Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Oleg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oleg polycounter lvl 14
    working on this dude now ,

45jYT.jpg
  • Damytria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria polycounter lvl 7
    @Clock Super cute, I'm a fan of the face! really conveys the character's emotions ;-)

Radish/Beet/Turnip ..th..thing
    I stayed pretty true to the concept I received.

Images Removed! CRAP NDA!

Is there a line of code I can add to scale these images down? I feel like I'm flooding this thread with monster images >_<
  • vkp_number2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vkp_number2 polycounter lvl 8
    @clockchrome
    kanata4.gif
    E: A backpack full of bricks.

78684130.png
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paradise.engineering polycounter lvl 11
    ship-wip11b.gif

Spanish Ship made for Lowpoly Workshop Contest
    its still wip but i'm proud of it.
    700 tris
    256x256 texture
  • Beazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Oleg Cool stuff man! I thought Final Fantasy Black Mage first but yer, Jawa like too!. As for the ball at the back of his hood, I think you could cut that down. I am guessing that the current sphere is like 48 triangles (Looks like 8 segments). Probably cut that down by at least 15 triangles using a GeoSphere.

@Damytria Love your style!

@Willy Looks wicked. Is it a steady hand game?

Here's something I did this morning. See if you can guess the band and song/music video the character is from :).

milky2s.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Beazel wrote: »
    Here's something I did this morning. See if you can guess the band and song/music video the character is from :).

milky2s.jpg

I'm gonna say this one
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belias polycounter lvl 14
    nice work all
    my first low poly stuff
    514 polys, 512*512 tex
    zeel_r2.jpg
  • Oleg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oleg polycounter lvl 14
    Nice boat you got there , coming up real nice.

Beazel , Glad to hear you like it , as for the sphere I think you are totally right about it , I used indeed a 8 segment ball , And its to much will sure cut it down.
    But I just love your milk box its so cute.

Belias , haha very cool character , love the look on his face :)

Finished the frog king. all comments are welcome.

YftBk.jpg
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you Oleg, and i must say i envy your texturing skills, also very nice work Belias.
  • carlestenorio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good people! My name is Carlos Tenorio, and my passion is video games and desarrallo. I still long this great website and community, and especially this Thread. And the truth is that I have learned a lot.

That said, I want to do my bit in this game-artist community, with a few screenshots of the prototype model of my first game project, which I am completely dedicated to it.

I accept any comments, advice and / or assistance.

I hope you like! Sorry for my terrible English level, I'm using google translator.

Without further delay, I put the images!

thanks

Robo-Elder Thing - 860 tris

tumblr_lnpzdkSfzn1qlt68eo1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1309780964&Signature=ERQaRasD4XtJnZTYYRIDEcBGdpM%3D

Yuggoth Tank - 1738 tris

tumblr_lnpzxbPa4A1qlt68eo1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1309780959&Signature=75HWinrue3XdzUeaQxCbwac9pGM%3D

Yuggoth shotgun - 646 tris

tumblr_lnpzjeDAWg1qlt68eo1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1309780962&Signature=O7A9sKXJFlv3oJwIVD09QJBH54o%3D
  • Hatsya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlestenorio: Nice poly-management out there, and it's about Lovecraftian sci-fi?
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My Conquistador Frigate for Lowpoly Workshop Contest #2 is now complete
    ship-pe.gif
    water3.jpg
    water2.jpg
    water4.jpg
  • carlestenorio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hatsya wrote: »
    carlestenorio: Nice poly-management out there, and it's about Lovecraftian sci-fi?

Thanks! I always try to find a good equlibrio of plogonos, but always to
    below. I'm all a-fanatic lowpoly.

Well, yes, my project is inspired by Lovecraft mitolologia
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Carle, those models are looking ok, the second one is rather alot of tris, im sure alot of the detail in the upper section could be achieved with textures. Also seeming as your using so many cylindrical shapes it would be worth merging the verts together, could add up to saving quite a few tris:
    merge.jpg

Anyway, something from me...
    64x64 texture each, ~ 500 tris each
    Robots:
    Robot-1-TT.gifrobot-2-TT.gifrobot-3-TT.gifRobot-4-TT.gif
  • NthSimulacrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    210 Triangles

spc_taxi_diff_ortho.png

spc_taxi_gou_beaut3.png

128 x 128 texture, 16 Kb

spc_taxi.png
  • waffleghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been lurking this thread for some time now so I figured I'd contribute.

polycountuploadviewportfix.png
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Carle, those models are looking ok, the second one is rather alot of tris, im sure alot of the detail in the upper section could be achieved with textures. Also seeming as your using so many cylindrical shapes it would be worth merging the verts together, could add up to saving quite a few tris:
    merge.jpg

Robots:

Those look really sweet. All you need is an orange bot and you'll have a pretty sweet take on Pacman.

