Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    yeah, use that wasted uvspace to add that thurd and the toilet paper :D

EDIT: Theres something weird about your toilet actually.. why it has a second leg on the back?
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    Here are my attempts for the RPG model! Just a female character without texture, armors or particular things.
    I realized that I was able to stay under 250 tris even with some more details. Take a look!

lowpolyrpg.jpg

@Linox_Dagger: wow... This is VERY lowpoly! Maybe too much... :P

@Aranoth: so it's for PC? This changes everything! Just model it as you want it to be, there are almost no limits, you know! ;)
  • Lionx_Dagger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pridepg.png

each
    178 tris
    texture 128x128
  • WIZPIT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivan2.png
    ivan V2
    Sword is 212 polys
    Helm is 198 polys
    head is 96 polys

Is that too many?
    i know the sword could be optimized.
    the textures are 128*128

Crit is welcome.

thanks

heres a good look:
    http://alexearley.com/SM3/ivan.html
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    WIZPIT wrote: »
    ivan2.png
    ivan V2
    Sword is 212 polys
    Helm is 198 polys
    head is 96 polys

Is that too many?
    Yes, that is. And post the wireframe also.

Is there a reason why the helm is separate object from the head? Because now I think there could be some unneeded tris lying around inside the helm. Also the texture size seems to be way too large for that little detail you got in it.

"Sword is 212 polys", what, seriously? :O Where did you spend it all? Just for example, guess how many polys this sword has:

render.jpg

It's 52, and it looks almost exactly the same as yours. So yeah, you could optimize a bit :P
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    Low poly guy for a scifi game (that will probably never be, but fun to make art for regardless)

scifiman01.png
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    mifflefish wrote: »
    Lurker no lurking... oh ok fine

finished this a little while back and I thought I would throw it up here I hope it's within the specs of this thread

jupiter_king_02.jpg

the robot is 2860 and uses 1 512 texture, the environment is about 15k and uses 5 texture ranging from 64 - 512.
    diffuse only no lighting

It's awesome, but not lowpoly sorry! Looks like Wii specs

I'm sure you could make a lowpoly version though... as people have suggested.

The lefthand arm could do with some serious optimisations.
  • WIZPIT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls wrote: »
    Yes, that is. And post the wireframe also.

Is there a reason why the helm is separate object from the head? Because now I think there could be some unneeded tris lying around inside the helm. Also the texture size seems to be way too large for that little detail you got in it.

"Sword is 212 polys", what, seriously? :O Where did you spend it all? Just for example, guess how many polys this sword has:

render.jpg

It's 52, and it looks almost exactly the same as yours. So yeah, you could optimize a bit :P

I'll post the wireframe with an update.
    I built the helm first thinking my game was going to have changable armor. but now my character is only a floating head, so im going to combine the two. (more like delete the head and drag some of thoes verts on the inside out.

Most of the complexity in the sword is in it's grip. :/ I see yours is only 4 or 5 sided. i think ill start with that.

thanks.
  • ScubaSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScubaSteve polycounter lvl 17
    The biggest texture i used in one of my levels on the ds is 256...It was the city scape card in this scene.

goldeneye-007-20100818055728992.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    ScubaSteve: wait... you weren't allowed to post here, but they gave the images to IGN? Also, wouldn't it have been cheaper to use sprites/planes for those buildings?

WIZPIT - your guy technically is within limits but it could do with a lot of optimization.

Mifflefish - definitely not 'mobile gaming' lowpoly. Looks good though, but better suited for the WAYWO thread.

d2king10 - nice, though you might want a wee more detail below the waist, and the pants blend into the shoes a bit.

Lionx_Dagger - I advise you to spend more time and effort on individual characters, instead of trying to make as many as fast as possible.

Mr_Drayton - you could save a wee more by using quads on the front and top of the torso, and making the head+neck a floating object.

Aranoth - you could try making the head and hair more like a geosphere. And I'd reduce the arms and legs to 4 sided ones.

willy-wilson - looks good, could use some folds and better defined eyes.

Harmalarm - texturesizes are rather inconsistent - I'd either use a 256² for the car or a 64² for the girl. The textures are a bit too flat too, IMO.

LMP - really loving that green/grey triangular building.

