Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character in need of critique

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
oobersli polycounter lvl 17
Hi, new here, just wanted to post up a few shots of a new character I've worked on recently. Its an amphibious gun slinging creature. I haven't textured or laid out the uv's yet, so I'd appreciate some crit's.crazy.gif

wire2hi.jpgfront7rr.jpgback1ik.jpgcrazy.gif

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    welcome aboard smile.gif well let's start off with the basics... do you have a concept you're working from? if this guy's an amphibian, why is his overall form human with what appears to be something of a hockey mask for a face? is "gunslinger" meant to connote a western feel, or do you mean he just shoots guns? where are his guns and where's the ammo for the guns?

you're going to have to give us more to go on for good crits, but i guess my big question is what kind of style are you going for and what is this guy supposed to look like?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    well, sorry for the lack of details, ne ways, an amphibious humanoid. I'm still in the process of modeling his guns, not sure what style of gun yet tho. My biggest concern now is if I have a somewhat effecient poly use. Heres the drawings I was working off of. frontchar8se.jpg
    sidechar3kt.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like there might be a lot of unnecessary polys on the sides of his facemask. His hands also seem rather dense compared to the rest of him.

A question on design: What exactly makes him amphibious? Right now he doesn't really exhibit anything that would easily read that; no visible adaptations to a life in water.
  • Mr Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Ray polycounter lvl 18
    Dont know if u intended to do this but his shoulders are too far from his torso.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeha my biggest crit would be that his shoulders and arm pis are FAR waway from his body the arm and the model seems a bit off ballanced and loosley plopped together over all, this is things that a good bit more working from reference, and practice will help you fix, your dude is humanoid so use some human muscle refs and proportion to get him more solid and believable,

a crit on the character design, seems silly for amphibians to wear baggy jeans, i know baggy jeans are all "hip" and "cool" to all you youngsters with yourr "hippity hoppity" musics, but just seems to me it goes against the design, unless he doesnt like being an amphibian and he is just tryingto fit in with society, blah blah blah, if i was going to be swimming a lot, i'd wear pants somewhat like scuba diver pants, perhaps web up his fingers and toes,think more about typical amphibian elemnts, and how to push them into your design, bulbous froglike eyes maybe,

but back to basics, fixing the shoulders will improve the model by like 50% fishmen.jpg