Home Technical Talk

Calling All Painter Users

Fordy
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Fordy polycounter lvl 18
I was kinda wondering what medium you artists use to paint either your model textures or concept art if you use Painter?

Im guessing it would be Acrylics?

Just trying to find the most used medium without too much trial and error.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    lately i've been using the artist oils, then i'll go in the brush customizer and have pressure control opacity. The artist oils have a very smooth feel to them and you can use them with the pallet knives under the same section.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't used Painter in a while, but I always liked the square Oil Pastels. Nice feel to them.
    For some reason, try as I might, I could never get a brush that worked like Photoshop's, so I gave up smile.gif
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    i would really recommend trying the brushes i mentioned up there mop. Coming from PS it helps make things at least act like a cross between photoshop and artrage. I think the artist oils are new to version 9 because i dont remember seeing them when i tried painter before. They have a nice blending feel but theres also some that dont have the brush texture which can get in the way at times, and by setting the opac to pressure it feels a bit more like PS.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the Artists Oils are new for Painter IX. I did quite enjoy using them, they're fun to play around with, but I had trouble actually making anything look good rather than just fooling around with them.
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers guys, your feedback is as always highly appreciated!
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    painter is the god of all painting software(uh oh...just my opinion). it depends on what version you have. if you happen to come across painter 6, i advise you to snatch that bad boy up. and try out the watercolor brushes...mainly the simple round. using that in tandem with the just add water brush in the liquid menu is pure joy. otherwise, you can do no wrong with a good ol camel brush and some acrylics.

oh btw, i heard that water color brush i'm talking about is back in 9 so...give it try. it's funny tho...i truly believe painter has taken a step back from Painter6 with every iteration.....*sigh*
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    Is Painter essentials 2 any good?
    It came with my wacom.
    Or should I just stick with my Photoshop CS for painting,I seem to be getting along great with it and my tablet.
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry CMB I havent tried Painter Essentials, so I cant say.