Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

highpoly girl and car

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
pairorat polycounter lvl 18
First attempts on trying to learn how to high poly model. i mean you need to know how to model high for both cinemagraphic and game modeling now a days with the rise of NM. spent about 5 days on each model, maybe a little less on the car, it was easier than the girl (less edgelooping to rot my mind shocked.gif I'll be heading to the AI of Schaumburg (Illinois) after i finish this semester of community college, and I'm hoping to be strong enough before I enter to really start cranking a portfolio asap(well as soon as I learn 3dmax that is) laugh.gif Please c&c and let me know where I've made my noob mistakes smile.gif

back_t.jpgfront_t.jpgbust_t.jpgcar_t.jpg

Replies

• hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    the lady is really well done, you seem to have expert control of where to put verts for meshsmoothing. Purely asthetic but I'd nudge the lower outer area of the breasts up slightly, the sag looks similar to what happens when a torso is horizontal not vertical. less sag = healthy appearance.

never modeled a car and theres no wires so not much to crit on really.
  • pairorat
    Offline / Send Message
    oops heres the wires for the car, i used a lot of sub-d creasing for the break lines, i might go back and just try to use control lines and a smooth proxy not sure yet.

hawken: thanks for the crit and i think the shape is off, I'll play with the breast (woohoo!) and post my rework later tonight after class. the girl in the refrence photo had fakies and i ws trying to bring them back down.

carw_t.jpg
    edit: the wheels are just stand-ins and they're nurbs, sorry didn't mean to cuss just now.
  • EarthQuake
    Forearms too long or byceps too short? Hands might be a little small.... Boobs look a bit mishapen and i think its due to the way you modeled them, too messy. I think most of your loops on her could have benifited from better pre-planing.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    The woman's knees are in too far, her pelvis needs more landmarks and shape, her rib cage looks like it was hit by a bus, her back is broken, boobs are blobby, her upper torso shows no sign of ribcage or manubrium, and her clavicles are way off. Give her a cute tummy. Her head is pretty good. Not a bad ass from this angle. Keep good reference close by. And not of women with fakies.

Car looks great.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    you should title this: the girl, the car, and the back seat
    lol

as some great polycounter once said, those are some mad saggy hippy tits
    she's not getting into my back seat with those tits, ill tell you that!
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    These boobs aren't so much saggy as kinda lumpy! meh, tits are tits. I'll take what I can get!
    Her face is probably the most succesful aspect. Her eyes are set a little far back perhaps giving her that deep socket look? The body could use a lotta lovin'. I find the topology a bit strange. You seem to terminate perfectly valid lines in abrupt and inappropriate places and just randomly change the topology for no apparent reason. It's not very 'flowing'. I suspect you're going for the Stahlberg method of as low a poly model as possible, but that can be really bloody hard. The main reason that it's harder is that the lower poly the model the bigger the difference between cage and subdivided. Stahlberg's got models that hes been tweaking the topology of since the renaissance. They used to be granite and he converted to polys or something I dunno. This really isn't bad at all, but there's plenty of room for improvement. Dont forget to look at some reference of naked ladies!
  • pairorat
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for the critiques, great stuff to learn from unfortunately i got home late and didn't have as much time to work on this as I had hoped, but heres where I'm at. I'm a bit tired so bear with me -_-

Eq: i pulled the elbows down the arm slightly and also scaled the hands and slid them up slightly and i think you were spot on there. I also tried to clean up the geometry between the breasts

Elysiumx: i tweeked the clavicles and added a bit of rib/pectoral variation to the upper chest. good call about the knees i pulled them a bit wider. i wasn't quite sure what the teciques of "hit by a bus" smile.gif so i figgured you meant the higher concentration of unused faces/sloppy verts near the crest of the rib cage so i tried to clean the area up, also i wasn't quite sure what to do with the back so i tweeked it a bit smoother in its spinal curve didnt get around to giving her a cute belly yet, but I'll make ya proud soon

shotgun: Can you say boob lift!?! no more flower child mammaries round here

Daz: yea i was half using the edge loop method, half the stahlberg method (whenever i couldnt see a useful edgeloop to connect to create. i think for my next model I may try to use extrusion modelingfor the entire body and not just the head, box modeling still cofuses me a bit, hell all modeling does smile.gif

thanks for the opinions guys, all your critiques were very useful, just a matter now of how to fix it smile.gif

iva_s_t.jpg iva_f_t.jpg iva_b_t.jpg iva_3_t.jpg
    on a random note, went to see a speech today given by Butch Hartman, the creater of "The Fairly Odd Parents" of Nickolodeon. not that it matters any, just that it was cool smile.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    hey pair just noticed this thread, stuff is coming along nicely, especialy like your car model, here just incase you need some more images! http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=1&Number=63122&page=0&fpart=1
  • Zergxes
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18