Home General Discussion

Quake4 first impressions

Replies

• Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    My first impression right now is that it doesn't work.
    Been trying for the last few hours to get it working and after many system restarts, loading and quitting from the game, downloading every driver under the sun for my machine, it kicks me out to the desktop regularly.

Furthest I've gotten so far without a problem is the 3rd enemy you meet.

Also, despite the fact I'm running well about recommended spec, (I can run both Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 full spec)it runs like ass even on the lowest settings on my machine.

I'll try and take it back tomorrow and wait for the 360 version, which is not ideal.

I had some problems running the FEAR demo too, in the sense that whenever I tried to play it would just kick me to the preorder website without loading the game.

I'm starting to think about giving up on PC gaming.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Do you use a writer as your primary disc drive?
  • Isis' Minion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
    I picked it up today, mostly interested in the MP...hope RA4 will come around soon, as there arent a lot of maps yet and the hallways are quite narrow.

Anyone know of a way to open up console? If so, where can i find a list of console commands? Is it possible to do "seta cg_fov 120"?
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    I got some sort of "ERROR: Can't verify blah blah blah.pk4." and some other junk. I figured if I copied the data from the cd's onto my computer I could install the game, but I got a cyclic redundancy error on one .pk4 file (pak10.pk4 in my case) and I could not copy the file whatsoever.
    I would have returned it immediately but Gamestop was already closed. What I wound up doing was using an app called Magic ISO to make an image of the damaged cd and then extracted the information from the ISO file itself into an install folder I created on my desktop. For some reason the data sectors on the cd in question are all messed up and Magic ISO (or any other cd image creator app) will correct sectors as it makes the image on your hard drive. I also copied the other cd's data into the appropriate directories within that install folder too. I installed again and all worked fine and that seemed to do the trick for me. I noticed that the installation went in order from pak1-12 but the paks on disc 1 were 10, 11, and 12 and not 01, 02, and 03…. But doing all of that worked and I burned that folder with all of the CD’s data as a single DVD so that I could reinstall the game with the DVD the next time around.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis: In Doom 3 you had to use either CTRL+ALT+~ or use "+set com_allowConsole 1".
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Fear > Q4 SP? No thanks, I prefer my games to be other than meaningless horror/slasher shows.

That, and how many other games portray YOU as the attacker, not defender of earth/life/survival?
  • Isis' Minion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah...found the console commands...
    set g_fov 120
    com_showfps 1

about 30 fps, with tweaked doom3 autoexec from gamefaqs.com...MP is playable (on my dad's pc...FX5700LE), but i'm going to buy a new pc (my Ti4200 has had it's peak now tongue.gif )...
  • Zergxes2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes2 polycounter lvl 17
    Did it actually come with the mod tools they were saying it would? Has anyone opened them up? So far I have found no info about it- except old press from E3 saying that Q4 would have them. I'm going to wait till its price goes down a few bucks unless it has somewhat friendly mod tools.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you ever use the mod tools in Doom 3? There is no way to split a D3 engine game from its tools because all you have to do is enter "Editor" into the console to bring up the Radiant and Edit[sumthing] to bring up the specific editors.

See iddevnet.com for some in-depth stuff.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Did it actually come with the mod tools they were saying it would? Has anyone opened them up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the "Special DVD Edition", and all the extras seem to be some movies, concept art and Quake 2 with a couple of the expansion paks. Maybe they'll do a point release, patch or punch in the zipper for the users.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    this was posted earlier:
    http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=12852&highlight=

info on the editor, and how to create shortcuts to them.
    I just want to know if PPM support is better than D3 for the multiplayer.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to buy it and look into the PPM support myself but 47 Euros for a freaking generic FPS is just too damn much.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Doom3 is already down to $20 USD. Which, all things considered, is closer to what it's worth. I may just see how Q4 ages, and wait for the price and hype to drop.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    cochtl: that was the exact same stuff I was getting. Not being able to read from the disc etc. I took it back, got another set of discs and it did the same thing, but continually hitting retry when that error came up made it work and finish installing. *shrug*
  • Zergxes2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks KDR. I'd been there before, but I forgot to bookmark it. I have so many side projects in the pipe I'll be lucky if I finish any of it. Like getting my hosting to work properly. Grrr.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    I am actually liking the multiplayer a lot. I have so far been owning with every weapon each map has to offer. Usually its nothing but rails for me there are too many people online to shoot at. I've been falling for the nail gun seeing as people seem to have a hard time maneuvering around the shots it fires. the shotgun is way overpowered and the hyperblaster is only worth using when in conjuction with the quad. That said, tournament mode is pretty interesting. A tourney tree is made and a whole bunch of games run simultaneously until a winner is decided. you can jump in everyone's game and see how each match is doing. as people win the tourney tree gets tighter until the top two contenders enter the final match and duke it out. cool stuff.