T.Bull - they all look rather skinny.
  • Lionx_Dagger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    ScubaSteve:
    Lionx_Dagger - I advise you to spend more time and effort on individual characters, instead of trying to make as many as fast as possible.
    thanks tho depend what you mean on et

cause from model side i wanted to keep them 178 tris,and I'm satisfy with they mesh

and no models where not based on making as many as possible so sorry to disappoint u here, i created one was happy with it and worked on another

and if its about the texture well so far its the best i can do

:3 have good day
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    That seems rational considering it's a main character and all. From a quick google search it seems like most protagonists in 3rd person PSP games are around 5k.
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    Great stuff, d2king10! I really like it.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    CharacterBase_006.png

Working on a base character for something I'd like to try to make. But I'm not sure what polycount to aim for. I'd love it if I could use the 620 one, but I have no idea...

Also, I've read that a snapdragon can handle about 300,000 per frame but...
    -that sounds high. is that just untextured/unlit?
    -the snapdragon is a pretty high-end chip I think.
    I've ran the Quadrant benchmark and my phone (LG GW620) gets about 7, 15 and 5 fps on the maze, planets and helix but I have no idea what the specs for those scenes are... Though some basic OpenGL demos run quite smooth, with a sphere having textures, lighting, even reflection map...

Can anyone point me at some statistics for more average phones than the nexus one, droid X and so on?

Also, also: quite satisfied with the hand, weighs only 95tris.
    cheaphand_95tris.png
  • ScubaSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScubaSteve polycounter lvl 17
    sorry i was in the process of moving....

to answer the question about the screenshots....they got approved they just do not want them on a public forum...and these are the official screenshots that are posted everywhere just not IGN. I am just using this picture for example.

But to answer your question its all about texture memory to poly limits...that was done with two planes instead of each building have there own. To cut the polys/tris due to what was on screen in that section. So it is a balancing act and takes some planning.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    So here goes my first lowpoly model that's kinda within the range of the thread's premise. I tried to incorporate some things that I learned from just reading this thread page after page and learned a whole lot by making this. Guess I could have come up with something better for the modular windows, but oh well, this won't lead anywhere, so I just say I got my lesson learned :poly136:

My reference:
    http://www.dexsoft-games.com/models/images/fantasy/desert_oasis/render-1.jpg

Actually that would be kinda cool environment to make modular tiles for ;)

desert_building_low.jpg
  • telmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7C2b
    7C26
    70 faces exactly. I've done texture mods before, but this will be my first from-scratch texture. I dont even think i know how to unwrap in blender.
  • drelectro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drelectro polycounter lvl 8
    this needs a little bit optimization. remove the useless verts at handle and blade and you'll drop to 30 tris or so.
  • drelectro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @luke: i think you might run in trouble with the knees when bending. do the geometry like you did at the elbows.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen wrote: »
    desert_building_low.jpg
    Hey, not bad. This could fit perfectly a PSP game! And, if you want to optimize it even more for a LOD or a NDS game, you can follow this reference:

desertbuildinglow.gif

Maybe I'm only tired, but it's so fun to draw bright lines above polygonal edges... :poly142:
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Capture-76.png

AWESOME. Any plans to animate?
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScubaSteve wrote: »
    The biggest texture i used in one of my levels on the ds is 256...It was the city scape card in this scene.
    goldeneye-007-20100818055728992.jpg

Oh how I wish custom maps were able to be made for this :poly142:
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    duncan wrote: »
    AWESOME. Any plans to animate?

actually i think im going to put an sdk out for it when i get home from work.
  • Edgar T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgar T interpolator
    d2king10: Absolutelly lovely work :)

A golem i'm working on ( 776 tris and 512² for the map ) I'm thinking about to take away the protection of the head and make him one that goes well with the rest of the body. Any idea ?

mostr.jpg
  • Bruno Afonseca
    @pshyco: his texture doesn't help define the shape, pretty much the opposite. Those 'scales' don't have volume and overall things look too busy. Also, lots of stretching on the shoulders. I'd rework that
  • Imogia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did this for work, but it won't get used ingame.
    low_poly_car__trab_imo_614_by_imogia-d33xmnl.jpgd33xmnld33xmnl
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
  • ZeroCartin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroCartin polycounter lvl 16
    Pshyco: Well, I believe you can do the following ;)

1) Design wise, the face mask doesnt fit since there is nothing else made of metal in this guy! Id suggest adding some metal gloves or something to balance it out a bit :)

2) The yellow rocks are too saturated :P Why not give it more of a grittier kind of lava stones? http://www.swisseduc.ch/stromboli/glossary/icons/paehoe_lava.jpg :) This could really work on your model. If that is not your choice, then perhaps just lowering the saturation on the texture, and brighten it up only on the cracks :)
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Imogia: Nice car!
  • Edgar T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgar T interpolator
    fonfa: Good tip, I will think about that for sure!

ZeroCarti: Really interesting reference. It should work so fine in my model as you said. I'm gonna try it!