Joking aside though I like that little touch of the grill on the red bot. I'm looking for a word to call that effect, because you did it with the collar on pinky, and the hip flanges on blue. It's a sweet little touch and adds a lot of character.
  • Damytria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria polycounter lvl 7
    I love the robots gilesruscoe.

Each of them has great form, and their own unique look. I'm a big fan of the Yellow/Bruiser Bot ;-)

Keep up the great work!
  • carlestenorio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    merge.jpg

Robots:

Eyys! gilesruscoe, thank you very much for the tip! I'll have a lot from now!

One question, do you think these models would be very difficult to texture? I would like to make a style similar to what Tom Tallian textures or Kenneth Fejer, with maps of 128x128, or 256x256 maximum very pixelated. Although now I have to learn to deploy the UV maps with Blender or Maya

By the way, your robot models are great! I could give some advice to consider for texturing?

To not clutter this thread with questions about my contributions, I leave here a link to my specific Threadhttp://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86426
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    please criticize my topology
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all for the robo love <3

Carle, the most important thing to consider when using low maps (32, 64 or 128's) is to keep everything in your UV unwrap as square as possible. This way you can make use of the way pixels align horizontally and vertically, resulting in smooth lines (a diagonal line needs more then ten times the amount of pixels of a vertical line to be nearly as smooth).
    Also, make use of pixel stretching, this means you can texture an entire length of faces with only a 1px wide strip of pixels.
    Kenneth Fejer's (Tennis) models are a perfect example of what most people try to achieve with pixel art textures. His models however are normally pretty low (i think he most recent boat was around the 250 mark), so your 1.7k triangle tank is way over budget for that kind of style. If the model has a limited texture budget of 64x64 pixels, its doubtful that it's going to have that many polys.

Belias, With such a lowress character of that shape, i dont think an openable mouth is vitally important, it could just be textured on. You have alot of edge loops around the head which dont contribute much to the shape of model and are merely supporting the mouth. Also, at the moment your character cant be animated, atleast, not very well. You need to add an extra edge loop to each of the joints to enable them to bend properly, merge the new verts into a single loop behind the knee also, so it looks like this in side view >--
    I know thats not very clear, but if you check the polycount wiki for limb topology there are some great examples there.
  • christermime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    christermime polycounter lvl 8
    Oleg wrote: »
    Nice boat you got there , coming up real nice.

Beazel , Glad to hear you like it , as for the sphere I think you are totally right about it , I used indeed a 8 segment ball , And its to much will sure cut it down.
    But I just love your milk box its so cute.

Belias , haha very cool character , love the look on his face :)

Finished the frog king. all comments are welcome.

-snip-

Hey Oleg, nice progress on your low poly stuff. One thing I noticed about the back of this guy's robe is that the folds kind of come to a point where the texture is mirrored. i would take a couple minutes to round the folds out around the seam, it makes the mirroring less noticeable. I made a quick sloppy paintover to show what I'm talking about.

frogfolds.gif

I think the folds may be a little much as well, giving the eye a place to rest where there would be naturally less folds where the cloth is less pinched might help. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:
  • carlestenorio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belias wrote: »
    please criticize my topology

The texture work I love! Although perhaps the topology of the body, had
    below cylinder made ​​of a 8 or 7 faces, and legs and arms with 6-sided or 4-sided cylinder as
    separate pieces
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at the moment your character cant be animated, atleast, not very well. You need to add an extra edge loop to each of the joints to enable them to bend properly, merge the new verts into a single loop behind the knee also, so it looks like this in side view >--
    I know thats not very clear, but if you check the polycount wiki for limb topology there are some great examples there.
    done, thanks mate! =]
    upper wire with >-- , the bottom one has no one.

showmodel2.jpg
    i dont think an openable mouth is vitally important,
    he is for a game that he eats apples like a crazy man!!!

thanks all, any more crits?
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is that modeled off of one of the String App AR demo/games?

http://www.boffswana.com/news/?p=1255#more-1255
  • carlestenorio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many thanks for your advice gilesruscoe! I will be a great help!!

In fact, following the advice of gilesruscoe I leave here, the previous modeling
    tank, with corrections and advice they gave me.

Now the tank has a tris of 832 Polycount! the previous one was 1.7k tris!

