Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

85 years old but still banging

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
shotgun polycounter lvl 19
magarnigal made this model back in the day (review:: here),

the animations were fantastic,
but my skin looked like plastic.
and so, in a moment of questionable sobriety i decided to see if i can pull something better today in terms of form and structure.
for reference, the old skin below (fake and flat, just fancy highlights innit)

it's pretty close to done / i've had enough of this,
so now is good time for critics.

the eye suck (of all areas!) ,
the greenlight is just bordering between 'cool' and 'distastefully ungraceful',
but i may actually move on to the rider if you guys kick my ass hard enough.

per, you know where i like it,
you can spare the lube blush.gif

clean.jpg

old.jpg

front.jpg

rear.jpg

btw if you don't know magarnigal and his animation goodness --> http://www.mmellor.com

AH!
but the flats

sg_dragon6.jpg

Replies

• Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    dude that texture map is awesome!
  • jimiyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimiyo polycounter lvl 17
    damnyo. thats tight. you have a tutorial?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work dude, but I'm curious why all the metally bits are still rendered like skin? Shouldn't they be made out of metal? The tubes and what not just read confusingly being painted the same tones as the flesh. Also his face is a little hard to read as the contrast levels are so deep all the way around it. A little bit of flat area to draw the eye and give focus to the structure could go a long way. Looks awesome reguardless man.

poop.gif
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    hm... I think it's well done but aesthetically I like the old one better. This new one is a bit blown out and mushy. Your colors are a bit inconsistent from neck to tail. The neck is real pink but it’s not carried into the head. The head worked on the first one because it wasn’t too busy and distracting. The new one just seams cluttered. I think you would have benefited with “less is more” in this instance.

I like the fatty wrinkles on the tail and as an exercise in shading I think you have a lot of cool stuff going on. My favorite part is the metal work in the saddle. The lighting is really well done there. I’d like to see the skin lit more subtle as you have done there.

- BoBo
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hmjam.. i like it .. but i would (decrese texture sice and) put him into a secret-of-mana stylish game.. and not in quake wink.gif

hmm.. maybe you could sharpen it a bit up when your finished..? think thats what´s bugging me
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol secret-of-mana hehe wink.gif

yup all good calls guys!
    thank you for taking the time, bobo.
    everything spot on.
    nothing i didn't tell meself already, just didn't care enough to fix blush.gif
    it's excercise really, like u said, all sense of aesthetics and design is indeed discarded.

good cool on the metal-tubes value thing poop, i didn't notice that one tho!

keep'em coming, you may actually make me hate myself to a point where i'll go amok and carry it out properly.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well, awesome paintin' skills of course Shotty. My 2 cents would be that I think there's just too much disparity here between geometry and texture resolutions. In short, I think you're trying to describe a little too much in 2D, that really should be done in 3D. The rear thigh being the strongest example. The skin is overcomplex in terms of how much 'Z' depth you are trying to push in and out. So I guess I'm somewhat echo-ing Bobos sentiment of 'less is more'?
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I agree with Daz, and Bobo on things Shotgun.. the 2d work is cool, but complex, and being pushed beyond what I think you should do. But nonetheless I still like it, love your talent man, and keep it coming.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm so i guess per was wrong when he said you completly lost your mind. This looks pretty damn nice dude, the only thing i would say is that it would look even better if had some sharper details. I think this is definately much much better than the old one and bobo is just being nostalgic =)

Oh yes, and please.... More jewfro?
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yesh! you said the key word daz
    that's exactly what this is all about: the 'Z axis', what pushes the 3d form.
    it is the secret ingredient which i felt was entirely missing from the original skin. it may seem more asthetic, but it is essentially just a bunch of flat yet neatly pixel pushed highlights; there's no form!

true, i absolutely agree, in practical terms, it's an overkill.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i really like the skin folds near the tail. Its a little excessive on the leg with the tube things... kinda like you intended to make em a different color but pink just looked easier? smile.gif

technically the details are great, and i think there is a good bit of subtlety in it, but i dont think the design is a collected as the first one. I dont really understand the head, or that leg bit, as an example.

I do really dig the green, and green plug things on it. fuckin cool.

in terms of variation and maturity i think you succeded, and the design is growin on me smile.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    His snout is blurry! It looks like your horse blanket needs to cast more of a shadow on the back of the beast. I agree with the remarks about the flesh-pink metal.
    I couldn't tell if you were trying to do pink ambient light reflecting off chrome, thus looking pink, or pinkish gold metal.
    All that said....its pretty cool still Shotty. You know I love you...well at least your work. :P