Thx all!
  • pixelchaot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelchaot polycounter lvl 17
    emilywalk.gifsabbathj.gifmiles.gif
    mysteryw.gifneechee.gifemilylogo.gif
    hurdygurdy.gifflowersy.giforsino.gif
    spidergirl.gifghoulv.gifmonsterfish.gif
    pepper0.gifexozetlogo.gifvoodoomonkey.gif
    gfcmrcoolmildret.gif

this was my work on the nintendo ds game "emily the strange"
    for some characters i build a high poly version for the cutsceens.
    the pink bunny and sugarland princess are not showing...because...
    you know...play it ;P
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome! Love it!
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Those are awesome!
  • Ikuru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys, here is a Lowpoly I am working on, and some thumbnails and a ortho. Altogether 498 tris. Thanx

walkerh.jpg
    walkerortho2.jpg
    lowpolyfinal.jpg
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean polycounter lvl 8
    pixelchaot wrote: »
    (awesome images)

this was my work on the nintendo ds game "emily the strange"
    for some characters i build a high poly version for the cutsceens.
    you know...play it ;P

AWESOME.
  • pixelchaot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you guys !!!
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pixelchatot: Wow... I envy you, really! Models are great, and animations are even greater. :O
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    great work, pixelchaot! really cool style and execution
  • Endzeit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    Working on a watchtower from C&C Tiberian Sun
    watchtowerjyku.png

toweriax2.png
  • drelectro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you know...play it ;P

after seeing these models: i definately will!
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    i hope pixel art still counts because i made this cute lil jumping astro city

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666

ghoulv.gifmonsterfish.gif
    pepper0.gif

Great work! I especially like these three. The level of squash/stretch is really uncommon to see in game animation. Would you be able to post some details on the characters rigs?
  • Just Call Me Bruce!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just Call Me Bruce! polycounter lvl 8

orsino.gif

Cool stuff, I like that you're only using the three colours(4 with the grey:)).
    I have a little crit about the animation above. I think you could do something more with the cane. Like give it more snap or make him twirl it(not sure if that would be appropriate for his character). Also it makes his arms swing down together which I think look a little weird.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i second this, I'd like to know specific techniques and work flows for rigging extremely low poly characters.
  • pixelchaot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the animations are from jochen volz a animator (the only animator) in my company...
    he makes everything "alive" also he is a talented comic drawer...
    for the cat and the spider we take the catrig in max and the other charaters was done with the standart biped...he said is the fastest and the easyest way to animate for games?!
    have an eye of the rotate points of the bones, hard weight skinning and sometimes its better to turn edges for better deformations...thats it!

pepperrig.gif

@bruce?! thx for the critics
    weird is good for emily the strange ^^
    now its to late...its released!
    but its only one from several animations...and its nds... 256x192 pixel you know ;)
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    Working on a little something about 3/4 of a 64x64 map used so far.

ds_spec_kirby-2.png
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    pixelchaot: amazing stuff - totally stunning
    willy-wilson: another nice set of lowpoly stuff from you !

So, there goes another failure ;)
    Basically I think I'm just stuck in between different mobile specs and don't know which way to go. Ultralow polycounts and textures, or higher polycounts with small textures...
    So basically I started out with making lots and lots of modular pieces for a western town scene. I then started a quick mockup texture to see how everything could work out in the end. In order to save texture space I created more polygons so i could recycle the texture by rotating and mirroring. I kinda have the feeling that the geometry I'm using right now would be more suited for almost a fps kind of game. It's basically shipping around at 1000 triangles using a 256² texture with 7 different variations of wooden planks ;)

western_building_low.jpg

Things I've learned:
    1) Really good choice to test texture on a mockup building, so you see how the texture plays out. For example I realized it's stupid to take away texture space of the planks by adding a bunch of wood profiles, when 1 is enough ;)
    2) The technique with different colored planks allows for a nice variety of wood colors for single assets
    3) No huge spots or creases in the wood should be applied or otherwise it will show a lot ingame with ugly lines and stuff.

I really wish there would be more Mobile Games Artists Portfolios or Technical Breakdowns available/present. I'm kinda stuck on scubasteve, madpxl and kennethfejr stuff and it's mostly single assets and not an entire level - except goldeneye stuff :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    thats a lot of triangles for such a tiny texture size, I would almost say a waste of triangles since you can't see the value of them in the end because of the extreme tiny texture size.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    railing rungs, floorboards and window bars, should probably have fewer tris. renderhjs is correct, you're giving a lot of stuff geometry that would look absolutely no different than using planes and transparency shortcuts on a mobile device.