Yuggoth Tank - 832 tris (correction)

capturadepantalla201107m.png
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is that modeled off of one of the String App AR demo/games?
    inspired by many characters... one of them was that character you mentioned.

showmodel3.jpg
  • mcunha98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcunha98 polycounter lvl 7
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcunha98, blender?
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    mcunha98 I like the silhouette and the colors, but the textures and specially the UV unwrap could be improved. Your UV's are crooked, tilted and are wasting a lot of space because of this. The life buoys could also be unwrapped to the same place, no need to have 4 identical buoys on the texture. Texture-wise maybe add some light ambient occlusion, some shadows from the buoys on the sides of the ship could look good as well.
  • carlestenorio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry Mason is Pyramid Head! - 626 tris
    This morning I wanted to do some organic modeling in low-poly, to show
    Polycount forum.
    Initially, only pretended to make a human body, but after I had the enlightening and
    great idea ... why not put a grotesque and sublime pyramide head? And so step
    I take my modeling one of my three favorite characters from video games!
    By the way, I practice what to assign materials to polygon components

pyramid_head___626_tris_by_carlestenorio-d3kxh8w.png

tumblr_lnsw1jSU5D1qlt68eo1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1309857444&Signature=H5NGCGRMlVOSPf6rdtJ2gD%2BTLBY%3D
  • maz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maz
    468 tris, 256 dif map
    proj8_screen.png
    proj8_screenW.png
  • clandestine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clandestine polycounter lvl 12
    hey guys, here is another model for a project I'm working on... 300 polys (triangles) 256x256 texture

why 300? well... you get 3 models for the polycount of 2 :D

workflow_poster_01.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, nice job! i love your concept sketch on the gridded paper, looks really clean. did you bake out an AO pass from the highpoly to the low poly? the details look very crisp.

Carle, your character needs additional edge loops for deforms, otherwise its looking cool.
  • clandestine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks gilesruscoe
    yes, thats one of the reasons behind the hi-poly model.
    Used xNormal to transfer the AO.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick morning 3D sketchy
    fish.jpg
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronaton polycounter lvl 6
    Heres my low poly Integra Typre R. Made in Maya and Photoshop. Its a fixed model so no moving parts, wanted to bring out more detail around the wheels you see. Could work in a racing game when the car views are directly behind the car like in GT5.

IntegLowPolyPage.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    clandestine
    Neon Smart Racer Rally. Make it!
  • Defaultsound
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defaultsound polycounter lvl 14
    Here is a picnic scene I am working on at the moment. It was inspired by a post a many pages back I can't remember. So far I've just been adding stuff that fit into the scene, I do plan to add more. Also later I may add in AO.

Wires
    DynJa.png
    WIP
    hJfYt.png
    Texture 64x64:
    OmWSI.png
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
    cars
    This is nice... :)
  • vkp_number2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vkp_number2 polycounter lvl 8
    Better Late than never.
    dx3b.png
  • laperen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laperen polycounter lvl 11

Robots:

will you be able to show the wire meshes and textures for these? im mighty curious bout how you made them
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I think you're talking about SyaPed, correct Hawken?

Anyway, he had a thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70538&highlight=squad&page=5 but seems the images don't work anymore, and the last update to his games' blog was in August last year: http://junkersgame.blogspot.com/

Nah it wasn't Junkers, something else, little lowpoly space guys with big heads.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laperen wrote: »
    will you be able to show the wire meshes and textures for these? im mighty curious bout how you made them

Of course:
    Mainly just modelled silhouettes with planes and kept them all as floating geo, then used circles (8 sided for eyes, 5 sided for bolts) to add the little details.
    robot%20wires.jpg

Textures are 64x64 and all just look like a jumble of pixel strips, but here is what the texture for the tall guy looks like:
    robot%20texture.jpg
    Enlarged:
    Robot%20texture%20enlarged.jpg
    Could easily squish alot of the details in there down to 1 px strips if i were really pushing the details, but i just did these for a laugh one morning, so i wasn't really too concerned with texture space :p
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Better Late than never.

I'd like to see that in .mdl polyblobs at software mode 320x200 :)
  • carlestenorio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course:
    Mainly just modelled silhouettes with planes and kept them all as floating geo, then used circles (8 sided for eyes, 5 sided for bolts) to add the little details.
    robot%20wires.jpg

Textures are 64x64 and all just look like a jumble of pixel strips, but here is what the texture for the tall guy looks like:
    robot%20texture.jpg
    Enlarged:
    Robot%20texture%20enlarged.jpg
    Could easily squish alot of the details in there down to 1 px strips if i were really pushing the details, but i just did these for a laugh one morning, so i wasn't really too concerned with texture space :p

AMAZING!!!!!
  • carlestenorio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elder Thing - 950 tris

One of four selectable races of my project
    game.

Maybe leftover triangles in the centerpiece, as it can
    supplemented with textures ...

elder_thing_low_poly_by_carlestenorio-d3l1s2u.png
  • clandestine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

those are truly inspiring... i wish i could design like this!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou clandestine.

Heres another quickie from me, ~ 2 hours total to make him.

gladiatorTT.gif
    gladiator%201.jpg
    Recorded a timelapse for the texturing for those who are interested:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaAS6pajJWI[/ame]
  • Gorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message