll definitely implement your suggestions. Here are a few of them that I worked on while on traveling: unlit shaders (yay!), eyebrows are the darker hair color instead of the highlight color, increased the opacity on the pre-existing baked lighting.

I was using Illustrator for sharp mouth/eye decals and basic coloring and then switching to photoshop for texture/tactile details. I just didn't get to the hair at that point point. I'll be getting to the rest this week.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To weigh in on the discussion: I think following what's possible on mobile is a bad idea, and this should be renamed the oldschool thread. Personally I'd like to see pixel art included, but the other thread's pretty cool so I guess that works!

I'd also nominate Demonprincess for mod, since I agree with her opinions on this thread, and Hawken isn't around much.

Even if the rules change though, I probably can't post anything recent. Just last week I subdivided (and then hand-tweaked, ofcourse) part of a mesh to help with the shading. No matter how old-school the textures are, I'm a lost cause!
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    To weigh in on the discussion: I think following what's possible on mobile is a bad idea, and this should be renamed the oldschool thread.

Im not entirely sure whats been discussed so consider this opinion based entirely on your comment, if I've missed something important then feel free to pass this off.

Anyway mobile devices can handle just as much as the oldschool consoles, and more with a certain degree of shader support allowing use of alternative textures such as glow maps or normal maps.
    So I'd think its preferable to have this thread as a mobile thread over an oldschool thread, the extra flexibility in tools could deliver a much wider range of models, textures and styles.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    The discussion started on page 417, where I made the suggestion of opening up the thread not just to lowpoly models, but also handpainted diffuse textures and pixel art.

Since then, a new sticky thread was created for pixel art, which I'm fine with. But, it would still be nice to be able to post oldschool character textures in this thread in cases where you didn't make the model yourself. This would include stuff like textures on SDK models, as well as custom character "skins" for games.

Basically, the suggestion wasn't to make the thread more limited, instead it was meant to make it more inclusive. :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Darkmag - miles better man, bit more tonal variation in the ice cream especially the grey/white and you're set!
  • shaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaka polycounter lvl 7
    darkmag07 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, Shaka. It's great to hear from someone that actually worked on the film.

I didn't. I had access to the movie assets, but for working on a real time project related to it. It was great working and learning so much from that project and the people involved.

Back on topic, the model looks way better. Be careful with those eyebrows, you should modulate the line a bit.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has come up in the past, and Hawken's always stuck to 'if it works on mobile it goes'. Personally, I'd much rather see this thread as a celebration of oldschool methods rather than raising the bar constantly as mobile hardware becomes more powerful. Which means possibly raising the polycount restriction (as even a lot of oldschool games went above 1k tris), and focusing on handpainted or pixel-art textures over photosourcing and baking from sculpts.
    I'd still prefer to roll the pixelart sticky into this one, if for no better reason than to cut down on the amount of superfluous stickies.

Anyway, some really nice stuff in this thread, I'm always excited to see new posts in here!

Since a few pages back there was also discussion on 3dcoat, I thought you'd be excited to hear that Andrew's added a pencil tool, meaning: you can draw single pixels! Haven't had a chance to try it, but I'm looking forward to doing so.
  • gamerjanne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamerjanne polycounter lvl 6
    A "druid" mace I'm currently working on. Made a quick sketch and this is how far I've come:

606 Tris
    1024 Diffuse
    concept.jpg

macev.png
  • Anthony44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to javier and his spitfire :thumbup: I was inspired to do a razorback I always try to do somthing on Memorial day. (all handpainted ecp. for the numbers and letters it was abit rushed 2days work) Bob%20Hellwig%20368th.png
  • MadCarrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A very simple short sword. 40 poly, 128x128 texture.

simple_hand_painted_short_sword_by_madgharr-d66vvnj.png
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm making something with a purpose, as part of a passion project (a game) I am making a model (well for the most part the model is made and animates brilliantly, but the texture still needs doing) of Little Wolf.
    Concept:
    7nBCJRi.png
    Model & texture
    H0mKjB5.pngz70kF2v.png
  • Kiebler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a weapon Model I've been working on for a while! I took inspiration from the Uruk Hai scimitar for the blades!

Feedback/critiques are more than welcome!

cWAtfCs.png
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I thought that if anyone was going to be making use of the sketchfab embedding feature, it would be the low-poly thread. (Given the lack of normal maps and the problems associated with them as well as the lightning quick load times of low resolution textures and low polygon counts)
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Computron: It's still way easier/faster to do an image.

@Bombshell: That looks super cute. I can't wait to see it finished!

sg_wip_update_5-28.png

Worked more on the base textures for Sugar Gwyn. I changed the gumdrops to geo/icoshpheres. I might mess with their shape a little more, but they look better overall. Up next is adding some texture to her clothing, painting her hair and then 3d painting everything to get rid of any and all remaining seams and adding back in the baked lighting.

After that, I'll probably call it done for a while to try a new project before coming back to it to do some animation work.
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    I'm trying to leave my comfortzone. Might do more of these since it was great fun.
    661 tris

zombiepear_by_mpalm-d66qzdj.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Palm - incredible painting work, great stuff! Is that baked from a sculpt or all painted?
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Torch. Is a mix I suppose. Its a few hours of work in from sphere to sculpt with polypaint. Then some accenting in ps. It has normalmaps and everything but I wanted the diffuse to work on it's own.

zb
    zombiepearzb_by_mpalm-d671uxk.jpg

The worn had to go. It was to much going on with it.;)
  • Mercury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my 3d fish called štuka :

stuka3d.png

I need to work on the texture a little bit more.

Here's also a little animation :

stukaAni.gif

Hope you like it :D
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    palm wrote: »
    I'm trying to leave my comfortzone. Might do more of these since it was great fun.
    661 tris

zombiepear_by_mpalm-d66qzdj.jpg

haha thats amazing, I love it!