bearkub, as for the CD errors: weird. I kept pressing ignore and retry but it never finished the installion, everything just froze up on me. If i ever have a problem is always resort to making an image and installing the contents of the image from my hard drive. seems to work every time. Stupid dumb CD's that are...stupid...and dumb >_<
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    Ill have to agree with STF (batman btw) on the textures. Some of them are just fucking ass. Also, the maps seem to have alot less detail then the doom3 ones which probably gives yall a better framerate.

Oh. The shotgun and machinegun designs? Seriously. Shotgun could pull a better design out of his stoner ass on a monday.

Other that that its pretty cool i guess. The bosses where pretty damn cool.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I'm actually having a lot of fun with the Q4 single player. It's not very original but for me it's quality shooting action.
    But then again I had fun with Doom 3 too.

I think that it looks pretty damn good most of the times. The skyboxes in the outside parts are very very bad though.
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Help me, i cant play smile.gif well just useless i guess, how on earth do you put a scratch on that brain boss. Any ideas? Enjoying the game though, havn't given up half way through so that not a bad sign. The girlfriend is looking over my shoulder getting stress so have to give the pc to here now, but I think its a good sequal to the quake seriese, just like betting q2 and 3 on the same cd.

tpe
  • Zergxes2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I just don't have a head for this stuff, but are there some tutorials that describe all the cycles needed for a playable doom3/quake 4 character, and how to get those cycles to correspond with the proper actions in d3 or q4?

I get the feeling I should brush up and just get something into UT2K4 first.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look into the animations folder, the Doom 3 engine keeps the animations separate from the mesh. The animations for the weapons belonged to the weapons themselves in Doom 3 (because they were used for both the view model and the playermodel), if they kept that in Quake 4 custom animations might be impossible.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Help me, i cant play smile.gif well just useless i guess, how on earth do you put a scratch on that brain boss. Any ideas?
    tpe

[/ QUOTE ]

*hint* Look above the brain.

Overall IMO it's a good game, gameplay feels longer than Doom3 (although it is a 8-10 hour game if you run and gun all the way).

One thing I'm dissapointed is the sound effects, I just don't feels the weapons in the game (same problem I felt with doom 3)
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Many thanks Rwolf.

Maybe the sound affects wernt great, but i thought the way the sound was used was really well done. It really kept the atmosphere going and with all the dialogue gave a nice feeling of being involved in the plot as opposed to having cutscene narrations all the time, which for me is a vast improvement smile.gif

tpe
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone noticed that when you zoom in with the MG but not the RG in MP the crosshairs are in the wrong place? Hmnn seems to be only when you change resolutions so i guess it is a bug (but small at least)? No transporter or other delayed powerups in MP either unfortunatly. It could be a pain making weapons for it as they may need hand animations and the difference in poly count between first and third person models seems very high. If anyone is having problems with ATI cards they have a new driver 5.10 beta on their site for it btw, which got rid of some intermittant graphics glitches and crashes to the desk top for me.

tpe

SO WHO IS UP FOR MULTIPLAYER NEXT WEEKEND???
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I just managed to put a character ingame as a ppm, right now you still have to type a damn command line (I'll try to find an alternative though)to change your model, but at least it works.
    I'll write down a little something once I will be sure that everything works fine.

I'd be up for some polyfrag aswell smile.gif
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, I finally got Quake 4 the other day. To be honest I can't see how someone can knock the singleplayer part of this game.. Sure, it isn't as good as FEAR but I enjoyed it a hell of a lot and there's some great scenes dotted around.

Multiplayer isn't as good as I was expecting, there are elements I'd beg to change, but it's full of potential. Just requires the community to squeeze it out smile.gif

I'd be up for a polycounters game if y'all could get it goin.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I love it! smile.gif

Rekindled my love for the Quake series.

