Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

gauss' big, fat, awesomely awesome.... truck.

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
icon_exclaim.gif

Hey, so awhile back in the WAYWO thread I posted some shots of a truck model I did based off of a concept gauss posted awhile ago. I've began to texture it and thought I'd post an early whip. So far I've done a light and heavy shadow pass, an early markings pass, light dirt pass, and an edge pass. No detailing or anything yet. Some things about the model are off when compared to the concept as I wanted to handle things differently than the concept and not have it be exact. I am thinking of doing my own ornament so long as that's OK with gauss.

Truck:
bigtruck_wip_1.jpg

Concept:
concept.jpg

And wire:
bigtruck_wip_1b.jpg

Replies

• Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Adam, why go so low poly on much of the truck, then spend so many on the pipes on either side of the engine?

I'll bet just those pipes alone on both sides are running upwards of 500 polygons yes?

Its a good start, but I think you could be more economical.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Er shit, you know what. I fixed the poly count on the lights and completely forgot to do the pipes. Actually, the bottom set of pipes aren't even there! SHIT. What you mentioned was on my to-do list about a month ago and I completely missed it.

CRAP.

Thanks Ryan.
  • nealb4me
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff. I think the wheel compartments turned out a decent bit wider than in the concept. It's making the vehicle look closer to square from top down rather than long and narrow. Also with vehicles you dont have to model the lights as spheres like that, just duplicate and and collapse the outer edges and then pull the centre point out a tad. Looking forward to seeing more on the texture smile.gif
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks neal. For the lights I wanted to show that they have a trim around them much like in the concept rather than have it be all round.

Thanks for the comments :P
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    mmm, can see this turnin out nice.. get ur crack-ass movin tongue.gif
  • motives
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    looks good Brome. Guess no point in pointin stuff out concept->model since u are not gonna be exact anyways smile.gif

one thing tho if you can spare the polys maybe you can chamfer a few edges to give them subtle differences in weight. Break things up a bit you know? Rather than having all of em razorsharp.

Also i think the front bumper smooths a bit weird at the sides. Actually that area seems not so consistent in design.. I donno might wanna spend some polys and time on that area.

Anyways, seems to shaping up nicely! Keep the updates coming
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Overall, pretty good, but the model appears MUCH shorter than the concept in length (depth). Looks like it could be scaled almost double in length.
  • Crash
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    i thought you liked pinching per
  • Darksun
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    great info Per! Thanx smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Oh wow, per posted the crits i would have if i wasnt so lazy. Awesome.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey thanks per, I'll make those changes.
    I actually had the truck longer in the original and interpretted the truck to be somewhat "stumpy" so I shortened it up a little. Hmm
  • EarthQuake
    i think its kind of hard to tell proportions without seeing a shot at the same angle/fov as the concept
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool, Brome. I agree with the crits about the length/width of it - I thought the concept seemed a little narrower, but longer... you've made it seem almost as wide as it is long, which doesn't feel right for a vehicle, IMHO.

EarthQuake: Your avatar now makes you look like an asshole. If anybody wonders why we don't have more female members, I give you exhibit A here.
  • nealb4me
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    I was getting at exactly what Per has shown you there, I didn't mean for you to remove the flat outer part wink.gif
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    MoP: so in other words, EQ's new avatar is more representative smile.gif

Brome: personally i'm not agreeing with the choices you've made that deviate from the concept--but you told me you're not looking to keep it faithful to concept, so what can i say? kinda weird since you're advertising the pimp with my concept and my name on it, but you're not really trusting the concept to execute it all the way. that being said, i am looking forward to seeing it further developed.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    As the artist behind the concept what changes would you like to see...
  • Zergxes
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Holy cow! Teamwork... artists getting proper credit... this forum is everything that other art forums lack! Keep it up guys!
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    well brome as you recall, i did send you the max file that contained the mockup i used when i did this concept, but i believe you neglected to make any use of that. though it of course is a very rough approximation, model-wise, it does cover the proportions of the vehicle exactly, which yours doesn't quite. so importing the mockup into your scene and doing a bit of scaling would probably help quite a bit.

aside from not using the mockup, the wheel wells are too snug (though not by much).
    the body line that follows where the wheel well sockets into the main body is too high, and the grill is treated in a very different manner.
    the headlight glass should be flat cylinders protruding slightly, not globes.

i'm not quite sure what you mean when you say that you say that the concept is "loose". what details from the drawing are difficult to resolve?

and don't think i'm angry, it's just that i've been in this position before. people do a model of a concept of mine, and then ask me if it's ok to change things--if you want to take your own course, you're quite welcome to, but most of the time i'm going to prefer the design the way i drew it, since that's why i drew it the way i did. smile.gif
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'll definitely bring the model back in to check it out in comparison to mine. Where did I say the concept was loose? It's a great concept - I wouldn't have wanted to model it otherwise. I just hope to do it justice.