Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Goth Chun Li

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Crylar polycounter lvl 18
This is a Chun Li model I have been working on

chunli0012fs.png

I'm happy how the mesh ended up, but I was to lazy when making the UVmap so it didn't turn out too good. A leason well learned.
Flat Texture

Replies

• spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    well...I am going to put this as softly as I can. her chin is really manly. she has somewhat of popeye arms. and her legs are excessive. not so sure about the plumbers crack either. the arms look sort of popeye-ish. the wrists...are really thick. and you need to seriously feminize the hands. seriously she has a crossdresser's face. he looks like a lady...kidding...I will try to say some good things too...the cloths look good. for being lazy the texture is not too bad. the hips look ok. hope that helps in your quest to conquer the world
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    oh and the eyes really need ALOT of work.

But overall it is not that bad smile.gif
  • jzero
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like you have the modeling down pretty well, but the skin is the real problem. The skin has too many hard lines laid down without enough of a full spectrum of tones. The only darks are above the waist, and that's a shaded gray. Your shading is basically right, but it's not accurate enough to look real.

The face looks like a mask. A fright mask. Was that your intent? The eyes are very flat and the mouth looks painted on. I'm just getting some quick hits in, there are others on the board who will be able to tell you more.

/jzero
  • Crylar
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, Well I'm glad your being honest.
    The arms are very much as I would like them, so are her legs. Even though it doesn't show to much she is still Chun Li, and there for not 100% realistic. And here face are supposed to stand out, maybe not in the wrong way though.

chunlianatomi9jo.png
    Did some tweaking.

chunliface4nn.png
    And here too.

Heh, Yes, her eyes do need some polish.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Ye gods thats creepy looking.

I wonder whether you'd be better to go for a more chinese looking face. The facial structure is probably rather more suited to it and it'd make her more recognisable as Chun Li
  • Moz
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    nightmares....
  • Etienne
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know... Her eye seems like it's going to fall out of the socket. Ewww...

Etienne
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    the eye is way too big and too high...or maybe the ear is too low/small, but there's something here.

Proportions are good on the body though

definately go for a chinese face, I couldn't imagine chun-li with a caucasian face tongue.gif
  • Crylar
    Offline / Send Message
    chunliface0026qd.png
    Well, leaving the manga like eyes and trying a more realistic look.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    *aaahh*

it feels like someone removed a rock that was wedged in my face. so glad you changed the eyes.
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    critique5ei.jpg
    i like the progress...one thing eyebrows. go to google and type gothic girl under images. I am currently working on a goth skin for my dragon chick and there are lots of good references
  • Crylar
    Offline / Send Message
    heh, I do have alot of good Goth references. But since she is supposed to be more then just goth, abit freaky, removeing teh eye brows really makes the face unusual. Though this works better if the rest of the texture looks more realistic.
    chunlifacerotate5py.png
  • EarthQuake
    Hey man, nice to see you posting something. The eyes are a definate improvement, but there still is quite a lot i would change with the face. The first thing i notice in the first shot is that with default shading this dosent look very good at all, i would add some more detail to the face so that it smooths well with lighting. I think you should re-model the lips, the way you have them right now again does not make for good smoothing and dosent really follow the shape of lips very well, the corners of the lips stick out instead of going in like they should and the way you have them connected in the center is kind of akward. I would make an edge loop all the way around the lips(further out than just the lips actually) and then go in from there, when i do lips i dont connect them in the center because there should be a hard edge there. Heres an image to show what i mean about the lips, even tho its much higher res the same prinipals still apply(just with less edges of course.)
    lips.jpg

And then we go on to the shape of the jaw, in this last pic here it dosent look too bad but if im right those are shots without perspective? If so the problem is that you're modeling with perspective off and when you show a render with perspective it looks wrong. What you need to do to fix this is shrink in the face(or stretch out the skull) so that the head looks too wide without perspective and hopefully it will look correct with perspective on, this takes time to learn how to do properly and i've only recently gotten it right with my models. Also for a femine jaw you want pretty much a V-shape when looking at it below, what you ahve now looks like it might be move of a U shape. Some more polys at the jaw line to help out the smoothing again would help too.
  • Crylar
    Offline / Send Message
    You are right in that that pic is taken with out perspective. But I use Wings3D and model in nothing but perspective, then import them to maya and use PS to texture them and Maya to render them, that is why I do not like changeing the mesh after starting with the texturing, also because the UV map is already made and I want to avoid destortion.
    chunliface0035nu.png
    This is perspective though.
  • EarthQuake
    Well man, you can change it and have a good mesh, or you can keep it as it is and have a mesh that isnt going to look good lit in a game engine. Its up to you. Tweaking uvs isnt that hard.
  • Crylar
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, true. But Then again you can allways keep editing to try too reach perfection, but it will never happen. You can allways keep working on you model, but at some points you have to say, this will be the final. Or you can just keep working on it and never think it's enough.
    Though, I will use this in my portfolio and I rather want many nice works then one uber.

There are still many many models looking wors then this one used in games. I'm happy with how it looks considering on how very littel time I have spent on it.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    You could stop now, the downside is you're going to run into the same problems and critiques you've avoided on your next piece. You'll either have to learn then or continue dodging education. In my opinion, this, along with all other characters in your portfolio are first pass model/textures lacking final quality. I realize you're still young and having fun here, but consider trying to put some work at the same final product quality as art from game companies you want to work for someday. Remember, your failure paves the road of someone else's success.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    What's up with the skin being a different colour on her legs than her torso? If you're using your portfolio to try and get yourself a gaming job I'd suggest following the advice of those who have given it or leave this one out.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Load her back into Wings and fix the friggin jaw. You haven't spent enough time on the skin texture to worry about distortions.

[ QUOTE ]
    There are still many many models looking worse then this one used in games. I'm happy with how it looks considering on how very littel time I have spent on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

if that's what motivates you.
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    brome: she's got white makeup on her face, on her torso is bare skin, and of course she's wearing some sort of panty hose.

crylar, i agree with you--you could continue to tweak it, and that would work out well, but it would also be a good idea to move on, do another model. especially if it's another female model, so you can apply what you've learned in the process of building this one and apply to the next.

not so sure if it's portfolio material...seeing worse models in game is about the worst reason possible for not working on it. people working on a game often have very difficult restrictions in terms of time available to finish a given model etc. etc... a portfolio piece should most certainly be better than average or below average production art, because you're supposed to spend more time on your portfolio pieces.

what's going to happen is that someone is going to see this piece in your portfolio and assume that you gave it the best that you have, when in reality you are "happy with how it looks considering on how very littel time I have spent on it." which is not what you want in your portfolio. so keep working on this or do another model--but unless it gets improved further, it really doesn't belong in a portfolio.
  • Crylar
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Gauss!
    Unbelivable your the first one to see what I mean.

Well it's true she might not be suited for a portfolio piece, but My next model will be a female too, and what you said was just what I was thinking.

I think this model will end up in some archive and I might pick it up and finish it later on. But I won't spend more time on her right now.

I'm very glad to see you all take time and give me comments and critics, I do take them to notice and I will think of them when makng my next model. I'm very glad you are all honest when posting and do let me know where I need more skills.
  • EarthQuake
    Moving on to something else is fine, i do it all the time. But if you're gonna make excuses other than that you're gonna get shit here man. =)

Are you ever on irc anymore or what?
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looks cool man. I like the improvements you made to the eye immensely. Why no alpha on her bangs plane? I like the overall structure of the model, but the texture seems a little rushed.

Hurry and implement what you learned on this model into your next so we can see it.