Home Technical Talk

wacom sensetivety

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
shotgun polycounter lvl 19
my intuos 3 pen reads in large, rough incraments, very not smooth, especially when compared to the mouse.

if i switch to Pen mapping mode, it's real nice and smooth.. ..but i want the Mouse mapping mode.
i tried reinstalling the drivers, no help.

help?

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Err, well, I use pen mapping mode.
    Why would you want to use mouse mapping when you use the pen? Doesn't make sense to me. It's also obviously not what they designed it for, so it's probably why you're having issues...
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I want to drive my tractor backwards in 4th gear the wrong way up the highway but they won't let me. why?!?!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Shotgun, my wacom works exactly the opposite, in pen mapping mode it is rough as shit but in mouse mode it is super smooth. This has been pissing me off for 7 years now. Why the hell can't wacom add a sampling option like all mise drivers seem to have.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah well... my aiptek 12000U....does'nt really work... at all. It tends to draw straight lines, even when i curve my drawing motions. I've sent it in twice now. Dont buy one.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hawken: my ruler won't draw circles, any ideas?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Are you referring specifically to any application, or just using the pen in Windows (or whatever OS) in general?

If it's Photoshop, try turning on the "Smoothing" checkbox in the brushes palette.

If it's just in general, I'm with Hawken and Rooster - why use the pen in mouse mode? It doesn't make any sense and seems counter-intuitive!
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    From what I've seen it makes it easier to navigate thorugh the internet or use wordprocessing programs with the pen on mouse mode but not pull out the mouse(wich I find terrible...).
    You can switch to mouse mode instatnly without any drivers,just program toggle mode to one of your pen buttons.

You
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mouse mode is shit, and I will never use it, but man does it make the pen scroll smoothly! Turning on smooth in photoshop does not increase the tracking speed of the pen it only records at a higher rate so when you move the pen to fast you will see the paint trailing behind it this allows it to draw smooth curves instead of faceted. The original question remains, why does mouse mode have such smooth pen tracing and pen mode has shit pen tracking?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using:

photoshop cs (1)
    wacom intuos 3 A5WIDE
    pentium4 3.2 HT
    512ram
    gforce5 128

pen mode is smooth as a babies bum. no delayed trails here.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try switching between smoothed brush and no smoothed brush you will undoubtedly see a difference. But the question remains how to get the tablet to cursor to move as smooth as the mouse.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks your kit is the problem mate. thats the answer: upgrade
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can someone confirm this? My graphire at home is 6 years old so has wacom actually improved the number of samples/second the pen grabs in pen mode?
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    email wacom? I'm assumine in 6 years they have updated the technology.

I cant stand how my tablet clicks/drawn when simply pressed down. I'd rather hold a button or toggle it on and off so I can plan my strokes (beavis laugh). I mean seriously... mayhaps wacom already does this?
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    email wacom? I'm assumine in 6 years they have updated the technology.

I cant stand how my tablet clicks/drawn when simply pressed down. I'd rather hold a button or toggle it on and off so I can plan my strokes (beavis laugh). I mean seriously... mayhaps wacom already does this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do this:

- Map the tip to "Disabled"
    - Map the side button you prefer to Left Click
    - Hit Options, turn on Side Switch Expert Mode (Turns the side switches into toggles for the tip)

Voila smile.gif

As for the sampling issue, my system is:

- First Edition Graphire
    - 4.93-3 Drivers
    - openCanvas 4.06
    - 1.8 ghz Intel Pentium 4
    - 2 gigs ram
    - GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
    - Windows 2000

Pen mode and mouse mode are identical for me. I'd check under Photoshop, but haven't installed it yet since reinstalling this weekend.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cant, I have an aiptek. You cant map anything but the rocker switch to either left or right mouse, or double click. The tip mapping is disabled, and there is no option to change it.

Did you know, i have what looks liek an erasor button, but it's completely un-functional and only visual. Mind you it pushes down and everything, is colored blue like the buttons. But when you open the pen... it does'nt connect to anything. It's just.... for show... lol...
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I cant, I have an aiptek. You cant map anything but the rocker switch to either left or right mouse, or double click. The tip mapping is disabled, and there is no option to change it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, well, that's easy enough to fix. Just do the following before opening your configuration software:

- Buy a Wacom ~_^
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have two different tablets for work and home and both have the same tracking issues in pen mode. My tablet at work is an intuous and tracks better but not as good as mouse mode. My computer at home is a higher grade than anything listed thus far so I doubt it's a hardware issue unless it is the actual wacom hardware. The properties for my mouse that I got in 2001 allows me to turn up the sampling for smoother movement, so why doesn't Wacom have this kind of setting on their pens?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    probably best to get the new drivers too. The new driver supports all the tablets in one neat package, lets you hot swap tablets and so on.

I'm guessing the optimal resolution for your monitor and card should be in place before screaming murder at the Wacom. Obviously the newer ones are better, so intuos3 owners are unlikely to have any problems so long as their computers have enough ram and processing power free. Also, it depends on how many USB devices you have connected, if the hub is usb2 and so on.

as for aiptek users, sell that shit on ebay. Get a cheap Wacom, never look back.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the aiptek i have was donated to me by poop himself. it's sacred. plus the smallest model intuos3 is 200 bucks. i'd buy one, but i'm being sued :/ maybe as a "the dreadfully large payments are over" present.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    If you look close at the top right corner under the clear cover, you can see some DNA. 8-)

poop.gif
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think i just vomited a little in my mouth. but i'm gratefull none the less.

in my best german scientist voice:
    *maybe... i can extract some artistic skills, ffffffrom zee DNA, und apply it to my own genetic structure!*
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken for the win with updated drivers. Now my 4x5 intuous from 2001 is smooth as butter.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    the aiptek i have was donated to me by poop himself. it's sacred. plus the smallest model intuos3 is 200 bucks. i'd buy one, but i'm being sued :/ maybe as a "the dreadfully large payments are over" present.

[/ QUOTE ]

no one is asking you to part with 200 bucks. Graphires go for around 40 dollars for an A6.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    well..... bottom line i still get very jagged movement on mouse mode, and smooth on pen mode.
    it's like the opposite.

my mouse also moves just as jagged - UNLESS!!! (what a drama) - i turn on Enhanced Pointer Percision in the windows mouse setting. then, it's smooth. but i can't find anything like that for the wacom frown.gif

no help?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bottom line you are not meant to use the pen in mouse mode.

call wacom, they will tell you the same thing