But, it runs like ass on my 64bit 4000+ and 6600gt
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Just beat this, and I agree strongly with the comments of Strangefate and Sumguy here. Overall, I least impressed by this than any of the quake series and will likely play it the least. They had some really artsy-fartsy levels later on, but overall they were a clusterfuck of detail. I thought the game was awful until post-stroggification. Then it felt like a Quake, and the later levels had some fun areas. Comparing with other titles I've been playing, they were too few and far between. Every weapon seemed like the same rapid fire gun, I'd hold down till I ran out of ammo then weapon switch to whatever gun for the same effect. Though that one BFG thing was good for a silent, unnoticably quick boss kill. Very "ok", like a Doom3 expansion pack than a real game. Now to move on to the real deal, FEAR.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Err, I haven't played Q4 yet, but FEAR wasn't impressive to me, cholden. It's visuals are 'on par', but that's about it.
    At least the demo, anyways. Just not exciting to me.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pshhh, better than me... Athlon +2000, Radeon 9800. Playing it at 640x480.... I never though I had to ever use this resolution since back in the beging of the year 2000

(don't wanna dump money for a hardware upgrade cause I'm amempting to save somthing before school start for me. frown.gif )
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    I have a 3200XP,128mb 6600GT and 1GB ram and I play it fine @1280x1024 on high quality. Single player is good, really enjoyable.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, it has no USK rating, maybe I should grab it quick before it's indexed and the stores stop carrying it... OTOH, 47EUR is STILL too much.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    it's german version is already very different from the standard one, all the paks are changed in some way (well at least we know the checksums no longer match) so trying to play on an american pure server will surely fail.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It says "Original English Version" and has a BBFC sticker (saying "Excessive Bloody Violence". Is that "Excessive Fucking Violence" in American English?). False advertising?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    it's just "Intense Violence" over here...

Apparently, ragdolls make violence intense, heh. I miss the old Animated violence descriptor when that was applied to just about everything. It's still aniamted

right
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    I'm gonna let my copy sit on the shelf until I finish FEAR. Playing MP was a bit freaky.. like a prettyfied old skool fragfest. dunno if Im much for that gameplay anymore. SP is not too bad, but it's tough to get into while Im still playing a better SP game, FEAR.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

had similar crappy frame rate problems, updated agp and graphics card drivers, runs great now. went from getting less than 10fps in outdoor areas at 800x600 to constant 60 every where at 1024x768
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

vahl -
    I just managed to put a character ingame as a ppm, right now you still have to type a damn command line (I'll try to find an alternative though)to change your model, but at least it works.
    I'll write down a little something once I will be sure that everything works fine.

I'd be up for some polyfrag aswell smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great man , I'm waiting for Your tutorial.cool.gif

Thank You
    merci d'avance
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    I hope someone makes a Lithium style mod. A hook that looks more realistic but with the same physics as Lithium 2's hook would be awesome!

I really hope we have another that its a game that will be heavily PPM'd.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    I,m having a good time with the single player, but I wish these guys would get out of my way and let me shoot. Do they ever leave you alone?
  • Zergxes2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that animation folder compressed within another file type or is it just loose in the Doom3 folder? I'm not seeing it anywhere.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All ID software engines use package files, ever since Quake 3 they are just using renamed ZIPs. Open the .pk4s with your ZIP program.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    all the animations are weapon-dependent, like in doom3.
    I had to re-build the skeleton to get one in t-pose as all the mp skeletons have the idle pose you see in the character selection screen in order to get my character ingame. plus each new character (with custom anims, I mean) needs an articulated figure, some animations are blended (like fire-xweapon+run).

to import the md5mesh and anims you will need der_ton's importer (I think kdr already stated about this), to get it working ingame you will need some text file edition.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at the weapons. I'm not too impressed. I'd actually rather see marine weapons. Oh well. That doesn't look anything like a rocket launcher. And all the weapons look the same.

I haven't even played the game yet but still.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    "stick to sending rockets into space john becuase yuor new engine si teh pits and thank yuo raven software for somehow cramming Doom 3 inside Quaek 2 to make a brand new game based on meat men robots on Mars waht a special treat for this holliday indeed"

hahaha. I've still got to check it out, after a video card upgrade of course.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    heres an accurate review of the game:
    http://www.somethingawful.com/jeffk/hotgamez2005/page-4.html

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO!
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can someone get some screnshots? Id like to see what player characters look like,.... as well as what the player choose screen looks like.
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    your wish etc etc

quake4screen.jpg

tpe
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Awesome story, nice level design and pacing, top notch voice acting even has Peter Stormare. I highly recommend this game, I was so addicted to the single player I stayed up until 5:00AM to finish the game in one sitting. Way better than doom3. My only complaints are world textures are super low res and the outdoor lighting has pitch black razor sharp shadows even though it is an over cast day. Apparently there is no such thing as an ambient light in the world of doom3.